how can i identify a jl sub

Pstroke96

Reaction score
a while ago i bought a jl sub from a friend of mine along with an okay amp. i want to upgrade the amp to one with some more power but i want to know how much the speaker is rated for so i dont blow it. whats the best way to figure that out? i couldnt see and identifying marks or names on it without taking it out of the box. thanks guys!

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Put up a pic of it, that would help a ton. Is there anything near the bottom? Would said something like W and a number, but I don't think W1's say anything...

Pstroke96

Reaction score
heres a few pics of it

DSCN2787.jpg

DSCN2786.jpg

Irishcream

Reaction score
You are better hooking up an over powered amp than an underpowered amp to those subs. Distortion causes speakers to blow not power. The speakers will draw what they need and you will learn what is their limit. If you underpower them you will reret it both in the sound and the length of the life of those subs.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
I've watched your avatar for about 45 seconds now..

LOL you could watch it for hours

You are better hooking up an over powered amp than an underpowered amp to those subs. Distortion causes speakers to blow not power. The speakers will draw what they need and you will learn what is their limit. If you underpower them you will reret it both in the sound and the length of the life of those subs.

oh okay that makes sense. i only have the one sub so i should get one like 500 watts?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well I gotta know what @ what ohm level they are stable at? Its a single right?
How many voice coils? How many ohm does it operate at?

Irishcream

Reaction score
A lot of sub amps are coming with RCA outputs to run another amp for high end sound used like a built in crossover. Don't run your sub and high end speakers on the same amp. Use a second amp for another set of speakers.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Voice coils can be determined by number of hook ups.

Irishcream

Reaction score
:whs:
It will have two sets of spade connectors or screw terminals. Make sure the gain is all the way up in the amp and control the level from the Head unit. By turning the gain down and trying to turn the volume up you are sending a weak signal to the sub. Strong signal from the amp is very important.

Irishcream

Reaction score
Well, there's your god damn problem right there. Check the sub for two connections on the back, may already be wired for duals.

Latest posts

Members online