How many miles on your 6.4?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
There is no way that mileage on a 6.4. Lol

I don't know, I didn't see it myself but thats what my buddy said. Dude hotshots with it, and or did before he wrecked it. Seemed like a straight up guy. I know when I bought mine there was a guy trading his 6.0 in with over 500k on it and it still looked almost new. Some people just take good care of their truck and others don't. I know mine has over 230k on it and when I tore the motor down it looked almost new.

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
WHS. 200k if your lucky, 300k if you are blessed, lucky, and take immaculate care of it. LOL

I have over 230K on mine, pulled it apart this year and it looked almost new inside. Its all in how you take care of your things. I've had plenty of people come in here and say they pamper their truck and maintain the heck out of it, except they don't. Everyone's idea of good maintenance and care is so different, some people think changing their oil every 20K is good maintenance.

TyCorr

Reaction score
LOL ha ha yep...

The newest 6l we have at the shop has 125k on it. One has 385k. And it runs...just fine. No studs. The egr is gone/doolitted but other than that its just a high mileage 6oh that is "unreliable".

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I don't care if you held a connecting rod up and it shined like a mirror... Doesn't mean squat... 6.4 with 300k+ that let's give it the benefit of being ******d at let's say 125k, is almost non existent.

I have both fleet and personal vehicles I service. And I have yet to see a 6.4 with original motor passed 200k. When the truck shows the mileage it has a remand motor in it guaranteed. I just tossed a remand unit in a fleet vehicle that yes saw idle time, but it was PTO idle time. 112k. #8 stuck and melted down. Had another with 63k melt down #2. All clean filters. Today got one 115k, needs complete top end, rockers are sticking valves open. I've done complete fuel systems @93k..complete systems... $11k!!!! It's insane. These motors do not make their scheduled life... Not even half of it sometimes. It's a shame cause when they run, they run...

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I don't care if you held a connecting rod up and it shined like a mirror... Doesn't mean squat... 6.4 with 300k+ that let's give it the benefit of being ******d at let's say 125k, is almost non existent.

I have both fleet and personal vehicles I service. And I have yet to see a 6.4 with original motor passed 200k. When the truck shows the mileage it has a remand motor in it guaranteed. I just tossed a remand unit in a fleet vehicle that yes saw idle time, but it was PTO idle time. 112k. #8 stuck and melted down. Had another with 63k melt down #2. All clean filters. Today got one 115k, needs complete top end, rockers are sticking valves open. I've done complete fuel systems @93k..complete systems... $11k!!!! It's insane. These motors do not make their scheduled life... Not even half of it sometimes. It's a shame cause when they run, they run...
Like I said my personal truck has over 230k on it, original motor from pan to heads, even the HPFP. Though its been non emissions since new. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score

There are plenty of 6.4's with original engines over 200k. Mine with 216k has only had a radiator replaced, and an up pipe broke where the EGR provision was, that's it. It's getting another 3k + put on it next month when I drive it to Louisiana to work, then to Texas for Thanksgiving, and back to NC.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Like I said my personal truck has over 230k on it, original motor from pan to heads, even the HPFP. Though its been non emissions since new. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You guys are very lucky. I hate to phrase it that way also.

As many as I've fixed, I've had just as many towed out cause owner didn't want to get it fixed

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Its not luck its just taking care of your things. Hell I've done plenty of preventative maintenance on mine too. Something's that were perfectly fine and in good working order but had high miles and I knew would go out at the most inconvenient time, so I replaced them before that point. Others I've upgraded, but for the most part I stay in top of my maintenance and I don't beat the piss out of it like a stupid teenager.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I could go both ways on maintenance. The 6.0 I just bought from a customer. 196k. Religious maintenance. We did all the work on it over the years. He did his own oil every 4k, insides of this motor look new. Lost a lifter.

Tow trucks... Tow trucks... Ughh.. The reg cab guys that repo.. Nothing is ever changed on these things. Napa filters everywhere. Rotella every 15k if your lucky... Best running trucks ever... Lol

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ok last one, I don't want to derail this thread anymore..

One of those tow trucks. Had 230k. Had a misfire.. He wanted one injector and one injectors changed only.. So I changed it... Best running truck I ever had. Coulda balanced a glass of wine on it...
20130411_104228_zps8612f2dd.jpg
20130411_104648_zpsbbe2213b.jpg

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Tow trucks are a different story, I've never had one come in that didn't need a ton of repairs. But on the lifters that hit or miss, mine looked fine at 229k miles but I wasn't going to push it and swapped new ones in. But one crap quality filter could ruin a lot of things.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I'll get some picks of one that's worse than that I'm doing a motor swap on. It ran awesome too. Weird as hell that it did though given the condition.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I have over 230K on mine, pulled it apart this year and it looked almost new inside. Its all in how you take care of your things. I've had plenty of people come in here and say they pamper their truck and maintain the heck out of it, except they don't. Everyone's idea of good maintenance and care is so different, some people think changing their oil every 20K is good maintenance.

I change my oil at 20-25k and have over 200k on my 6.4 with a cracked block dumping coolant into the oil since 140k. But I suppose I'm also an oil nerd and do this every day of my life with everything from lawn mowers to 40 million dollar turbines. Outlier in a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I change my oil at 20-25k and have over 200k on my 6.4 with a cracked block dumping coolant into the oil since 140k. But I suppose I'm also an oil nerd and do this every day of my life with everything from lawn mowers to 40 million dollar turbines. Outlier in a way.

My point, cracks don't shrink by the way. But they do grow.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
My point, cracks don't shrink by the way. But they do grow.

I am sure it's growing, I can see an incremental increase in coolant in the analysis reports. But something in me wants to see how far she can go. Its a way to put my money where my mouth is about my oil. Any oil can perform in a good running engine, lets pour a soupy mess in there and see what happens in an engine notorious for short life spans. So far so good, 62k of soup ala wrong head stud torque and still going. Not recommending this FYI. Just an experiment with futility I suppose.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I am sure it's growing, I can see an incremental increase in coolant in the analysis reports. But something in me wants to see how far she can go. Its a way to put my money where my mouth is about my oil. Any oil can perform in a good running engine, lets pour a soupy mess in there and see what happens in an engine notorious for short life spans. So far so good, 62k of soup ala wrong head stud torque and still going. Not recommending this FYI. Just an experiment with futility I suppose.

I smell what you're stepping in now, not a bad idea for your purpose.

Latest posts

Members online