How to black chrome?

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get all my emblems and all the bars inside the grill on my 2011 black chromed when I get my bumpers and the outside of my grill PTM. I was looking at the duplicolor shadow black chrome paint, but after seeing some stuff on my buddies Harley I'm not to impressed. Can you guys think of anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Not sure either, i would imagine you could do something similar to taillights and mix up a cocktail of clear and black to smoke it out a little and coat to your liking.

I think there is an actuall black chrome process that you could send the grill off and have done, but im betting its not that cheap.

Im in for some results too, never thought about the center bars being black chrome, that would probably look pretty good

slc dzl

Reaction score
I tryed Vht night shade and it looked pretty good with a light coat. Then I thought I would darken it
A bit and added more, and it killed the black chrome look.
But if you got something to test it on I say give it a try but work it in light coats.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The one thing i just thought of is making it actually stick to the chome without scuffing it, and even then its still likely to not stick...

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Not sure either, i would imagine you could do something similar to taillights and mix up a cocktail of clear and black to smoke it out a little and coat to your liking.

I think there is an actuall black chrome process that you could send the grill off and have done, but im betting its not that cheap.

Im in for some results too, never thought about the center bars being black chrome, that would probably look pretty good

I've thought about that. Mixing black paint and clear. I think the front end would look sick if had my bumper and outside of the grill grey to match, headlights black, and the chrome bars and recon super duty letters done in black chrome

Dzchey21

Reaction score
What color is your truck?

I was going to do the same thing but chrome bars in the center since my wheels are chrome.

BUT then Nate posted pictures of his T-rex grill and i thought about paint matching that allong with the shell. Too many ways to skin this cat but i do like the idea of black chrome

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Your right on the duplicolor stuff. Tried it on some Didge badging, but it doesn't come out even and won't stick to coroners. Basically ruined a set of badges......

I'm wondering if that cycle shop in Battle Ground that does powder coating can do anything???? If not I would say the clear/color spray mix is the next best thing. If you do figure anything out, I got a few badges and things to do!!!!

VanoFord

Reaction score
I used knight chrome on my old truck cab vents, the rings. It turned out bad. Not even close to how the picture shows and I followed the directions to a T. No scuffing required. Just wasn't happy w/ the results and advise against. I'll look for pics on the laptop to tonight.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
What color is your truck?

I was going to do the same thing but chrome bars in the center since my wheels are chrome.

BUT then Nate posted pictures of his T-rex grill and i thought about paint matching that allong with the shell. Too many ways to skin this cat but i do like the idea of black chrome

Truck is charcoal grey(see pic). And I just ordered some bmf rehabs for it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359924402.533160.jpg

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
You could find a place that can do knight chrome like pro comp calls it for the one wheel they sell.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Well I just got off the phone with a shop in Nashville TN. Getting em plated is too expensive for my taste. To get the center of the grill, fender emblems, door emblems, front and rear ford emblems, and a set of chrome recon letters plated would be between $1500-2200. And he said it wouldn't hold up well on a daily driver. It's more of a show thing

truckman1974

Reaction score
:wtf:

Did you tell him you didn't want him to custom fabricate all new parts in Black Chrome that you just wanted him to try to coat some existing parts?????

Jeez.......

Rodslinger

Reaction score
aa6d8c716173aaf1921e65584146b7e9.jpg
5ebf616ccd2e7e755f06d8070b59185c.jpg

I've done a ton of chrome tinting over the years. The key is to prep the parts with a metal prep then a nice coat of Mathews Spray Bond Adhesive 274 793SP. Use good automotive refinish paint and it will last as long as any other painted surface.

Latest posts

Members online