I need a second opinion before I do something drastic.

bluedge8

Reaction score
what they said, also if you still haven't gotten an intake on it yet, buy some 4" pipe, 4" elbow and a napa 6637 air filter and you now have a custom intake that most people run. Run the truck until it is hot and change out the oil again. Read up on algae growth in the fuel and take care of that as well as getting the dyed fuel out. You will probably need to look at a replacement turbo if the compressor wheel has damage.

Palamides7.3

Reaction score
WHen i got the truck the turbo was capped off, and there was no intake pipe from the turbo to the airbox, and no ccv. Not sure how long it sat without that stuff, But i have the air ducts now, and ccv. I do have to change out all the fluids again, just gotta find a way to re-coup $80 every damn oil change.

As far as the Turbo spooling issue, I understand it's not going to create a significant amount of boost without a load. Basing my statements off of every Turbocharged vehicle i've ever been around, And owned... Without an air intake on the turbocharger itself, even during a free rev, it should spool enough to hear a little bit of a whistle. That is all i was getting at. If anything it had that old N/A IDI growl through the intake untill about 2k when it started to wake up. Lol, unfortunately where I live, a 7.3 is considered a Piece of scrap, and the Sh!tkickin' Cummins boys smoke everyone out constantly. So i'm basically on my own in the dark with this truck. And i understand all the Theory and technicalities about the modern diesels, it's just practical application that gets me. (I'm used to building turbo nissan coupes, and engine swapped hondas) the powerstroke has me all F-ed in the head. Especially after being a GM tech... I had enough trouble with the Dmax's, i assume that is where i lost 90% of my brainpower. haha

bluedge8

Reaction score
You dont need to change the other fluids twice , but if there is any chance of water still in the oil I'd change until your certain its gone. The 7.3 leaves a lot of oil in the engine after an oil change.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Gentlemen, obviously I'm a new member, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight. I got my 95 powerstroke three days ago. The truck has been sitting since 02' and its still got the old fuel... I've only started Maybe four times as I'm worried about the issues it has. First and foremost, It has 157k miles on it. It's got alot of water mixed in the oil under the valve covers, but it's been sitting with them half bolted down for months after it had a injector changed out. The screws on the injectors are starting to rust... And while running I get alot of white smoke/steam out of the filler cap and vents in the covers. No coolant in the oil though, like it just got rain in there? Also has alot of gray/white smoke out the tail pipe and it smells like diesel but not coolant. Not a head gasket issue? Another thing I noticed besides my intact hoses and crankcase vent stuff is missing, my compressor wheel has chips in the fins and I cant hear it spool. I can watch it spin while someone revs it, but it doesn't seem to be building boost. I have been told by the shops here it might need injector o-rings, or head gaskets, or injector cups, or Its got a dead cylinder. Nobody knows a damn thing about the 7.3 here, and it's driving me crazy. But it fires up immediately, and sounds good, even though its got old fuel. Any ideas guys? Maybe something to help me diagnose this beast? I'm tired of the guessing games with these shops. Especially when they want 4k for a used long block.

No offense, but it sounds like you might not know a ton about the 7.3 powerstroke.

1. If you have water in the oil or vice versa, you might wanna figure out why thats happening.
2. if your compressor is chipped, its fried. Start looking for a new wheel.
3. if you are seeing smoke and the throttle is hanging, it sounds like the turbo is chugging oil and sounds like its on its way to a runaway condition.

I have no air intake so the turbo is usually capped. When i ran it (Without the intake) i still couldn't hear it building boost. Not sure why.

You cant hear "boost", you cant sniff boost, and you cant feel boost (not with the stock turbo anyhow). You can read boost... with a gauge. What does your boost gauge read out?

Fired it up after a couple days of sitting because i needed to move it. All i've accomplished was tearing out and cleaning the ENTIRE inside of the truck, dash, wiring, heater boxes, all of it. Got it back in and everything is working except the thing isnt Running right still. Tossed a new fuel filter in it, She starts up great, and idles okay with a little surging, But i moved it, parked it, and gave it a rev (after it was idling for about 15mins) and it stopped and hung at 2k for a fraction of a second, then Shot up to 3k and blew the biggest cloud of black/gray/and white, i've ever seen from a powerstroke, ever. No check engine light, Turbo still isnt boosting. Getting ready to Change everything out soon.

The hanging throttle almost sounds like the turbo is eating engine oil and the truck might be on the verge of running away. Monitor oil consumption closely, and check the exhaust/dp for oil if possible.

Again, do you have a boost to back up your claim of the turbo not getting boost?

You dont need to change the other fluids twice , but if there is any chance of water still in the oil I'd change until your certain its gone. The 7.3 leaves a lot of oil in the engine after an oil change.

These heui trucks require ultra clean oil. Water in the oil = injectors wont fire.

Latest posts

Members online