I think i need more air (powermax 175s review)

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Interesting. Madpowerstroke is modding my pmax to basically a stage 1 as we speak. I have both the regular and pmax versions of Matts SRL I'll have to try them both and see which feels better. I'll only be able to use my butt dyno and 1/4 mile and 0-60 on my cts to get any kind of comparison.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Hopefully Matt will have my truck in his hands to live tune next week...so this may help you guys.

Dave R

Reaction score
I'm running 175/75's with the stock 03 turbo and see 1000* constant on a flat highway at 65-70mph and it goes up to 1200* on a hill. I have to let out even though I have the power to go. It'll peg quickly if I were to punch it. I don't like having to drive by the EGT gauge. I'm looking at a ported intake as I have seen 30's and low 40's for boost pressures so I know the air is there. It's just not getting through to the engine. I've got tons of power left over but it just won't cool off. I have a tow tune that has been adjusted about 3 times now but I'm not getting anywhere with the temps. Not to any fault of the tuner but I think live tuning is the only way to go when messing with a single upgraded part like this. Otherwise, porting everything and getting a bigger turbo all at once with the injectors would seem easier to work these types of issues out. Wish I had the money to throw at it. I'll start with the intake work first and then try another turbo if mine ever goes out.

BTW, I tow 9000-10,000# and am going to a 15,800# 5th wheel when I get this sorted out.

Good luck on your ventures

Dave

Last edited:

1fastTRX

Reaction score
If you already have a powermax then a MTW stage 2 may only be a negligible difference. 1.2mm bigger, but a .72 ar. Then you need to work with a tuner to dial it in. Not dogging the MTW turbos, but tuning is in the beginning stages still. If you were picking a turbo and were currently running a stock then I would say jump on the stage 2. Im guessing an intake manifold would help quite a bit. A batmowheel also. Im hoping to get all the air Mods done first then get bigger injectors if possible (california emissions)

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
If you already have a powermax then a MTW stage 2 may only be a negligible difference. 1.2mm bigger, but a .72 ar. Then you need to work with a tuner to dial it in. Not dogging the MTW turbos, but tuning is in the beginning stages still. If you were picking a turbo and were currently running a stock then I would say jump on the stage 2. Im guessing an intake manifold would help quite a bit. A batmowheel also. Im hoping to get all the air Mods done first then get bigger injectors if possible (california emissions)

The tuning is still in the beginning stages and has a ways to go to get ALL these turbos have to offer out. But, we have had several guys towing with Pmaxes try out a MTW turbo and absolutely love it.

I do think that a ported intake manifold would do a lot for the temp issues. The bat-mo-wheel hasn't done much for my temps though. My AIS water/meth kit helped drop my temps 200-250* at WOT.

Latest posts

Members online