Intake Plenums

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I have the Riffraff ones and have also installed a set of them and they are the way to go, not flat like others so you don't lose volume and they don't look like all the others that are just a 3 inch tube welded onto a flat piece of steel plate.

040-26442EF97180-3422-000001FF6D5BA5A1_zps092ae21d.jpg

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
But the price...thats why I see the NLTD ones to be what ide want. Plus I think Jonathon knows what hes doing. Not at all to take away from the awesome Riff Raff ones, just saying.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Love my RiffRaff Plenums... Easy install, easy removal if ever needed. No leaks, solid as a rock...

And pretty if you want to look at them...

Of course the others are a bit cheaper, there a piece of flat stock, with a few holes drilled in them and welded together...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
joe, thanks for the input! anyone know why clays are missing a hole? and other then the crush factor and the oring seal, what are the benefits of these over the stockers?

2000wa250

Reaction score
The missing bolt is the one that you can't remove from the head without pulling the brackets. IMO it makes install way easier, and is not really needed. For me I like the riffraff pieces because they have a recessed bolts. I know it doesn't seem like a bit deal, but with all the wiring and hoses in the valley, the less edges for it to chafe on the better.

Not to mention the o ring seal. Rtv isn't the easiest substance to work with, and the o rings really simplify everything and make for a clean and easy install.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
joe, thanks for the input! anyone know why clays are missing a hole? and other then the crush factor and the oring seal, what are the benefits of these over the stockers?

I actually blew the stock sheet metal ones off the heads between the bolts. That was with some crazy boost numbers (100-125psi) when I had the triple setup.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So whats more durable against boost? An oring or grey death?

I would think grey death would be provided you know how to use sealants in the first place.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I would think the o ring would be because there's actually a groove in the plenum. The problem as I see it with the rtv is there is nothing holding it except for itself. Once a little bit of it comes loose, it will fail faster and faster. The o ring will break, meaning you replace it, or the plenum will lift for riffraffs to leak. In my book id rather take the one that if it does leak, is simpler and easier to pull and reinstall/repair than the one that you have to scrape all the grey death off and get clean again.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

96F350KID

Reaction score
I swear by the RTV from Ford. You can stick them on their and almost yank the engine out with the bolts removed and that stuff will hold. Having no issues with 46lbs of boost in the pull truck with RTV and the flatness of them. NLTD also makes ours with our name in them and they fit rather well. The reason for the flatness of Irate is to clear the "race cover" of the larger S400 series turbos from Borg Warner that are T4 foot.

Reaction score
you ever see body panels get glued rather then welded at a body shop?? I see a test at a friend shop one day..they glued 2 panels together..no trix done to it..just a little prep work.. then they put it in a frame straitening machine and stretched it..the new metal ripped 6 inches from where it was glued ... if you know how to clean and prep for the glue.(and not afraid to get a little dirty) .it will out last an oring by a long shot...if you dont drive your truck every single day and you let her sit..them oring are going to dry rot over time just like the oil cooler,fuel bowl and turbo orings....

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The flat design has been used successfully for quite a while. Pretty sure WOP had the first flat plenums...we sold a bunch over the years before the buyout. I have a set on my race motor...held on with international grey sealant...they have held fine at 118psi. I would take sealant over an o-ring any day.

Misunderstood by my stupid smart phone!

Latest posts

Members online