is there any reason i cant take off the fuel tank skid plates?

Pstroke96

Reaction score
the skid plates on my truck are fairly rusty and look pretty crappy. since the truck never goes off road i was figuring that i would just take them off and toss them, but i wanted to make sure there wasnt any reason i couldnt take them off, like them holding the fuel tanks up or anything. thanks guys

Zmann

Reaction score
to get this bumped

on My 06 it was an option with the FX4 so not all trucks have it

I replaced mine with a Titan so it doesn't retain the steel plate anyway ,, plus with a lift your less prone to damage

mjonesjr

Reaction score
The rear skid plates hold the tank in. If you remove it, you will have to fab something to hold the tank up.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
The rear skid plates hold the tank in. If you remove it, you will have to fab something to hold the tank up.

okay so that ones out, i was mainly conserned with the mid ship tank. since the spare tire is up there as well. the front tank has its own straps then the skid plate is under it correct?

Zmann

Reaction score
yup on mine the skid plate was a separate unit with it's own straps and bolts

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i might, but it will take quite alot of wire wheeling to get it all shined up to paint, it is a good idea, maybe then i will be enspired to do the rest of the frame

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i had already done the frame but i cheaped out on the paint when i did it so its all flaking off now and looks like crap

Racer X

Reaction score
We have several used 38 gallon rear tanks. If anyone is interested in them contact us directly or pm 4 Wings.
Thanks,
Racer

old man dave

Reaction score
You can just use the 2wd tank straps. Its the 4wd that have the skid plates. RockAuto.com sells them for $15 and $20 for the side and rear tank strap pairs.

Latest posts

Members online