Just got my Gearhead tunes! Questions/suggestions on settings, etc.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone notice the lie-o-meter is actually pretty accurate....sadly mine is spot on even with big injectors and turbos

powerlifter405

Reaction score
give us a comparision. If you have a livewire or a DD monitor/datalog your FWP, EGTS, Boost, etc.. and do a few 0-60 or 0-100 type runs and see what you come up w/.

Ronin

Reaction score
Anyone notice the lie-o-meter is actually pretty accurate....sadly mine is spot on even with big injectors and turbos

You mean with Gearhead's tunes? If so I'm inclined to say yes since my LOM would read about 2-3 MPG higher than hand-calculated on IDP tunes and since installing the Gearhead tune the LOM is dropping, so I need to wait for my next fill-up to hand-calculate and compare the two directly. A more accurate LOM might be yet another benefit!

strokin20

Reaction score
I hope the lie-o-meter is more accurate. Driving to Galveston last weekend I was showing 18.8. I won't know till next month though when I get off work.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
You mean with Gearhead's tunes? If so I'm inclined to say yes since my LOM would read about 2-3 MPG higher than hand-calculated on IDP tunes and since installing the Gearhead tune the LOM is dropping, so I need to wait for my next fill-up to hand-calculate and compare the two directly. A more accurate LOM might be yet another benefit!

Yea
Check it for me mine was spot on with 150s and bigger compounds within. 0.3 mpg

Unfortunately it was only 11.5 mpg but accurate none the less and still decent mileage in my book

Ronin

Reaction score
Yea
Check it for me mine was spot on with 150s and bigger compounds within. 0.3 mpg

Unfortunately it was only 11.5 mpg but accurate none the less and still decent mileage in my book

That's what I thought you were getting at. A more accurate LOM will be a nice change after looking at 14K+ miles of a not so accurate LOM...regardless of how crappy that actual mileage may be!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
That's what I thought you were getting at. A more accurate LOM will be a nice change after looking at 14K+ miles of a not so accurate LOM...regardless of how crappy that actual mileage may be!

Right you might as well have something that's close even if its not great.

Keep me posted as I do know actual mileage was better with gearhead than idp. I think mostly because of the lack of smoke

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
ive got a DD I'll data log and post it up if I can figure out how if anyone's interested.

Eric@One of my mobile units

Im very interested… I currently have Erics tunes and run XS as my DD and mess around with XR every now and then. I am wanting to look around for some different programs for my 8900.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I have noticed the lie o meter was close too. Idp was 18.5, gearhead is 14.5 which is super close.

WTH your getting 14.5? I can only get like 14 on 305/55R20s on my street and maybe 14.5 on ex street. I am about to order up my gearhead tunes

Ronin

Reaction score
I'm a "Fuelly" nerd which takes my obsession with mileage to a whole new level!

At just over 22K miles (I bought the truck brand new) my best ever tank was 17.4 MPG with IDP XStreet. Bone stock the best mileage I ever got was 16.4 MPG. Those are the extremes on the high end. I do quite a bit of towing, and with my H&H car carrier trailer set up for 4 bikes (with tools. etc.) at just under 8K pounds on a 3K mile trip I went from 9.1 to 11.3 MPG per tank, about 95%+ of that was highway.

Right now my overall average mileage is right at 13.0 MPG exactly. Considering I had an '07 Cadillac Escalade ESV prior to this truck, that's a significant increase. On the same tow trip my Escalade's MPG would drop to under 7 MPG and I could barely drive 3 hours straight without being on fumes and ran out of gas twice (always have fuel cans in the trailer though, but no one likes topping off the side of I-80 with people flying by you doing 80!).

I'm in the process of lowering/leveling (4800# springs and removing the rear block) my truck, and adding a BakFlip F1 tonneau cover and tool box. I did an AirDog 165 GPH/10 PSI fixed (I think?) on my buddy's F350 and I'm going to do one on mine along with a Titan XL 51-gallon fuel tank shortly.

I'm hoping ALL of that will push me close to 15 MPG over the next 22K miles. It doesn't sound like much, put percentage wise, that's pretty huge. I don't think that 14 MPG will be a stretch at all, 15 would be sweet and anything above and beyond that would be icing on the cake. With the Titan tank I could possibly run over 900 miles on a tank provided I'm not towing and driving like there's a bald eagle egg under the skinny pedal...

I didn't buy a diesel for the mileage, but I certainly don't mind getting the best mileage possible!

pog

Reaction score
where do i find the tune/price packages available from gearhead? thanks

Gearhead

Reaction score
Just shoot me an email. It will be a while until I get the website updated until I get the final dyno numbers to put up there at the same time.

Ronin

Reaction score
Just shoot me an email. It will be a while until I get the website updated until I get the final dyno numbers to put up there at the same time.

Glad you saw this thread Matt! Sorry I didn't give you any direct feedback...I was too busy enjoying your tuning and the improvements over my previous setup and posting to this thread!

Speaking of which, there's a saying that "if you don't do something right the first time, you'll have to the second..." for anyone looking for tuning, going with Matt/Gearhead's tuning is a great way to get it done once and for all....

Latest posts

Members online