Just got my Gearhead tunes! Questions/suggestions on settings, etc.

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
How many of you guys have or are running the race unstudded? I know they've advised against doing so.....

3brorce put about 4000 miles on w/ the RCD 585 & the trans never missed a beat.... The 585 has a very firm/hard shift! Nothin to compare it to tho, so I'll give some more feedback later in the day & tomorrow!!

By the way great prices compared to other tunes i've seen advertised & the tunes were emailed to me within hours of them receiving payment, good work guys!!!

Last edited:

Ronin

Reaction score
I want(ed) to run the Hot Street tunes, especially considering that I was previously running Eric's IDP Xtreme Street; but tuners make recommendations for a reason. There's nothing wrong with being a little cautious and given the cost of studding the motor (and everything that goes with it to do it right) I'd figure I'd give my supportive bride and break and do it when I can, not when I have to!

Back in my 6.0 Excursion days I planned to stud the motor all along, and the headgaskets let go literally as the parts were ordered and on the way so it ended up only being slightly inconvenient. After a turbo hiccup (my early build '04 had an '03 pedestal) Elite got me squared away quickly and I got my truck up and running.

THAT was a sweet truck (built by Funkmaster Flex for Orange County Choppers)...pretty sure it's wrecked on it's way to being wrecked now...

06232008ExcursionPics005.jpg

WoodBoy

Reaction score
You guys return to stock before loading the tunes from the computer to the livewire?

Ronin

Reaction score
You guys return to stock before loading the tunes from the computer to the livewire?

Nope, just re-tuned it from the IDP Xtreme Street to the Gearhead Street with NO problems. The tunes are stored in different locations and you get to name them when you upload them anyway so there should be no confusion (although you can only store 3 custom tunes). I checked my user adjustable options and made sure I had the correct gear ratio and haven't looked back yet (except to see almost the total lack of smoke at WOT!).

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
I want(ed) to run the Hot Street tunes, especially considering that I was previously running Eric's IDP Xtreme Street; but tuners make recommendations for a reason. There's nothing wrong with being a little cautious and given the cost of studding the motor (and everything that goes with it to do it right) I'd figure I'd give my supportive bride and break and do it when I can, not when I have to!

Back in my 6.0 Excursion days I planned to stud the motor all along, and the headgaskets let go literally as the parts were ordered and on the way so it ended up only being slightly inconvenient. After a turbo hiccup (my early build '04 had an '03 pedestal) Elite got me squared away quickly and I got my truck up and running.

THAT was a sweet truck (built by Funkmaster Flex for Orange County Choppers)...pretty sure it's wrecked on it's way to being wrecked now...

06232008ExcursionPics005.jpg

1 sharp excursion!!!

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Drove about 20 miles on hot street, wow what a shifting improvement!!! Certainly doesn't feel it has near the power as the RCD 585!! Haven't got on it real hard & thru all the gears, just doesn't feel near as torquey....

Last edited:

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I think the RCD tune has made some high Torque numbers, I havent seen many track times though with it

Ronin

Reaction score
Drove about 20 miles on hot street, wow what a shifting improvement!!! Certainly doesn't feel it has near the power as the RCD 585!! Haven't got on it real hard & thru all the gears, just doesn't feel near as torquey....

Unless you've done the Ford TCM relearn procedure, when you reflashed it your TCM is relearning the old fashion way and it's gonna take some drive time; 20 miles ain't gonna do it! Give it some time...

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
No, the improvement from the RCD 585 to hot street was amazing from the instant I pulled outta the driveway!!!

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I thought the LW detected the gear ratio from the PCM? Mine had 3.08 selected I changed it to 3.55

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Mine shifts 1-2 fairly quick and holds on to 3rd for a little while longer before going to 5th and OD. Do yall's downshift to 5th when you let off kind of like Tow/Haul mode does? Then when you get below 5th the TC unlocks

Ronin

Reaction score
Mine shifts 1-2 fairly quick and holds on to 3rd for a little while longer before going to 5th and OD. Do yall's downshift to 5th when you let off kind of like Tow/Haul mode does? Then when you get below 5th the TC unlocks

Sounds pretty accurate...and yes, I likewise needed to adjust my gear ratio from whatever the default value was (which I don't recall), I have 3.55s...

powerstrokin15

Reaction score

let the trans learn some more. mine did it at first. not now.

Latest posts

Members online