Lift info needed

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I'm wanting to lift my 04 King Ranch. I would like to run a 37" tire, but don't know what would be my best bet for a lift. I rarely drive it, let alone tow anything, so I'm curious about 6"-8" lifts. I want something that doesn't ride like hammered dog sh!t (which I'm aware is fairly difficult to do with a leaf sprung front), but isn't going to run me $3000...best bang for my buck with a decent ride quality is what I'm after...any info or pics is greatly appreciated.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
4.5 Icon hanger shackle kit with 2" mini spring pack....

Best ride for the $$

Isaac3384

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had any experience with other manufacturers, i.e. Fabtech, Pro Comp, Rough Country, Superlift, etc...?

chappy

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had any experience with other manufacturers, i.e. Fabtech, Pro Comp, Rough Country, Superlift, etc...?

I've had experiance with all them and Those will ride like hammered dog **** in a 6 or 8in. If you want to go cheap then a set of 4in bds springs and 2in hangers will give you a nice ride. In my opinion even my 6in icon springs ride to rough. I would not go over a 4in spring no atter what but a cheaper spring like superlift and rough country will still ride rough. I really liked the ride of bds and procomps 4in springs on my 99 f250. What I did was bought a 4in procomp kit an added 2in hangers for 6in lift and was really happy. Then I thought I would try some 6in icons and couldn't be more dissapointed. If you want 8inches then 4in springs with 4in hangers.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I've never heard anyone just say great things about those companies on here. Not that they suck, just nicer stuff is worth the extra money. But at the same time, they aren't all just junk or theyd go out of business.

If I were you, I'd give Trevor at PMF a call and see what he can work up for you. I felt like when I got my lift I got icon quality at fabtech prices if that makes sense. I don't know what he has for the leaf sprung front end, but I bet he can set you up. If not, icon will be your best bet like was said earlier.

Don't cheap out. Your a lot more likely to be pissed that the ride sucks cause you cheaped out than pissed that you spent more money and it rides too good.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I wouldnt go with a skycrapper either. All i hear is that their bushings SUCK and need replacement alot.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Isaac3384

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys. Around tax return time I'll be ordering my kit, after more research is done. I should have my tires picked out in the next couple days, so around March I should have some pics! I'm stoked to have something that will be tall again!

I've heard (and it makes sense) that a lift spring with more leafs that are thinner will ride better than less leafs that are thicker. How much truth is there to this?

By ordering a 4" spring kit and some 2"-4" hangers, am I going to have to piece together my drop brackets, pitman arm, shocks, etc.? I'm assuming so since the taller hangers are going to alter the geometry of the steering/suspension. Or would I be better off to just piece my kit together completely?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I've heard (and it makes sense) that a lift spring with more leafs that are thinner will ride better than less leafs that are thicker. How much truth is there to this?

It makes sense to me,, never had the experience but its like trying to bend a 6 inch pipe compared to a one inch pipe. The easier it is to flex the softer the ride.

Another thing is, think about riding in a 1/2 ton truck compared to a 1 ton. The one ton has a heavier payload so it has to be stiffer, requiring more leafs.

Zac

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

chappy

Reaction score
Yes the thinner springs do ride better. I myself would not call it a night and day difference but a better ride none the less.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I've found a hell of a deal on an 8" Fabtech lift...anyone have any feedback on this? It's a brand new lift with shocks (I'm sure the shocks are bottom of the barrell) and hardware/brackets for $450...

Isaac3384

Reaction score
Yeah, it has blocks for the rear, but by the time I can afford tires, I can have the rear springs.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I would jump on that 8inch lift for that price! Also everyone correct me if I'm wrong, can't you do a rear shackle/hanger flip and gain 3" of lift? I would think It would ride better with the rears flipped and then a 4" lift leaf pack than it would with a full 8" lift leaf pack. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

chappy

Reaction score
I say get it and later sell the 8in springs and run 4in springs with 4in hangers. That would be an awesome ride better then stock I bet.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Sorry front because I didn't think the rear would be a 8in spring but probably a 5in or 6in.

Very good point. I agree on the front you would without a doubt save some ride quality with the drop shackle and hangers. The only thing i would worry about with messing with that far of a drop is the ease of bending if the axle gets jarred.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's not just longer, but gusseted like a mofo, or boxed in on the back side.

I would order it today if I didn't have 3 kids to buy Xmas gifts for, plus a girlfriend. Gotta keep them happy to ensure I get to keep my truck hobby...lol

I'll probably go with the lift hanger/spring combo eventually, but for now, this will work. Depending on what the ride quality (or lack there of) is like, I may even 'link' the front with coilovers. I'm just unsure if I want to drop the time/money into it. I have too many damn hobbies that I spend money on, so saving that much money would be hard...lol...stupid A.D.D...

Latest posts

Members online