LOPE on start up then death.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I flew to Colorado fro training a few weeks ago and left my truck sitting for 4 days, -15* degrees. not plugged in , no big deal. I come back, cycle the key for 60 seconds, cranks for about 5 seconds then pops of with 4-5 good hard lopes, and then dies. crank again, instantly pops off with another few lopes and dies, crank again lopes twice then idles just fine ( other than rattling and shaking like its coming apart, you know normal 7.3/-15* stuff) starts fine the next few days.
Temp drops back down to 0 , I go to start it ( not plugged in) lopes twice then idles smooth. no problems unless it sits for a few days without running.
2 days ago, -23* ( unplugged , gf stole the cord for her Cummings) starts lopes once and dies, does this for about 4 starts before I leave it be and plug it back in. went home today at lunch and it starts just fine........

my pmr motor ran same oil, same intervals just fine. the only difference in this motor is tuning. oil has 500 miles on it, running delo. thoughts?

ToMang07

Reaction score
I would contact the tuner and see if they took temps/altitude into account when they wrote the tunes for your truck.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Mine lopes when cold also. Sometimes lopes a couple and dies. It will lope a bit and then like a switch flipped idle normal. I figured I have some glow plugs to change.

04stroker

Reaction score
Try unplugging the tuner the next time. Lately I have seen more and more cold start problems with trucks because of tuning. It just got real cold here and my brothers truck if it sits more than a day it barely started and loped like crazy for a minute or two. We looked and looked couldn't find a problem switched tunes and it starts fine now. Granted it is a 6.0 but you see what I'm saying.

79jasper

Reaction score
With the 7.3, I don't think it has anything to do with the tune.

Mine is stock and does it, if I don't plug it in.
I think it has to do with cold oil, and bad glowplug's.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

littleredstroker

Reaction score
let me add this pmr motor went bang, swapped all parts with new oil cooler gaskets, hpop gaskets, new glow plugs , new injector o rings, new ipr, new icp, did gaskets/head studs, and has about 4kmiles on everything. glow plugs are good I know. not even a hint of white smoke, plus there is no way that at -23 it would even consider popping off withouth glow plugs.

Gearhead

Reaction score
5w40 syn will start like a dream i bet

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

littleredstroker

Reaction score
5w40 syn will start like a dream i bet

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

which I will probably end up doing. the -23 night the last time it started and loped, started slowing down with the cranking speed, with as much time as I spend snomobiling and ice fishing, I wont be able to just plug it in till it will start. its never had a hard time before , which is why I was hoping for some logical explanation.

ToMang07

Reaction score
which I will probably end up doing. the -23 night the last time it started and loped, started slowing down with the cranking speed, with as much time as I spend snomobiling and ice fishing, I wont be able to just plug it in till it will start. its never had a hard time before , which is why I was hoping for some logical explanation.

I know just going with 15W40 Amsoil it was an incredible difference in cold starts. Never had it lope like that tho, but I'm poor and have stock injectors, lol

04stroker

Reaction score
With the 7.3, I don't think it has anything to do with the tune.

Mine is stock and does it, if I don't plug it in.
I think it has to do with cold oil, and bad glowplug's.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Talk to "Wint" on here as soon as it got cold his 7.3 wouldn't hardly start unplugged the chip and boom started like a dream. If OP has changed tunes and tried actually unplugging it with same result I don't think that's it. I would do what Matt said and switch to 5w-40 synthetic oil and see what that does.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I think of it as cold air brought back into a cylinder is like blowing out candles.

My truck has probably five glow plugs out. I run 5w40. Last week it died for the first time ever right after it started. I hit my remote start, it cycled for 15 seconds, rolled out, fired on all 8 for about 2-3 seconds than poof, shut down. It of course recycled and started up again and ran great.

But think about it. The ambient air gets to a decent temp while glow plugs are cycling in the cylinder and into some of the intake manifold. As soon as it fires off it brings in ice cold ambient temps outside. Out like a candle. Its amazing how a rush of cool air can cool down a cylinder even when a plug is still hot. Fuel itself is still cold too, that also will bring down cylinder temps.

Last edited:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I think of it as cold air brought back into a cylinder is like blowing out candles.

My truck has probably five glow plugs out. I run 5w40. Last week it died for the first time ever right after it started. I hit my remote start, it cycled for 15 seconds, rolled out, fired on all 8 for about 2-3 seconds than poof, shut down. It of course recycled and started up again and ran great.

But think about it. The ambient air gets to a decent temp while glow plugs are cycling in the cylinder and into some of the intake manifold. As soon as it fires off it brings in ice cold ambient temps outside. Out like a candle. Its amazing how a rush of cool air can cool down a cylinder even when a plug is still hot. Fuel itself is still cold too, that also will bring down cylinder temps.

which I understand completely, but why doesn't every truck do this ? why did mine use to not have a issue? Im gonna try unplugging the chip next time,just to make sure its not anything motor related.

Gearhead

Reaction score
which I understand completely, but why doesn't every truck do this ? why did mine use to not have a issue? Im gonna try unplugging the chip next time,just to make sure its not anything motor related.

the only think i can think of that would cause issue would be the IPR settings. if you have a chance log the IPR dc with something like an edge CTS and see what the value is when it is loping. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I don't have much chance to test in extreme cold temps.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
the only think i can think of that would cause issue would be the IPR settings. if you have a chance log the IPR dc with something like an edge CTS and see what the value is when it is loping. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I don't have much chance to test in extreme cold temps.

I know when it starts dc is at 19% then slowly drops to about 10. I have a scangauge but when its that cold the screen hardly shows up until after its been on for a few minutes. I will work on getting #s when it starts loping

Gearhead

Reaction score
I know when it starts dc is at 19% then slowly drops to about 10. I have a scangauge but when its that cold the screen hardly shows up until after its been on for a few minutes. I will work on getting #s when it starts loping

meant the ipr dc when it is loping

Latest posts

Members online