Loud cab says you, no says I

Cknox121

Reaction score
So, before and after the engine build, I had noticed my trucks interior was a little louder then I liked. Mainly when I could hardly carry on a conversation with my grandpa on the interstate. Really all conversations where held with a "louder" voice then normal. The most underling issues are obviously the mud tires, larger turbos, and the free flowing exhaust. I down loaded one of those DB apps. Received a base line of around 80-95dB cruising at 70-80 on the interstate, no radio playing.

No sure who all has seen the "sound deadener" thread here, but I have spent the last 4-5weeks reading it and others to gather information about the best products vs the cheapest. I decided to go with the RAAMat product line. Ordered up Package 1 and 2 which should be enough to do the whole interior, maybe some parts twice.

I tackled the rear doors tonight. Took about 3 hours to complete, although I had already installed B-Quiet on the outer skins when I first got the truck.

The method is layer of BXT then layer of Ensolite. I completed this on the outer skin
0635542bf2d17f731dcdcf793878394a.jpg
cc10e1a5ea1e867f48058ce74b9eae19.jpg
afb878213d9548ec081f7c1b96a741b6.jpg

Next I did a layer of BXT on the inter door skin. I used the moisture barrier as a template to trace all the holes out.
576d348679c4cbaa63b750fc2b814c5d.jpg

Then laid the BXT on the inner skin
436c1ff2b6df9922de052236f7ca87a8.jpg

I filled in all the left over open spaces with the bits I had cut, as well as used long strips
d7e59459e7f3d740e94c78ccf9590cad.jpg

Then I used the moisture barrier to trace out the Ensolite and layered it on top of the BXT.
ee35b773db9c6ef58c9ef0c6aaf07879.jpg

Final product
14cbdf73cdc703057ebf584144939aa6.jpg
4060a4a555133e7de2d4d07883937118.jpg

Very pleased with the product and how it layered nicely. I used a pair of leather gloves to massage the BXT into place to keep from getting cut by the aluminum. The doors sound more "dead" then hollow now. They sound more solid when closing. Plan is to tackle a door or two here and there, and then finally yank out the whole interior to do the floor, back wall, fire wall, A,B and C pillars.

Enjoy. I'll update as I get more accomplished.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
very nice, I remember helping a friend do the RAAMat on his 07 Chevy and it was time consuming. The end results were amazing. Made the doors closing sound more luxury and less cheap which goes a long way for those nbs interiors.

Cknox121

Reaction score
very nice, I remember helping a friend do the RAAMat on his 07 Chevy and it was time consuming. The end results were amazing. Made the doors closing sound more luxury and less cheap which goes a long way for those nbs interiors.

I hoping to have the same results. Good thing is, does already installed a mat in the door panels. I mainly looking to block out road noises and engine noises.

can you list the items you used and where you got them?

I used RAAMat Products. The 2 they offer. Purchased from their web site during Black Friday.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I may buy some foam to stuff in the large voids in the pillars and behind the dash. Any recommendations on the foam? I have a bed cushion that would probably work well.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Any issues gettng the door panels back on due to the extra material?

Non. Keep the material way from the edges. They actually fit better IMO. More snug which means no more rattles.

snik

Reaction score
I did this to the entire trunk of my car due to a very loud muffler.
It made a noticeable difference.
I didn't use a db app like you. But confirmed it when the wife wondered why the car was a bit quieter.
I've been thinking about doing some of my trucks can also.

GregW

Reaction score
Sub'd. I'm still trying to decide what product to go with on mine when I tear into it after the holidays

Cknox121

Reaction score
I did this to the entire trunk of my car due to a very loud muffler.
It made a noticeable difference.
I didn't use a db app like you. But confirmed it when the wife wondered why the car was a bit quieter.
I've been thinking about doing some of my trucks can also.

The one I downloaded is a dB DecibelMeter. It's okay. Used it while flying today and it register 85-110 dB while in the air.

I did noticed after doing the rear doors it was a noticeable difference in the noise volume coming from rear vs the front.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Sub'd. I'm still trying to decide what product to go with on mine when I tear into it after the holidays

Most of the Dynamat, BXT, B-quiet extreme, etc are very similar. Sure one out performs the other, but for price vs quality, I choose the RAAMAt. Like I said, I may decide to install some MLV down the road if it is still a little loud

1BD9D7

Reaction score
If I take my interior out I would like to do this, I bet it's a huge difference. I used 3m undercoating aerosol cans on the entire bottom of the cab and bed, that did make a difference in sound inside, and combined with this mat on the inside of cab I bet that would be excellent.

Layson

Reaction score
I used the same stuff on my truck. Those first few times driving it after I did it I really noticed a difference.....now I get in it I am used to it and now it is loud again....LOL.... So I would like to do another layer....LOL

I did notice a lot of improvement when I sound deadened above my turbo on the cowl. My truck was too old to come with any real substantial sound deadening on the firewall. That cut down on a lot of turbo noise.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Skip the CCF on the outer skin. It's a waste out there. The door cavity itself amplifies noise....use CCF and MLV on the inner door skin for best results. Any left over CLD you have, put it on the back side of the door panels and other problematic plastic trim pieces.
I usually do the back of all interior plastics.
If you're trying to get a quiet ride on the highway MLV is the part you're missing. It will block the noises you're targeting. CLD and CCF will help but adding MLV will make a huge difference.
I don't use it since my goal is no vibrations or rattles in a competition environment...if a quiet drive was my goal there would be MLV added for sure.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Also, and I don't care what the audio sites say about Ensolite, it WILL trap water over time. I use it almost on a daily basis at work outside the audio industry. I have the stuff up to 2" thick. Using it on the outer skin is inviting future mold issues.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Skip the CCF on the outer skin. It's a waste out there. The door cavity itself amplifies noise....use CCF and MLV on the inner door skin for best results. Any left over CLD you have, put it on the back side of the door panels and other problematic plastic trim pieces.
I usually do the back of all interior plastics.
If you're trying to get a quiet ride on the highway MLV is the part you're missing. It will block the noises you're targeting. CLD and CCF will help but adding MLV will make a huge difference.
I don't use it since my goal is no vibrations or rattles in a competition environment...if a quiet drive was my goal there would be MLV added for sure.

What MLV would you recommend? And where would apply?