Loud cab says you, no says I

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Whatever you can find that has the most weight per sqft for the least amount of money.
As far as where it goes, it would be the final layer over your CLD and CCF. For the best results you literally want to line the whole truck with it from the firewall back. I'm not a fan of doing too many treatments to the roof....not much tire or other noise up there and you get more wind noise around the glass than you will through the roof skin.
A big help even after all these years is surgical tubing inside the door seals. That old trick will probably drop you 5db all by itself.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Whatever you can find that has the most weight per sqft for the least amount of money.
As far as where it goes, it would be the final layer over your CLD and CCF. For the best results you literally want to line the whole truck with it from the firewall back. I'm not a fan of doing too many treatments to the roof....not much tire or other noise up there and you get more wind noise around the glass than you will through the roof skin.
A big help even after all these years is surgical tubing inside the door seals. That old trick will probably drop you 5db all by itself.

Thanks...

The owner at RAAMat insisted I didn't need any with his products, hence why he doesn't even sell any. Interesting to know though. I will probably install what I have and see how I like it.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
And if he sold MLV he would recommend it all day long...guaranteed.
Different products do different things.
CLD is a vibration dampener.
CCF is a decoupler and helps with squeaks and such.
MLV is the actual sound barrier.

Your CLD/CCF combo will absolutely make a difference but the frequencies you're trying to block at highway speeds are MLV territory.

Last edited:

snik

Reaction score

Please, tell me more about this surgical tubing. I def agree the doors and windows are major noise sources.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And if he sold MLV he would recommend it all day long...guaranteed.
Different products do different things.
CLD is a vibration dampener.
CCF is a decoupler and helps with squeaks and such.
MLV is the actual sound barrier.

Your CLD/CCF combo will absolutely make a difference but the frequencies you're trying to block at highway speeds are MLV territory.

So after you layer all that crap how thick is it? I wonder if I can use foil butyl tape that I have cases of laying around? Or is the audio stuff better?

And do you put back the oem carpet with that jute on the backside or get unbacked carpet? I need a new rug anyway.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Please, tell me more about this surgical tubing. I def agree the doors and windows are major noise sources.

One thing i actually understand lol. You feed surgical tubing through the void in the rubber weatherstrip seal on each door. You want it just thick enough to hold the shape of that hollow if not ever so slightly expanded. It gives the seal some body and allows it to seal tight against the body and door. The stuff relaxes after a while.

Cknox121

Reaction score
So after you layer all that crap how thick is it? I wonder if I can use foil butyl tape that I have cases of laying around? Or is the audio stuff better?

And do you put back the oem carpet with that jute on the backside or get unbacked carpet? I need a new rug anyway.

I would say maybe an 1/8-1/4 thick. Nothing major. I had no issues putting my panels back on. Honestly they fit better. Very snug

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
So if I don't have rattles or anything and I just want to quiet the road noise at hwy speeds I'm def gonna do the surgical tubing but if I had to put one layer of these products behind the door panels which would it be?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
So if I don't have rattles or anything and I just want to quiet the road noise at hwy speeds I'm def gonna do the surgical tubing but if I had to put one layer of these products behind the door panels which would it be?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

CDL MLV would be good. I'm going to order some for the doors and back wall.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I cut the BXT and Ensolite for the front doors. It's been way to humid here to actually install anything.

On another note, just doing the rear 2 doors, the dB meter on my phone dropped 3-5dB between 70-80 mph.

Cknox121

Reaction score
More progress. Did the front 2 doors. 150% coverage with BXT on the outer skin, followed with a couple strips of Ensolite. RAAMat's site says to only use a 8x8 piece behind the speaker, but I covered around 50% of the door. For the inner skin I used a layer of BXT, 100% coverage and layer of Ensolite, 100% coverage. I also reapplied the factory MLV if that is in fact what it actually is on top of the 2 layers.

After completing all the doors, it was made a huge difference! I was able to carry on a casual conversation at normal tone and hear my passenger easily. Tire noise is very minimal.

Although it is quieter, the back was "noise" and under the dash is more pronounced. I will target the back wall when I have time next.

As a hind sight, I wish I would have did 150-200% on the outer skin in the back doors. The fronts are noticeably more solid sounding when tapping on them.

b003d7960243a5a73cc565b3d3c2cdb1.jpg
7a86624e3052000ac3463ff06a4a8c27.jpg
8a1b51585263e1746a4c89a7bb95d300.jpg
d532a937506c78891d7578957861ce33.jpg
3d382f97ee552d11a6be74be24bc7236.jpg
a389baa992dcb36e504018024fe7b276.jpg
9bac71f865eef934594fbbbc8e877d5a.jpg
699a57d3606925a523239c1fff82eb40.jpg
5da6eab7ea6fb1553866d4b0da4ba6df.jpg
281990664c9c632cc33fe954e2f6d308.jpg
45014315f7c729ecdf7a4a3f81d22984.jpg
954b09725cd823f897c86af6a4cf886e.jpg