Making the best motor.

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
basically he made a thread worth 16 pages about an arp head stud install lol

Are you high, or did you just read the last 3 pages?

He swapped an 07 engine into his 04 and at the start of this thread(before he had the 07) he was looking for advice on which parts he should mix and match to make the best engine out of the two. He got the engine and started the swap, installed studs in the process and MAYBE an EGR delete but i'm not positive on that.

For anyone that may not understand still. THIS IS NOT A BUILD THREAD.

Please add anything i may have left out Smut or correct anything that's wrong.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Are you high, or did you just read the last 3 pages?

He swapped an 07 engine into his 04 and at the start of this thread(before he had the 07) he was looking for advice on which parts he should mix and match to make the best engine out of the two. He got the engine and started the swap, installed studs in the process and MAYBE an EGR delete but i'm not positive on that.

For anyone that may not understand still. THIS IS NOT A BUILD THREAD.

Please add anything i may have left out Smut or correct anything that's wrong.

Calm down. :axe:Obviously over the past several days, He has done (or had done) a lot of work. I've been keeping track of this thread for my own curiosity. I had questions like, How hard would changing out the electronics be?, What all would he upgrade at this point? What parts would he change out from the 04'? Most of my questions have been answered, but as I said before, this thread got off track quite a bit and when it's been going on for so long it was hard to keep track. No one is bashing anyone for a change so just keep your pants on. All we are saying is that we would like Smut to post a final tally of all the work done. IMO, if he does this right it could be a VERY BENEFICIAL thread for a lot of guys pondering this very same project. My hat is off to Smut for tackling this swap. I know there was a lot more to it than discussed and I'm just curious how he feels about the outcome and all that was involved I.E. Parts, Labor, PITA factor, Cost (only if he is comfortable sharing this information), And time (from the time the truck pulled into the shop till' the time it left running correctly).:rockon:

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
Just clearing it up for those who don't follow the full threads :D (not directed at you or anyone in particular) But lots of people seem to think this is a build thread.

Sorry if i came off hateful?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Its all good. Smut did talk a lot in previous threads about turbo and injector upgrades. I'm sure it did confuse some when he started this thread and you would have to have read the WHOLE thread to really get what was going on. Right now he wants reliable power. In the future he will be shooting for raw, butthole clinching power. We just want to see the specifics of the swap without wading thru 17 pages of BS. I think that if he got it runnin' right in the short amount of time he had, he's done one hell of a job.

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
Its all good. Smut did talk a lot in previous threads about turbo and injector upgrades. I'm sure it did confuse some when he started this thread and you would have to have read the WHOLE thread to really get what was going on. Right now he wants reliable power. In the future he will be shooting for raw, butthole clinching power. We just want to see the specifics of the swap without wading thru 17 pages of BS. I think that if he got it runnin' right in the short amount of time he had, he's done one hell of a job.

Agreed :thumbsup:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Sorry, i havnt been home since i got my truck back, been drivin :D.
So i basically tried to make the perfect six liter engine. I wanted to make it reliable and a platform of which i can "Go big" on in the future.
I had always heard (mostly on forums) that some parts on the 03-04 engines were suppose to be better. So i wanted to make the best motor i could with an 04 parts engine and a new 07 motor as the new base engine. Turns out most of the things people want to add to 07 engines are the things that have nothing to do with the block. Example being cold side intercooler pipe. 04's have aluminum 05^ have plastic.
So what the hell did i do.
Coolant filter
oil cooler
studs
6.4 banjo bolts
Crank Case Vent
Deleted Egr
tuned ficm
New Oem Head Gaskets
Along with a custom fuel system to hold PSI on stock injectors at wot that i havent finished LOL
Parts. The only thing i had to buy was oil cooler HG's and studs. The rest i had on the 04.
PITA factor. Final 210 torque on headstuds LOL Thats really the only thing i hated. Other than that honestly everything goes really smooth with the cab off.
Labor I had help to do it this fast. I think you can see half of them in some of the pics. From about 6 or 7 till 12 to 1 am for 3 days straight.
Day 1 pull cab get 04 motor ready to pull. Day 2 swap 04 and 07. Clean heads and block for HG's install them and studs oil cooler. banjos egr delete CCV. The engine stuff gets taken care of. Day 3 drop cab and put everything together. @ 11:30 of day 3 is where i can up the PITA factor. Started truck and it purred likea honda. I walked back to listen to the exhaust it sounded good i walk back to the front and it started to miss. IDS was hooked up and #5 wasnt hitting under load. Went for a drive nothing changed so the next night day 4 we swapped it for a new one. Started at 7pm on day 4 and by the time the truck was out the shop and the shop was cleaned it was 11:45.
I spent a total of 6K on parts labor and engine. Including new oil, coolant, charge ac Total time was 4 days.
Total PITA factor was like 3 outta 10
Any questions comments or bashing just ask.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
So you mentioned the aluminum cold side intercooler tube tube? How did that go? How did the pistons and heads look on the 07' when pulled? I'm guessing you didn't have time to have anything machined. I took mine to a machine shop and had the heads checked and magnafluxed when I did the ARP's and all was good. Now you need to give Vivian at Quick Tricks Auto a call and get her Looney Wild DD tune. You will be simply amazed at how much more responsive your truck will be with all the work and a good new tune. You seem to have done a good job and hopefully you can help steer others in the right direction with your new found experience with the mighty 6.0l. My only other question is what are you doin' with the old engine and can we scavenge parts for a little scratch?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So you mentioned the aluminum cold side intercooler tube tube? How did that go? How did the pistons and heads look on the 07' when pulled? I'm guessing you didn't have time to have anything machined. I took mine to a machine shop and had the heads checked and magnafluxed when I did the ARP's and all was good. Now you need to give Vivian at Quick Tricks Auto a call and get her Looney Wild DD tune. You will be simply amazed at how much more responsive your truck will be with all the work and a good new tune. You seem to have done a good job and hopefully you can help steer others in the right direction with your new found experience with the mighty 6.0l. My only other question is what are you doin' with the old engine and can we scavenge parts for a little scratch?

Well The aluminum cold side pipe just mounts right up. Ive always had aluminum never plastic. The 07 piston tops didnt even have the star pattern clear on them. There was no soot build up the gaskets were clean. The heads were not machined. But im willing to put money on them not blowing:D
Im thinking for a new tune im going green :D And feel free to to come get some cheap parts:rockon:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yea im going green. I think the frog tune is a secret though LOL.
And i got you just hold on.

Goose

Reaction score
file.php

Snake

Reaction score
The frog = Doug at gogodiesel.com

If you find someone more knowledgeable on the 6.0, please send me a PM so I can do business with that person. Doug's been my go to guy since 2005. I can't see my business going elsewhere.

Latest posts

Members online