Mini Maxx Problem

tensixniner

Reaction score
I will when i get home from work tonight. The first gentleman i spoke to this morning reassured me it had nothing to do with an update. That since it was manufactured on 10/25/12 it would have the latest software loaded on the sd card. The thing is they didnt even ask me to check to confirm it tho.

Last update was ...

6.4.42 – Oct. 25, 2012 – Manual transmission cruise control issues addressed

You have the newest for your truck.

Reaction score
I can but i would have to get back under the truck take out all the exhaust plugs put the pyros back in and reprogram it and then do it all again when i get the stuff from H&S which isnt that big a deal but its more work i dont have time for. Thanks for confirming that my software should be good i just hope it is the hardware and the new parts should fix it.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
I set it on TC lock 4th 5th and high shift points. First time I've been able to select a trans file. Going to put a 1000 miles or so on it and try something different.

sent from the sea

Yeah, I really like the new tunes. With my 35's, the S1L Trans Tune shifts just right, without letting the truck scream at 55 MPH.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I can but i would have to get back under the truck take out all the exhaust plugs put the pyros back in and reprogram it and then do it all again when i get the stuff from H&S which isnt that big a deal but its more work i dont have time for. Thanks for confirming that my software should be good i just hope it is the hardware and the new parts should fix it.

The D P F temp probes and pressure sensor do not have to be in the exhaust, just plugged into the harness when running the SCT.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
LOL @ people who keep saying "update it"

It's NOT COMMUNICATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's either the HDMI cable or the OBD-II connector. HDMI is easy to diag. just pull the one off of your TV and try it.

If you side-load the HDMI cable where it plugs into the OBD-II block, you can easily damage the circuit board.

I've had one bad block out of the box, I damaged one, and I've had one bad HDMI cable out of the box. That's not bad out of ~200 or so Mini Maxxes

Reaction score
I know the probes dont have to come out but if there not being used i would rather take them out box them up and put them in a cabinet. Im glad to see its not unusual for this to happen. I was screwing around last night and if i put side pressure on the hdmi cable where it goes into the obd2 block i got it to at least read dtc codes so i think the block is bad.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
LOL @ people who keep saying "update it"

It's NOT COMMUNICATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's either the HDMI cable or the OBD-II connector. HDMI is easy to diag. just pull the one off of your TV and try it.

If you side-load the HDMI cable where it plugs into the OBD-II block, you can easily damage the circuit board.

I've had one bad block out of the box, I damaged one, and I've had one bad HDMI cable out of the box. That's not bad out of ~200 or so Mini Maxxes

Some times they don't communicate because they are out of date, we had this happen the other day. Kept getting a error 0, updated it and tried again and boom problem solved. It may not work every time but its a quick and easy way see.

Scottbigred

Reaction score
Try throwing a battery charger on it. I had tons of issues with my minimaxx not communicating when my batteries were going bad. They load tested bad but would start the truck if i could get it tuned to stock. As soon as I got new batteries the issue never came back. I also had an issue when I drilled a ground near the OBDII harness and poked a hole in it. Im assuming you didn't do anything like that though. But try the battery charger first and see what happens. Its worth a shot.

Reaction score
Are the mini maxxs that finiky? To date i have never had a problem with my sct loading for over a year. I was thinking about the battery charger idea while i was driving away looking at my truck. I confirmed to the best of my knowledge its up to date as far as tuning goes. I will take H&S tech support advice and hook up the key on power wire they recommend to tie into the purple wire thats in the same bundle of wires that the pto wire is in is this the best place? Ill hook my battery charger up to it and give it a shot. My dealer just did a once over on it about a month ago when it went in for warranty on a fuel leak, the batteries tested within ford spec but im willing to try anything at the moment. I was really hoping to be able to do my fuel filters tonight, this weekend its suppose to snow. Worst case its the obd2 block and the new one comes in on monday.

Scottbigred

Reaction score
My truck was that finicky with the batteries. It might not be the same issue as yours but its worth a shot. If you have an extra HDMI cable around the house that you know is good try swapping it out. H&S just uses a standard cable.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
No, they are not that finiky...

Like I said, I have personally installed about 200 of them. I listed the three issues I've had with them in that time.

Battery voltage won't fix this issue. I would always recommend hooking up the power trigger wire, but it's not necessary to program the truck and have the Mini Maxx function.

Like I said, when your new block comes in, be VERY careful to not side-load the HDMI cable where it hooks up to it. I have personally damaged the circuit board on one of the blocks doing that. I snugged up on a zip tie and it quit communicating.

I keep spare blocks, on the truck, so no worries, but it's something to be careful about.

Are the mini maxxs that finiky? To date i have never had a problem with my sct loading for over a year. I was thinking about the battery charger idea while i was driving away looking at my truck. I confirmed to the best of my knowledge its up to date as far as tuning goes. I will take H&S tech support advice and hook up the key on power wire they recommend to tie into the purple wire thats in the same bundle of wires that the pto wire is in is this the best place? Ill hook my battery charger up to it and give it a shot. My dealer just did a once over on it about a month ago when it went in for warranty on a fuel leak, the batteries tested within ford spec but im willing to try anything at the moment. I was really hoping to be able to do my fuel filters tonight, this weekend its suppose to snow. Worst case its the obd2 block and the new one comes in on monday.

Reaction score
Well thats the other reason im angry with the situation. The second tech i spoke to specifically stated that wire has to be hooked up cause thats how the obd2 block gets powered. Im gonna screw the block to somewhere under the dash so its secure and find a way so the hdmi cable doesnt side load. Is the purple wire the best keyed power source?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
nothing against H&S as I KNOW that good help is hard to find, but their first level phone techs are pretty pitiful IMO.

With that said, they will always recommend having the power trigger wire hooked up. It can cause issues on some applications if the unit isn't physically switched off.

BUT, if when you power the unit up with the key in run and it says "Initializing Communication and/or shows all zeros on the gauge readouts", the power wire being hooked up isn't going to cure it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.