My build-Hard work pays off!

How far to go when the cab is pulled the first time

• Total voters

RSK

Reaction score
I agree. You'll be surprised if/when you go in the fall and be a bit quicker. Heat soak from sitting and also idling will kill times.

It was close to 90* out and i was sitting in my truck with the ac on for almost 30 mins from my 2nd run to my last run. Never even opened the hood, so if i had to guess i'd say under hood temps were hot, really hot, that would explain why my first pass was my quickest and the truck got slower from there. Not much but a little. Went from 13.05 to 13.07 to a 13.17 all with 1.70 60's the last pass was a 1.74 60' so still comparable. I plan to go in the fall as well. I'm thinking having the front end 4" lower then the rear could be helping the truck hook. I guess i'll find out once it's leveled or lifted on 37's because i plan to make a few passes on those too to see how much they slow me down.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ive never seen idling times or any of that effect anything on a 6.4 much . I have made 8 passes all continuously back to back and the biggest difference was .01 to each pass , barely ever slowing down to wait in the lanes and had little to no variance in times. but the ambient temp and humidity are a direct effect of horsepower. don't sweat idling , it will make zero difference. but running ac in the lanes will get you yelled at and possibly thrown out depending on the track, that's a big no-no . all passes I made that day were 8.01 to 8.09 in the 1/8th .

RSK

Reaction score
ive never seen idling times or any of that effect anything on a 6.4 much . I have made 8 passes all continuously back to back and the biggest difference was .01 to each pass , barely ever slowing down to wait in the lanes and had little to no variance in times. but the ambient temp and humidity are a direct effect of horsepower. don't sweat idling , it will make zero difference. but running ac in the lanes will get you yelled at and possibly thrown out depending on the track, that's a big no-no . all passes I made that day were 8.01 to 8.09 in the 1/8th .

Its supposed to be 80* this saturday so hopefully i get can 4-5 passes in before 10am before it starts getting hot out, i'll drop tire pressures to what you said and give it hell and see what happens.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure any turbo vehicle is succeptable to heat soak. Even from just being shut of when the motor is hot and then running it a short time after. The intercooler gets hot, along with all of the piping. Its nature of the beast. Not much you can do about it really. Unless you have an air to water set up. Regardless if you're idling or sitting in the lane with the truck off the intercooler and intake air temps will go up don't stress it. And like Mike said it may not be enough to make a noticeable difference in these trucks.. Good luck this weekend, I with I could make it!!

RSK

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure any turbo vehicle is succeptable to heat soak. Even from just being shut of when the motor is hot and then running it a short time after. The intercooler gets hot, along with all of the piping. Its nature of the beast. Not much you can do about it really. Unless you have an air to water set up. Regardless if you're idling or sitting in the lane with the truck off the intercooler and intake air temps will go up don't stress it. And like Mike said it may not be enough to make a noticeable difference in these trucks.. Good luck this weekend, I with I could make it!!

Ambient temperature is equally important. So being that its gonna be 80 out this saturday if not hotter so 12's might be there they might not until it cools off, or i go to a street night during the week, but its about 2 hrs each way and street nights are usually packed. I might try new england drag way in Epping,Nh its about 40 miles further for me. Might be a little further north too. It's only 90' above sea level but lebanon valley is only 600' so elevation probably has no play in this in my case.

Last edited:

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
side question: why is AC a no-no in the lanes?

i'm not a dragger, and never heard that before.

RSK

Reaction score
You're not even in the 12s on those 420s?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

exactly what I thought when I made 3 runs and never even broke 103 mph. truck seems a little down on power. only thing I could think off is when I ordered the race tune from matt @ gear head automotive, there is a box to check if the truck has head studs and I didn't check that so maybe he pulled a little power out up top so its safer without head studs so my tune is down on power or the truck isn't maintaining rail pressure or converter is seeing slippage in 5th gear. I was planning on data logging my runs this weekend but the weather didn't quite hold out long enough and I won't be able to go to the track anymore, I have to work a few hours saturday morning. oh well...I can still make a few pulls on the highway when its vacant and check both rail pressure and tq converter slip. according to the hp calculator my times and the weight of the truck put it around 587 to the wheels and my 1.70 60 foots aren't terrible.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
The best 60' I was ever able to cut was a 1.72 with stock 17s. I had 35psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. Only tuner and cai. Everything else was stock. Was able to pull off a [email protected] w/310 spartan. This was around november time so it was cool. Ran IDPs tune the following summer and ran a 12.71. Cant remember the mph but it was hot that day. Never got a chance to run Gearheads tune at the track.

Note 3

sootie

Reaction score
The best 60' I was ever able to cut was a 1.72 with stock 17s. I had 35psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. Only tuner and cai. Everything else was stock. Was able to pull off a [email protected] w/310 spartan. This was around november time so it was cool. Ran IDPs tune the following summer and ran a 12.71. Cant remember the mph but it was hot that day. Never got a chance to run Gearheads tune at the track.

Note 3

what gears

RSK

Reaction score
well the truck's leaking oil from the passenger side of the motor....depending on how big of job it is, will determine how long it sits but one thing is for sure if the cab comes up pistons, push rods, valve springs, studs, full egr delete, rockers, and lifters are getting done.....it's not a constant drip but it is marking its territory even if its only been parked for an hour 1.

seems to have a lot of blow by as well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmycE4LUx0&list=UUtb9P8ei7sQ_qk9xFwfr5mA

RSK

Reaction score
Video says that it is private when I went to watch.

i switched it to public. there's oil on my atmo turbo from that breather i put on, I know a catch can would fix that issue, but I think i may have a bigger issue. hopefully not.

Last edited:

Crack85

Reaction score
Blow by looks normal for a 6.4....do that with the cap on top of it...if the cap gets blown off, then you have problems.

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
Blow by looks normal for a 6.4....do want with the cap on top of it...if the cap gets blown off, then you have problems.

so a catch can is what I need? this is leaking oil everywhere from that breather I put which is soaked in oil. I figured maybe there might be a little and it would just vent into the atmosphere but there's oil on the compressor housing of the atmospheric turbo's there's oil on the part of the head, and its leaking onto the ground in 2 different spots, hopefully its all from this and there is no actual leak.

Latest posts

Members online