My build-Hard work pays off!

How far to go when the cab is pulled the first time

• Total voters

RedRice589

Reaction score
Lol Tmi! I did a boosted launch at a stop light on the way to a country concert a month ago and the cooler went flying back hit the tailgate and launched a handle of absolute and the red solo cups out of the cooler. Good thing we had extras in the cab...

Sent everything including my gps off my dash hahah and my black Maxx left the dash the second time. I need to find somebody who wants a black Maxx so I can get a Mini.

RSK

Reaction score
well went to the track today, and put my truck on the scale again and made 0 attempts at weight reduction...and it weighed 7940 with me in it and only a 1/4 tank of fuel in it. still had my spare tire, tail gate, jack, trailer hitch, fuel tank skid plate, transfer case skid plate...anyways...didn't break into 12.90's... maybe next time. 0 traction issues, I drop tire psi to 38psi in a 4 corners. who knows maybe that hurt me. I was leaving hard, but not hard enough. 1800rpm was weak so I stepped it up to 2000rpm and almost 25psi of boost and it left harder but not much harder, didn't spin or hop any of my 3 runs I got in. I got 2 runs in within a matter of 5 mins then my 3rd run I had to wait 25mins for, and my buddy wanted to leave so we left, so I drove 2 hours each way for 3 passes. I know it sucks, next time I'm going by myself....anyways

C2316570-2619-4379-A42A-1F8FB673E70B_zpsyx58ojjs.jpg

5D6DC123-A18C-4DBD-8F1D-1F2ABE1EDD5C_zpsa8qiwoo5.jpg

2B355F69-9506-48E5-9039-C380525DAC53_zpsxl7d9f5j.jpg

I know I need to launch harder. If I could have dropped my 60' times to the 1.66 range, I probably would have seen a 12.90's pass. no way was this truck going 12.50's or 12.60's tune only...not today without unbolting quite a few items which I'd rather have on the truck

RSK

Reaction score
Damn SRT hahaha looked smokey as hell. I would start with all the skid plates and then spare and tailgate at the track.

that Srt made "600" hp and weighed in at 6200lbs he was running 12.25's-60's all morning. as you can see I out 60' him, and 330 but then the gap grew from there. only reason I didn't take that stuff off is that's not how I drive my truck everyday. I think i just need to launch with 25-28psi. I launched at 1800 once then 1900 which is almost or a little over 20psi I'm thinking 2000rpm launches should get me down into the 1.60's and I should crack into the 12.90's....

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Your mph is off for some reason. Here is mine with Gearhead tune, no limit intake, and exhaust. Leaving at 1800ish 7660 pounds but I had about the same mph at 8100 pounds on the H&S tunes
5agebuva.jpg

RSK

Reaction score
Your mph is off for some reason. Here is mine with Gearhead tune, no limit intake, and exhaust. Leaving at 1800ish 7660 pounds but I had about the same mph at 8100 pounds on the H&S tunes
5agebuva.jpg

Yes i have a no limit intake as well. Still on the stock down pipe for now, but maybe your truck was making a hair more power? Idk tires, wheels, hairline crack in one of my pistons? It did have a slight miss at idle after my second run and my 3rd run was slower, but probably from me being nervous at the line. Doubt i have a cracked piston already. It is possible. Just turned 100k on my way to the track...like i said before i left at 1900. The smoke does clear up around 5th gear, its probably draining the rail up top. Or if its off in a good way like its too high then i would bet that from my weak 60' times

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
Yea, I'm just saying lol. Good runs man!

I was really hopin for 12.90's or 80's but my friend i brought with me had to be back by a certain time, so i didn't really have the whole day to try launching harder. And before this i've only raced one 2wd cummins i had another 4x4 cummins that i had the transmission built in and they were each my only truck so i couldn't afford to have it break. This is more of a spare.

RSK

Reaction score
I would say at 25 lbs your launching hard enough.

Well its launching hard, but there's zero wheel hop, and my 60' is weak and the trans is fine will light the tires up at 25mph maybe 30.... It may not be 25psi but its close to 2000rpm

madman1234509

Reaction score
What tune were you running? Also, traction bars will be your friend..... Im surprised your launching it with that much psi without issue. Normally I thought people launched at like 10-15 psi.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
What tune were you running? Also, traction bars will be your friend..... Im surprised your launching it with that much psi without issue. Normally I thought people launched at like 10-15 psi.
That's what I'm saying. I tried 2k rpm yesterday and I'm pretty sure my truck left the ground for a second lol. About 1850 is about my max and resulted in 1.70 60'. I need traction bars bad, in videos I can see the rear axle moving all kinds of crazy ways

RSK

Reaction score
What tune were you running? Also, traction bars will be your friend..... I'm surprised your launching it with that much psi without issue. Normally I thought people launched at like 10-15 psi.

gear head's race, truck pulls quite a bit harder...I want to do traction bars along with one up offroad ALA's but I had 0 traction issues leaving that hard. not sure if you watch the crappy video i posted that my friend took with his cell phone, but the truck is hazing some, then it goes super clean. unless that's how the tune is written, I would guess the rail is getting drained and i'm losing a little power up top. I am on 305 nitto 420's and I had them air down to 38psi which is pretty low compared to the 50 they are normally at for towing everyday. you are correct normally people leave around 10-15psi. I launched it at 10psi on the street a few times...its pretty weak...20psi on the street is aggressive still doesn't have a traction issue. but I see what you are saying with the traction bars, keeping the rear axle planted it should use that energy to allow the truck to launch forward faster instead of move the rear axle right? or did i totally screw that up?

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
gear head's race, truck pulls quite a bit harder...I want to do traction bars along with one up offroad ALA's but I had 0 traction issues leaving that hard. not sure if you watch the crappy video i posted that my friend took with his cell phone, but the truck is hazing some, then it goes super clean. unless that's how the tune is written, I would guess the rail is getting drained and i'm losing a little power up top. I am on 305 nitto 420's and I had them air down to 38psi which is pretty low compared to the 50 they are normally at for towing everyday. you are correct normally people leave around 10-15psi. I launched it at 10psi on the street a few times...its pretty weak...20psi on the street is aggressive still doesn't have a traction issue. but I see what you are saying with the traction bars, keeping the rear axle planted it should use that energy to allow the truck to launch forward faster instead of move the rear axle right? or did i totally screw that up?

If you are launching at 25 PSI w/o traction bars and having zero traction issues, are you sure your TC is slipping something bad?

RSK

Reaction score
If you are launching at 25 PSI w/o traction bars and having zero traction issues, are you sure your TC is slipping something bad?

it will burn tire if I nail it from 25mph. don't think a slipping converter or trans would do that. and i'm cutting 1.70 60' not terrible for an almost 8000lb truck...damn fx4 offroad package weighing me down....i'm mounting my go pro on my helmet and pointing it down at the dash. this is bothering me way too much. unless we have bad weather and I can't get all my accounts done by thursday night. I'm heading back to the track this saturday july 5th, hopefully there won't be many cars in test and tune, and I'm gonna see exactly what i'm launching at and watch the video after the run and make adjustments and leave harder and harder until it breaks something or goes 1.6x 60 foots and 12.xx in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Air the tires down more. Gearhead tunes are extremely clean so don't take that into account. If you had poor rail pressure that would equal not as efficient atomization which would in turn make it smoke more. I'd be really surprised if you didn't have some wheel hop launching that hard, even if you can't feel it. I'd try launching at 15 psi. Harder isn't always faster.

sootie

Reaction score
what gears does your truck have again?

my stock converter held me back reeeely bad. it is shocking how bad a tiny bit of slip will kill your time...

i personally wouldn't launch much harder than you are.

Latest posts

Members online