My Impressions Driving a Tuned vs Un-Tuned 7.3

DocBar

Reaction score
I like that guys tunes a bunch.
I've met Tony but never ran his tunes. Does he have a touchy throttle? I'm not, at all, a fan of that. I like a stock throttle feel, with the power coming on at >50% throttle.

To the OP: nice write up, but you sound a lot like I was when I put a programmer on my truck the 1st time. My only mods were intake and exhaust, but that touchy throttle made me feel that the truck made lots more power than it really was. After racing a custom tuned 6.0 a few times, I realized that all I was feeling was more power earlier in the power band, not necessarily more total RWHP.

I'm glad you're happy with your truck. I would strongly suggest getting gauges and a regulated return fuel system, even if you plan on staying at the power level you're at. If you're in the SoCal area, I'd be happy to give you a ride in a 500+ RWHP live tuned truck. The difference is like night and day.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are talking about. As far as I'm concerned, my bone stock truck is a rocketship (leaky uppipes and all). Lol

More power earlier in the power band is overall more useful to me as long as you aren't windowing your block. I think this guy has a handshaker too but don't quote me on that. They can feal like real dogs if you have not selected the right gear and are below 1500 rpm. Higher peak hp is just that and does not in any way really translate to significantly more power over the entire usable rpm range.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
OP,

You realized that you posted this on a site were the majority of the people probably want/drive 500+ whp trucks. Something like this isn't going to get them real excited.

That being said, ignorance is bliss in my case. When I finally get around to doing anything to my truck I will probably feal the same way you do. Actually looking forward to it now. Thanks again for posting. Now you just need to run some gearhead or someone else's tunes and do a follow up camparo post.

Arisley

Reaction score
I've met Tony but never ran his tunes. Does he have a touchy throttle? I'm not, at all, a fan of that. I like a stock throttle feel, with the power coming on at >50% throttle.

No, Tony does not have a touchy throttle, if you want one, you can get it. Power does come on right off throttle, but it is not so touchy that a rough road on light throttle bounces it all over the place.

I don't like one that feels almost dead until you are way in the throttle.

DocBar

Reaction score
No, Tony does not have a touchy throttle, if you want one, you can get it. Power does come on right off throttle, but it is not so touchy that a rough road on light throttle bounces it all over the place.

I don't like one that feels almost dead until you are way in the throttle.
When I get my Hydra, I might try his tunes.

I've had tunes with a throttle so touchy that cruise control was all but useless.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.