My tow pig/DD build thread. F350/Cummins 6.7/twins/6R140

Mdub707

Reaction score
I remember reading about this back when he was learning the CAN functions and seemed like he was making excellent headway. I honestly forgot about it until I just saw it pop up again. Eh, happens to everyone, life gets in the way.

LMert

Reaction score
Just want to chime in and say, despite the nay-sayers and those who are trying to tell you what to do, I really want to see this project work out for you.

You have your own reasons for wanting to do something out of the norm; that's fine, and I'm sure you'll make it work. I've been following this thread for pretty much the length of this project, and I would love to see more updates on how you're going to tackle the transmission issues. With the superior gear ratios of the 6R140 over the go-to E4OD/4R100 transmissions, I'd love to see you get the transmission working to inspire an aftermarket for 6R140 swaps (read: I'd love to have the 6R140 in my '95 460 truck).

me2

Reaction score
I haven't died !

The renovations on the house are done. We are living in it. Having said that, I have a lot of little and not so little things to finish up.

I haven't started the garage project.

Our baby hasn't arrived yet. My wife is due mid July, but her doctor figures she might be early.

My 08 F350 continues to soldier on. I still hate the engine and love the rest of the truck. I've put about 52,000 miles on it since I bought it. It earned its keep and then some hauling stuff during the reno.

I'll resume working on truck projects just as soon as I have space to work in. I might do a few things in the existing garage before I start the garage project. We'll see how the summer goes.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
get your CAD work done for the adapter you were playing with??

just wondering if you have used any of your other free time to do those little odd ball things.

me2

Reaction score
get your CAD work done for the adapter you were playing with??

just wondering if you have used any of your other free time to do those little odd ball things.

I wish. Free time ? LOL. We might be living in our house, but its not done. The reno has taken 12 or more hours a day, 6 days a week since early March. I powered up the cook top for the first time yesterday.

Even worse, my laptop hard drive crashed back in April and I lost a lot of work. I haven't had time to stop and check what my backup has on it.

me2

Reaction score
The 6.4 in my F350 hickuped and died yesterday. Stop Safely Now. Again. I went through this back in April.

Called the wrecker, limped it home before he got there, once it restarted. It quit twice on the way home, but restarted after it cooled down for an hour or so.

Conditions were 65 MPH, 75F, no load, level, steady state cruising with the cab full of wife and kids. It totally wrecked our day.

I pulled codes and found a P200E, which is the following

Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 2 (EGT12) and exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 3 (EGT13) sensors for an over temperature concern. If the EGT12 sensor temperature is greater than 830°C (1,526°F) or the EGT13 sensor temperature is greater then 950°C (1,742°F), the DTC is set. This DTC causes the PCM to immediately illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and enter a torque reduction failure mode effects management (FMEM), which may result in engine shutdown. Once the engine is shut down, the PCM prevents the engine from restarting for 1 hour. If the EGT13 sensor is not working, the engine will not start.
Possible Causes: Diesel particulate filter regeneration occurred during heavy load and high ambient temperature conditions
Excessive amount of soot or ash in the diesel particulate filter
Damaged EGT12 sensor
Damaged EGT13 sensor
Coolant contamination of the exhaust system
Oil contamination of the exhaust system

Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is an informational DTC and may be set in combination with a number of other DTCs which are causing the FMEM. Diagnose other DTCs first. Check the EGT12 and EGT13 PIDs. If no other DTCs are present, the system is operating correctly at this time. Advise the customer of the conditions that may cause this DTC.

I replaced EGT12 due to failure back in March, IIRC.

There were no other engine codes.

I've been having smokey regens all spring, but this truck has always done that. It received a complete new fuel system in April of 2011.

The EGT sensors appear fine. It looks like my DPF is plugged. I now have to either delete the &*^%^$ thing or park it. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I need to go on a 800 mile trip tomorrow. ^&**^%% POS !

Unless an injector has gone south or its leaking coolant...

I LOVE how manufacturers can put in a $2K nav system, but not build anything into the dash to read codes.

I also love how there isn't any warning system to say, hey, your DPF is getting full, until the *&^%$! quits and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'd park it until I do the swap, but I'm just about to start building my new garage and I need it for the project. Maybe I'll fix the broken stuff (from being stolen) on my CUMMINS powered '99 F250 and drive it. Lucky I didn't sell it.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The 6.4 in my F350 hickuped and died yesterday. Stop Safely Now. Again. I went through this back in April.

Called the wrecker, limped it home before he got there, once it restarted. It quit twice on the way home, but restarted after it cooled down for an hour or so.

Conditions were 65 MPH, 75F, no load, level, steady state cruising with the cab full of wife and kids. It totally wrecked our day.

I pulled codes and found a P200E, which is the following

Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 2 (EGT12) and exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 3 (EGT13) sensors for an over temperature concern. If the EGT12 sensor temperature is greater than 830°C (1,526°F) or the EGT13 sensor temperature is greater then 950°C (1,742°F), the DTC is set. This DTC causes the PCM to immediately illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and enter a torque reduction failure mode effects management (FMEM), which may result in engine shutdown. Once the engine is shut down, the PCM prevents the engine from restarting for 1 hour. If the EGT13 sensor is not working, the engine will not start.
Possible Causes: Diesel particulate filter regeneration occurred during heavy load and high ambient temperature conditions
Excessive amount of soot or ash in the diesel particulate filter
Damaged EGT12 sensor
Damaged EGT13 sensor
Coolant contamination of the exhaust system
Oil contamination of the exhaust system

Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is an informational DTC and may be set in combination with a number of other DTCs which are causing the FMEM. Diagnose other DTCs first. Check the EGT12 and EGT13 PIDs. If no other DTCs are present, the system is operating correctly at this time. Advise the customer of the conditions that may cause this DTC.

I replaced EGT12 due to failure back in March, IIRC.

There were no other engine codes.

I've been having smokey regens all spring, but this truck has always done that. It received a complete new fuel system in April of 2011.

The EGT sensors appear fine. It looks like my DPF is plugged. I now have to either delete the &*^%^$ thing or park it. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I need to go on a 800 mile trip tomorrow. ^&**^%% POS !

Unless an injector has gone south or its leaking coolant...

I LOVE how manufacturers can put in a $2K nav system, but not build anything into the dash to read codes.

I also love how there isn't any warning system to say, hey, your DPF is getting full, until the *&^%$! quits and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'd park it until I do the swap, but I'm just about to start building my new garage and I need it for the project. Maybe I'll fix the broken stuff (from being stolen) on my CUMMINS powered '99 F250 and drive it. Lucky I didn't sell it.

Your DPF is at the end of its life cycle, they can only be cleaned so many times then they are junk.

me2

Reaction score
I like how you complain when you know it's been smoking during regin.
Then the DPF has been done since I bought the truck 55,000 miles ago, at 83K. Its always been smoking through regens.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Just think of how much happier you would be if you followed advice to go ahead and delete and tune the truck that was given in this thread over a year ago when you realized this was a much longer term project than you anticipated.

me2

Reaction score
Just think of how much happier you would be if you followed advice to go ahead and delete and tune the truck that was given in this thread over a year ago when you realized this was a much longer term project than you anticipated.

Silly me for thinking a stock diesel engine in a Ford truck could go 150K without having major issues.

Also funny is the fact that the 6.4 is loaded with emissions junk and its spewed more crap than the 5.9 and 7.3 I drove previously put together.