My truck thinks the door is ajar!?

jestersv

Reaction score
lights go out at 17 mph not distance traveled and it is probably the switch in the door...common problem have you figured out which door is causing light? gem will probably keep lights on for all doors....

ToMang07

Reaction score
My girlfriend's 02 Explorer is doing this...very annoying. You can shut them off with the dimmer....problem is if you don't shut them off when you park it the lights stay on. I tried spraying the latches/hinges with copious amounts of WD-40 last night....no fix.

Anybody ever actually replaced the switch? Any idea how much? (Or how)

Arisley

Reaction score
You have to spray the latch. Not just the catch on the outside of the door. Get inside the door panel and spray the latch.

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
GEM is attached to the back of the fuse block. If you still have this problem just take the bulb out when its night out.

powerstroke 825

Reaction score
This must be a very common problem my truck just started doing this a couple weeks ago. It does not do it every time but sometimes it does and the light eventually goes out. The first time it did it I was pulled over in a parking lot for about 5min opening and shutting doors and making sure stuff was out of the way!

taterthedog

Reaction score
My girlfriend's 02 Explorer is doing this...very annoying. You can shut them off with the dimmer....problem is if you don't shut them off when you park it the lights stay on. I tried spraying the latches/hinges with copious amounts of WD-40 last night....no fix.

Anybody ever actually replaced the switch? Any idea how much? (Or how)

A good penetrating fluid works much better for this than WD-40. Release-all is one that comes to mind.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Make sure if it has any rubber that you dont use PB blaster or the **** will squeek foreever.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Sometimes when it says my door is ajar, I just hit the window switches and it goes out.

Jeffreyt

Reaction score
Sometimes when it says my door is ajar, I just hit the window switches and it goes out.

The GEM module (99-01) or the VSM (02-03) control the delay for the radio, windows, etc... for when the ignition is turned off. They also handle the door locks and take the reading from the door sensors to know if the doors are open or not.

If your problem is only the truck thinking the door is open, the best bet is to try to spray the sensor in the door. If there are symptoms in multiple systems, or if one system being turned on fixes the other, it's probably the GEM or VSM.

The GEM is behind the fuse panel and is very susceptible to water from a leaking windshield. The VSM is behind the backseat and is susceptible to water from a leaking back glass.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
The GEM module (99-01) or the VSM (02-03) control the delay for the radio, windows, etc... for when the ignition is turned off. They also handle the door locks and take the reading from the door sensors to know if the doors are open or not.

If your problem is only the truck thinking the door is open, the best bet is to try to spray the sensor in the door. If there are symptoms in multiple systems, or if one system being turned on fixes the other, it's probably the GEM or VSM.

The GEM is behind the fuse panel and is very susceptible to water from a leaking windshield. The VSM is behind the backseat and is susceptible to water from a leaking back glass.

VSM is behind the back seat?

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Ive been told its behind the radio, its not a huge bother but I wanna add keyless entry to my truck and was told replacing the VSM with one from a truck that had it will work.

Jeffreyt

Reaction score
Did a little reading and it looks like its above the hump, below the radio. Now I've got to see what it was that is behind the seat that in thinkin about...

Edit: looks like its behind the backseat in some (or all) f-150s that have the vsm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online