Not your average Tuner question.....

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Go ahead and razz me if need be, but Ive got some tuner questions that are a bit too over my head right now......

So the basis of the question is....Other than canned tunes, what sets the tuners apart?????

Right now Im leaning more toward the SCT TS just because it seems as though it has the best interface and features, but the DashDaq is also nice.

Ive ruled out a Mini Max just based of the fact that to me it looks like I would be looking at my old Game Boy all the time. The SCT and Spartan have a lot nicer monitor for sure!!!

But other than looks and tunes, what sets those 2 apart???? Price? Thats pretty different too!!!

For right now, Ill be happy with some canned tunes because my truck will be staying very close to stock for the time being, so i dont need all the cool MCC stuff. I want a Tuner that i can monitor a good amount of stuff to keep an eye on everything, be able to have a better tune for the trans, and run all the Deletes.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Go ahead and razz me if need be, but Ive got some tuner questions that are a bit too over my head right now......

So the basis of the question is....Other than canned tunes, what sets the tuners apart?????

Right now Im leaning more toward the SCT TS just because it seems as though it has the best interface and features, but the DashDaq is also nice.

Ive ruled out a Mini Max just based of the fact that to me it looks like I would be looking at my old Game Boy all the time. The SCT and Spartan have a lot nicer monitor for sure!!!

But other than looks and tunes, what sets those 2 apart???? Price? Thats pretty different too!!!

For right now, Ill be happy with some canned tunes because my truck will be staying very close to stock for the time being, so i dont need all the cool MCC stuff. I want a Tuner that i can monitor a good amount of stuff to keep an eye on everything, be able to have a better tune for the trans, and run all the Deletes.

If you main motivation is monitoring ability, I have to go with the Spartan by a long shot.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
I know this wont help your decision, But I love my spartan and my h&s. I use the spartan for track use mainly and h&s mcc for daily driving. The mcc is wonderful for tuning and the dashdaq is perfect for monitoring.. They both have their qualitys .

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
So why is the DD so much more that the SCT and Mini? I have no problem with the "Get what you pay for", but are you really getting that much more?

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Dashdaqs are Very very nice units. I didnt think the TS was offering offroad tuning

3brorce

Reaction score
More options for trying different tuners tunes on the SCT platform is the way I look at it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I always push people to get a dashdaq to monitor and something else to tune on

NOTHING wrong with spartan tuning but the versatility of H&S and SCT sure make them hard to beat

B585Ford

Reaction score
I think everybody summed this up very well. I haven't seen the TS but was under the impression getting off-road tuning would be difficult. I used the LW and for monitoring, it was bad. I got tired of looking EOTs in degree Celsius and ECTS in degrees Fahrenheit, RP in pascals/bars, etc. I am very happy with my H&S but if the OP doesn't like it, IMO Spartan and SCT are good choices for tuning, but the DD is much better for monitoring.

sootie

Reaction score
i have always had good luck with H&S and like the fact that they have defueling capability. they also are shift-on-the-fly. (i kno this can be hard on the trans in some cases)
even tho the mm is small it is not hard to read.
i you have more money avail and dont like the mm i would recommend finding a used dd for the monitor and getting the SCT handheld programmer with some custom tunes from Gearhead or Innovative.

ps. i currently have a mm and a ts and much prefer the gauges on the mm because they are easier to navigate and easier to see-just my 0.02

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
I agree i love every bit of my Spartan....except for not being able to correct the speedo for larger tires. So i havent put 35s on it yet till they release that update

pog

Reaction score
does the speedo change that much? on my stock 20s with 35s the speedo wasnt even off. even when i tune using my sct i leave it on 33" and its accurate.

3brorce

Reaction score
^^^ Same with me. 3 trucks on the farm and all of the speedos are off due to larger tires. I leave my tire size stock in the LW because that is how I get the most consistent shifting and that is what Eric recommends

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Dashdaqs are Very very nice units. I didnt think the TS was offering offroad tuning

Last i looked DPF/EGR Deletes were an aditional $100........

I always push people to get a dashdaq to monitor and something else to tune on

NOTHING wrong with spartan tuning but the versatility of H&S and SCT sure make them hard to beat

Then it sounds more and more like like getting the DD for now for monitoring and canned tunes and if I have "That need :evil " I can upgrade to MCC or another tuner, but have the DD for monitoring. Looks like i will be digging deeper into the DD til my money for it shows up.....

I agree i love every bit of my Spartan....except for not being able to correct the speedo for larger tires. So i havent put 35s on it yet till they release that update

That is No Bueno though. I already have 35's and would like to keep my speedo as close as possible.....

WoodBoy

Reaction score
A 34.3" tire to a 35" tire isnt going to affect your speedo enough to even make an adjustment. Most vehicles read a tad fast from the factory anyways. I dont think anyone is loading custom tunes onto the TS is what I meant but I may be wrong.

B585Ford

Reaction score
A 34.3" tire to a 35" tire isnt going to affect your speedo enough to even make an adjustment. Most vehicles read a tad fast from the factory anyways. I dont think anyone is loading custom tunes onto the TS is what I meant but I may be wrong.

That was my impression also, but I can't say for sure.

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Ah! That makes sence!!!

I guess Im pretty well sold on the Spartan, i know there are a few negitives with it, but Ill need to weigh all of those but got to start looking for some package deals now! Might as well spring for a few other goodies too.....

A.thoma

Reaction score
Canned sct tunes SUCKKKKKK I have to retune it with the same tune about once every two or three weeks I honestly think it has to do with how many times I start my truck it shifts ****ty it throws codes saying I can't connect to my TCM or PCM yet my truck is running but it's a cheap route to getting custom tunes :thumbs:

08twinturbo

Reaction score
You are exactly right. Mine was only 1mph off going from the stock 20" goodyears to the 35"s. There were no issues with shifting.

Latest posts

Members online