OBS 05+ axle swap

glovemeister

Reaction score
Anyone have a good list of bracket part numbers and misc stuff to purchase new from Ford for this swap?

sdh1994

Reaction score
These are the prices I just got from Sunrise Ford, just email them and let them know what year. I used 2010 because of better coilspring bucket.

spring buckets

lh list $181.75 sell $130.86

rh list $183.77 sell $132.31

rh radius bracket list $215.23 sell $154.97

lh radius bracket list $180.82 sell $130.19

radius arm bushings list $76.75 each sell $55.26 each

m j

Reaction score
how about the frame side trac bar bracket and steeing stabilizer bracket for the 05-ish? I think someone said they differ from the 08 ones I have.
snow on the gorund here so too lazy to lay under the 05 and compare

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
They are different but since the bracket it cast I don't see a reason why it would have to be purchased new.

For the price of coil buckets, I'm just buying new again. That is what I did on my 2nd swap

As for the frame side track bar bracket, much easier to just fabricate one

iowacornfarmer

Reaction score
Would like to see your track bar bracket Frank. I think it is the only major issue on the whole swap.

glovemeister

Reaction score
Anyone know which pitman arm to use? I see in a few threads online people discuss two different pitman arm styles, one of which is longer/straighter and good for swaps. I searched through all the years and found that a 99 year has two different choices, but wasn't sure.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Would like to see your track bar bracket Frank. I think it is the only major issue on the whole swap.
When I did mine, I trimmed the front of the crossmember and modified the 05 trackbar bracket to work. Some don't agree with it but my angles were right and had no bump steer or issues. 3 holes drilled into crossmember and 2 tapped into frame. I didn't want a weld on version.

Honestly though, Frank's right in that fabbing one and welding will be easier and quicker for the 05+ suspension swap.

I just converted the truck back to leaf springs with a pmf rsk and 04 SD axles. (Selling the obs and put the coil suspension under the 04) Very glad I didn't weld a bracket to the frame. Using the SD trackbar from the 04, nobody makes a bracket for the obs, so I'm making my own bolt on bracket using the same mounting locations as the 05 did. It's alot of work but will be worth it.
Anyone know which pitman arm to use? I see in a few threads online people discuss two different pitman arm styles, one of which is longer/straighter and good for swaps. I searched through all the years and found that a 99 year has two different choices, but wasn't sure.

Use the 05+ steering box and pitman arm. Other than reaming out the frame bolt holes and using 6.0 factory headbolts to mount it, it plugs and plays...

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Mine is just a pre made weld on bracket from ballistic farbications.

If keeping the obs steering box make sure you use a f350 pitman arm as it's straighter then the f250 arm. I prefer swapping in the 05+ steering box and pitman as it's MUCH beefier, the pitman is longer, and will provide more turning ability from lock to lock

Shovel

Reaction score
Using the SD trackbar from the 04, nobody makes a bracket for the obs, so I'm making my own bolt on bracket using the same mounting locations as the 05 did. It's alot of work but will be worth it.

How do the 99-04 trackbar bracket and the 2005-2007 differ?

Strokersace

Reaction score
How do the 99-04 trackbar bracket and the 2005-2007 differ?
Significantly. The bar on the 05 plus is longer. Also the 05 bracket had 3 bolts on the crossmember and a wider footprint on the frame. Whereas the 04 only has 1 bolt on the crossmember, 2 close together on the frame, and the bar mounts more inward.

Shovel

Reaction score
Significantly. The bar on the 05 plus is longer. Also the 05 bracket had 3 bolts on the crossmember and a wider footprint on the frame. Whereas the 04 only has 1 bolt on the crossmember, 2 close together on the frame, and the bar mounts more inward.

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for. :thumbsup:

Shovel

Reaction score
I can get you pictures tonight of them side by side. Also it'll show how I modded the 05 bracket for the obs too.

That would be awesome! Would you happen to know if there's any difference between the 2005-2007 bracket and the 2008+?

JayTee013

Reaction score
I'd love to see some pics of how you modded the bracket as well. Just finished pulling everything out from under the '05 tonight. Hopefully over the next week I'll get the buckets and track bar bracket cleaned up and mounted to my frame. After removing I do like the OEM track bar bracket and would like to use it in favor of welding something to the frame. Any info you have would be great!

webb06

Reaction score
On the truck I'm in the process of finishing up for a friend we used a readylift trac bar mount made for the 2.5" leveling kit. We also used the 2.5" blocks on top of the springs and the trac bar mount fit near perfectly. The top bolt on the crossmember was the worst part because I had to heat it up really hot and try to flatten it out to get a straight surface to bolt to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
a2b1a160445760ebb8fd2332e6771464.jpg
3d3d296bcfcaf2da5226dba271b7e13f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.