Oil cooler tips and tricks??????

7.3ornothin

Reaction score
We'll... It's time to do an oil cooler on the good ol 7.3 just wanted to see if there was any tricks to help with the install. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
Take the wheel off. And inner mudflap fender thing...have fun. Do it with a buddy. A lot easier having another set of hands helping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary

Reaction score
Lube up the new O-ring and if you don't have a press you may be able to pull it together with a ratchet strap.

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
We did ours with a ratchet strap, worked just fine, did you get a new block heater element and cord? If not I'd defiantly get one, only 50 from oreilly.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Get the gaskets timing cover and block gaskets from Ford. The International black timing cover gasket leaks for some odd reason. The o-rings you can get from either place.

There are drain plugs for the oil gallery and coolant by the filter housing.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Redpower

Reaction score
It isn't that bad to do, just takes a little time. It has already been said, but lube up the O-rings good and use a ratchet strap to squeeze it all back together. The hardest part is getting it out of the truck and holding the gaskets going back in.

JCart

Reaction score
I used a small nylon strap looped around the whole cooler and ends once R&R'd to re-install on the block. Also recommend using a torque wrench especially on the front bolts as they are threaded into aluminum front engine cover.

Billy T is right on point (above) DO NOT...DO NOT... use IH block to cooler gaskets as they will leak.... causing you to tighten up the front bolts and crack the friggin front cover and have it leak anti-freeze...(Read pulls engine to fix front cover, or makes it into a parts truck in my case)...relatively straight forward R&R, just messy. Make sure you change the engine oil after you do the cooler repair and prior to starting engine too, as I have seen anti-freeze drain into the pan.

jrc

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Get the gaskets timing cover and block gaskets from Ford. The International black timing cover gasket leaks for some odd reason. The o-rings you can get from either place.

There are drain plugs for the oil gallery and coolant by the filter housing.

Billy T.
[email protected]

This is true. I found this out the hard way. I had to pull my cooler out for a second time to replace my leaky brand new gaskets.

Take the wheel off. And inner mudflap fender thing...have fun. Do it with a buddy. A lot easier having another set of hands helping

This is also really good advice. It would be much easier with two people. Unfortunately I pulled mine out twice, alone. Terrible idea.

Strokin572

Reaction score
I saw someone just pulled the oil filter housing off the block and left the front header on and pushed it in but didn't pull the front header. Is this a bad idea? Should I just pull the front header and put it all in one piece before putting it back in?

Redpower

Reaction score
I saw someone just pulled the oil filter housing off the block and left the front header on and pushed it in but didn't pull the front header. Is this a bad idea? Should I just pull the front header and put it all in one piece before putting it back in?

That seems like more work to me. I'd pull the whole thing out. Plus you will have a new gasket on the front piece after you finish rather than the old one.

Latest posts

Members online