Oil reaserch I have done.....

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this assumption is based off of less than 1% of all 6.0 motors out there. One report lists a 7.3L...no report lists that the sample was from Schaffer's.

I've run just about all the synthetics out there. With 240K on my original injectors I will tell you the motor determines what is best.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Even if Schaffers was the best... there's no place locally to get it. That's a deal breaker for me right there.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I agree with the above two posts. Just a bit out of reach for me. I have tried the 9000 but the motor just didn't respond as well as Mobil 1, Extreme Blue or Delo 400 synthetics. Maybe it's your shop favorite but unless you run a pair of trucks side by side and switch around the oils used your results will always tend to be one sided.

My experiences are not just 10K or 20K miles...it's taken me driving over 100k on one truck running many different oils to know what works best.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
good read for any heui motor... either way it shows how well the shear characteristics hold up in each oil. how the motor runs on each different type is more then likely different in most engines. also as stated, amsoil and schaeffers is not something i can pickup just anywhere... i know i could order schaeffers from many vendors on here or amsoil from my cousin. but i travel to much to have to worry about trying to find or keep enough in the truck for a couple oil changes or emergency stash in case i pop an oring or line....

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've ran alot of oils. Ran Schaeffer's for 3 straight oil changes and had nothing but stiction issues with this oil. Talked to others who ran it and they had the same issues. Changed to either Valvoline or Amsoil and no more stiction. Not sure if i'll ever use Schaeffer's again. In my opinion...i don't believe Schaeffer's is the best oil. Just use what the engine likes more.

Reaction score
The oil report with the 7.3 was not supposed to be in there got the one mixed up I will post the one that was supposed to be there. And like I stated I personally like Schaeffer's but this was not the point of the OP it was for information only. I guess it does sound like I pushing Schaeffer's, maybe I am a little lol, but I was really just trying to give you guys some real world info. As for the one test on Schaeffer's, all these test were found online in forums from other people, I had nothing to do with testing, I wanted the results to come from independent sources. I took the info they reported and put in my findings.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
The oil report with the 7.3 was not supposed to be in there got the one mixed up I will post the one that was supposed to be there. And like I stated I personally like Schaeffer's but this was not the point of the OP it was for information only. I guess it does sound like I pushing Schaeffer's, maybe I am a little lol, but I was really just trying to give you guys some real world info.

It's appreciated. We may have the worst way of showing it, but it is. :)

For me, even if Amsoil (which I can probably get locally) was that much better, I can probably change my T6 twice as often and still be ahead of the curve...

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Its a good read but oil is one thing I do not try to get "longevity "out of in the sense that it doesn't matter if the oil will hold up better for an extra 2k miles. Because everything we have we run "junk" rotella in 15-40 from tractor supply. 5k miles every change and have no issues. Just off the top of my head that's in 4 trucks with a combined million miles and no oil related issues. Two 6.0 & two 7.3 im sure everyone will get in a huff but these are tricks that towed everyday

jdc753

Reaction score
I've ran alot of oils. Ran Schaeffer's for 3 straight oil changes and had nothing but stiction issues with this oil. Talked to others who ran it and they had the same issues. Changed to either Valvoline or Amsoil and no more stiction. Not sure if i'll ever use Schaeffer's again. In my opinion...i don't believe Schaeffer's is the best oil. Just use what the engine likes more.

Same here, only the Schaeffer's lasted 1,000 miles in my motor before I changed it out.

My injectors were already showing signs of sticking on cold morning, so that summer I decided to make the jump to synthetic, after some research Schaeffer's looked like a great choice. Well I put it in, and no more than 30seconds, with an already warm motor (oil temp gauge showed 100* with the new oil) I had lopey idle and lower power every time the motor got started cold. and this was with overnight temps only getting into the 70's. Once the oil got over 130* it smoothed right out. After 1,000 miles I changed it out for the valvoline 15w40 the truck had all its life with no change, eventually it got 6 new injectors, which were inevitable, but not till next winter.

I will say with the synthetic in the truck it was MUCH quieter at idle and sounded a touch smoother too, but at the higher cost, and the bad experience I had, for the next 80k I have continued with my valvoline 15w40 and have had no problems. Truck now has 180k on it with 2 original injectors, and 6 injectors with 90k on them, original turbo and one oil cooler changed at 113k

Reaction score
Yes because I have never seen these problems with scheaffers. I have seen what it has done first hand to dozens of trucks that I have it running in. This thread was intended to let every one see the results and hear the feed back and make a educated choice for their oil.

rascal

Reaction score
I run Amsoil 15-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine and mine and love it. I change it every 5K. Sine I only put 10K per year on it I don't mind the cost.

Latest posts

Members online