painting the mirrors and door handles?

charlie-2

Reaction score
i want to color match the door handles and mirrors. should i take th etime and sand it smooth or just primer base coat and clear coat? and i want to do the side vents.. anyone mask to v8 powerstroke or f-250 inlay to paint it? juust seein some ideas.

HighOn22's

Reaction score
I agree sand them. I had a local decal make some inlays for my vents. Was much easier than masking around.
Since you're looking to paint your vents then you could get them to make the inlays in black then insert after painting.

1-9-2011017.jpg

charlie-2

Reaction score
painted everything.... didnt sand mirrors or door handles and they look freaking amazing ill get a pic up

BFT

Reaction score
from what ive been told. they go through some paint over the texture and sand in beween (removing the paint left on texture) it takes a few coats but come out pretty nice.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I used epoxy sealer on eriks tailgate handle and it smoothed it out nice without sanding

derrick36

Reaction score
I used epoxy sealer on eriks tailgate handle and it smoothed it out nice without sanding

Did you post pics of that anywhere? I'm gonna redo mine this summer. I didn't sand it when I painted mine and it looks a bit off.

Painting the textured stuff without sanding made the paint look dull. It's not horrible but it sticks out.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Did you post pics of that anywhere? I'm gonna redo mine this summer. I didn't sand it when I painted mine and it looks a bit off.

Painting the textured stuff without sanding made the paint look dull. It's not horrible but it sticks out.

I intended on sanding it but it didn't need it. But I.do.know what you mean about dull looking

No pics I was in a time crunch maybe Erik can.chime in with some pics

BFT

Reaction score

never thought of that:fustrate:

the coats that ive been told to do is with the primer. not too sure on what primer then your color...etc

Wayne

Reaction score
My best results have been sanding the plastic with 320, then priming, final sanding, then base, clear. Also be sure to remove the hinge pin on the handles and add extra clearance so the added paint doesn't cause rubbing. It looks factory when you're done if you know what you're doing

Last edited:

charlie-2

Reaction score
door handles and mirrors.. just primer and base coat clear coat... cant see any texture. chrome grille.... sanded lightly, self etching primer, high build and base coat clear coat. overall turned out good. last two pics are the only good looking ones... ipods dont take good pics..

074-3.jpg

072-3.jpg

076-3.jpg

081-3.jpg

080-2.jpg

079-2.jpg

069-3.jpg

060-4.jpg

907DAVE

Reaction score
You guys using any adhesion promoter before you prime?

Do you disassemble the handles?

derrick36

Reaction score
door handles and mirrors.. just primer and base coat clear coat... cant see any texture. chrome grille.... sanded lightly, self etching primer, high build and base coat clear coat. overall turned out good. last two pics are the only good looking ones... ipods dont take good pics..

Damn, so you didn't sand the mirrors at all? They look awesome.

Wayne

Reaction score
You guys using any adhesion promoter before you prime?

Do you disassemble the handles?

If you hit them with red scotch brite, and adhesion promoter that should do fine. I always take apart the handles, and sand/paint the parts separately so there's no dry spots and plenty of clearance from the back of the handle to the handle frame.

Latest posts

Members online