Per safe ish tuning, beating a dead horse vendors chime in

nah308

Reaction score
i know this topic has been beat to death however I have been researching for a year and want some more current info. I have a 2003 7.3 with ford ais and straight piped exhaust. I have an edge insight cts with egt. In the next few weeks I will be purchasing a chip. My truck however has pmrs and I do not want to destroy it. I have 181xxx on the clock and don't typically drive like a complete maniac. I was hoping I could have some vendors chime in about what they do with their tunes that make them safe for pmr engines. Not looking for trade secrets, just some info on why their tuning is safe/not safe for my truck. What is sone with timing,torque curve, fueling etc.:ford::ford: I am not looking for monster horsepower here and have stock injs/turbo. I am hoping this thread can be constructive and informative and not turn in to a pissing match.
Thanks in advance

sootie

Reaction score
get a php hydra and run Gearhead tunes. Gearhead also sells the hydra

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Gearhead keeps motors alive. Power is in the upper rpm range. He doesn't fuel hard down low. He also writes tunes specifically for pmr motors.

Layson

Reaction score
I really doubt on a stock injectored truck that the tuner would even care what rods you have. I may be wrong.... but you never know I guess.

nah308

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, I have always heard great things about gear head. I wish he had more info on his site about pmr engines and tuning I couldn't find anywhere that mentioned it. I have also been looking at beans/ dynoproven. Powerstruck since They are sort of close to me (3hrs) and php since I want a hydra and that would already come on it
Keep the good info coming

Layson

Reaction score
I have ran Swamps, DI, and BTS tuning. All were great.

I just don't see why a tuner would have different tunes for a PMR motor vs a motor with forged rods on stock injectors.

Your best bet is to pick up the phone and call and talk to the tuners. Then you can get a good idea of what everyone is actually doing.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried with stock injectors. I'm running 175/146 inj and a WW (stock turbo) with Swamps tunes on a PMR motor and it's got more than twice your mileage. That's as much as I'm going to push it with the rods, but it's been happy for well over 100k on that set up now.

x2 on Hydra. I'm still rocking the 6pos, but if I were starting now, I'd go hydra.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
I agree with all that has been said, PHP Hydra, And I personally love my PHP Tuning. The tuning that's included with the Hydra is also PMR safe.

CurtisF

Reaction score
I just don't see why a tuner would have different tunes for a PMR motor vs a motor with forged rods on stock injectors.
If tuning is done correctly, there should be precisely zero difference.

But if you have a tuner that is dumping a ton of fuel down low, blowing enough smoke to wipe out an entire species of polar bear, and is real jumpy on the pedal..... then yeah even stock injectors can turn PMR's into splinters.

Want a quick, no BS way to test if your tuning is right or not? A proper tune should feel mostly stock for the first half of the pedal, and come alive more in the 2nd half. If your tune is the opposite where you have a lot of power at first and then the pedal feels flat later, you're overfueling way too soon.

The Brad

Reaction score
Want a quick, no BS way to test if your tuning is right or not? A proper tune should feel mostly stock for the first half of the pedal, and come alive more in the 2nd half. If your tune is the opposite where you have a lot of power at first and then the pedal feels flat later, you're overfueling way too soon.

I really wish I hadn't read that.

The Brad

Reaction score
I don't have the smoke, but the pedal is more responsive than stock. I don't like the mushy pedal feel, but the trade off is bouncy road=bouncy foot.

So is a touchy pedal, but no smoke gonna hurt anything?

psduser1

Reaction score
I don't have the smoke, but the pedal is more responsive than stock. I don't like the mushy pedal feel, but the trade off is bouncy road=bouncy foot.

So is a touchy pedal, but no smoke gonna hurt anything?

I think your tuner should be able to change the throttle tip-in, fix the touchy throttle. I'm under the impression that small changes go a long ways towards changing the feel of the pedal. My stock injectors ex is somewhat touchy, my 100% nozzle dually is a bit touchier, yet. And the farmtruck, also 100% nozzles, is less touchy than the ex.
All matt tunes.
I think different trucks, with different parts, different wear, so forth, can make standard tables act differently.
On a splitshots injector, youre still going to have a hard time getting enough fuel in to create a damaging spike in cylinder pressure, especially if it's not smoky.
If you dont like the tune, have your tuner modify it.

Carolina444

Reaction score
I'm going through this now I just changed tuners... Had previous tuner for a year and they had power coming on early and anything over half pedal was nothing more. Now I'm trying to get used to applying a lot more throttle to get rolling. I do have to say the new tunes have more power for sure

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
massive pulse widths along with advanced timing at lower rpms are likely the cause of premature PMR engine failures.

some older styles of tuning had massive timing advances to help with responsiveness/ smoke control (hoping for hp and economy gains).

in my opinion if low boost fueling is controlled correctly most tunes can be smoke free yet if low boost fueling is limited excessively the tune could have a light switch effect.

each tuner has their own opinion of how to control each parameter, in this scenario the tunes should be chosen by how you personally would like the truck to respond.

Latest posts

Members online