Por-15

MeTo

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum?

Has anyone used Por-15? Did you use the metal prep first? Are you happy with the results? If not, do you have an alternative undercoating solution? Any info will be appreciated.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
have not used it first hand but did have a customer (family friend) do it while we had there cab up and he did a little prep work by just knocking off anything that was hanging (rust chips.) Turned out extremely well and was almost a little rubbery feeling. I was impressed and would use it, our paint guy uses it a lot on restorations etc that he does. From what I was told there doesnt need to be any kind of prep work just knock down the big stuff and go with it.

btw this should be in general discussion forum

TyCorr

Reaction score
I was steered away from it by people who had used it and said the prep can be finicky. I used rust bullet on half the frame, then e primer, and vht rollbar and chassis gloss black. The other half I used kbs' 3 step system and it seems to be a foolproof system if you follow the instructions closely. They also include everything. Brushes, gloves, glasses, literature on how to's

freddie

Reaction score
I have used POR15 on a lot lately. I painted my "new" core support last year, front and rear axles, leaf springs, RSK, adjustable track bar, both new fuel tanks, fuel tank skid plates, fuel filler necks, etc.

I love it. Granted it makes installation of those parts take longer, but I feel the prep work to prevent rust is worth it.

On the core support, and axles, I had everything sandblasted then used the POR15 Metal Ready, following all of their directions before painting. On the RSK and other parts, I did not sandblast but instead stripped everything of grime or grease via Dawn soap, then used the POR15 Metal ready, then paint.

On the parts that would see moderate sun exposure (hubs, RSK,) I did top coat the POR15 with the POR15 Top Coat, which is UV resistant. Should prevent the paint turning purple, fading, and weakening.

Attachments

• POR15-1.jpg
    POR15-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • RSK.jpg
    RSK.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 134
  • SandblastedAxles.jpg
    SandblastedAxles.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • SemiGlossPOR15.jpg
    SemiGlossPOR15.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146

dsberman94

Reaction score
Be ready for yours to chip, there's threads about POR15 chipping when it's put on a smooth surface even when prepped with all of their materials. Best way to do it is the way air fish said. Knock off anything loose and run with it. If you're putting it on smooth metal, you need to rough it up more than sand blasting first. A grinder disc or something similar is actually what I've read works best to toughen the surface enough to get it to stick and stay the best.

freddie

Reaction score
Be ready for yours to chip, there's threads about POR15 chipping when it's put on a smooth surface even when prepped with all of their materials. Best way to do it is the way air fish said. Knock off anything loose and run with it. If you're putting it on smooth metal, you need to rough it up more than sand blasting first. A grinder disc or something similar is actually what I've read works best to toughen the surface enough to get it to stick and stay the best.
Guess I'll see but the sand blast texture is super rough. I'd be more worried about the RSK and all the other new surfaces I painted

MeTo

Reaction score
Thanks for your time. My "New Mexico" frame has a very thin layer of rust. I'm going to spray the metal prep on and keep wet for 30 minutes, let it dry for a day and brush two coats on. Then who ever gets it when my wife sells after I die can contend with it.

sootie

Reaction score

Have you not touched something fresh from sandblast in your life? at least, if not more rougher than when you grind something, and looks a heck or a lot better as it is uniform.

freddie

Reaction score
Have you not touched something fresh from sandblast in your life? at least, if not more rougher than when you grind something, and looks a heck or a lot better as it is uniform.

I was sort of thinking that. I figured maybe he had experience with a different blasting media.. but everything I have had sandblasted had a surface finish rougher than 80 grit. Plenty of texture for the POR to grip.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I was sort of thinking that. I figured maybe he had experience with a different blasting media.. but everything I have had sandblasted had a surface finish rougher than 80 grit. Plenty of texture for the POR to grip.

Yea exactly. Thats the only reason that cheap, shtty red primer sticks.

Aside from that por will stick if you buy the metal blast spray they offer which converts rust, etches bare shiny surfaces, and leaves a zinc primer.

jsnyder7.3

Reaction score
I'm about to embark on this journey and will be starting from a bare metal sandblasted frame. I was going to start a new thread and happened onto this one. What are the opinions of using POR or Chassis saver vs just priming and spraying a couple coats of equipment enamel? I don't want to spend the $ if it isn't justified. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

sootie

Reaction score
if it is bare, sandblasted and with no accessories, i would get it powdercoated.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you are going down this road and dont want to use powdercoat which cant be touched up if you chip it during assembly, there is better **** than por15. Its about aa goid as rustoleum in comparison to products like rust mort, rustbullet, and especially kbs coatings. I did my frame in halves. The rear section in rustbullet. The front half in kbs and the kbs was easier, looks better, and i have wat more confidence in. They also have better support products. They sell everything from prep stuff to paints you can put over the epoxy coats and even clearcoat and paint you can spray to finish your jobs.

If you are a diy'er and need to fix your pinch welds or inside edge of your door bottoms they sell kits that have what you need. They even include respirators, gloves, pourspouts, stir sticks, and thinners.

jsnyder7.3

Reaction score
Soothe , I honestly hadn't thought about powder coat. It may be cost prohibitive but I'll certainly check into it.

Typically thanks for the additional info. I have been reading up on KBS and it seems to be the deal.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Id do chassis saver and then some good paint. ive done it on 2 of my frames and a fish house frame and its working very well and didnt break the bank at all

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I am looking to paint the bottom of my cab when I have it off the frame later this month. Would the KBS work for that? Was looking at the web site and it looks like it would.

Just starting to get a little rust in a few places and want to handle it before it gets out of control.

With the winters here in MD, if i don't handle it soon, there will not be much left to save LOL

Latest posts

Members online