Project Wheels Up

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Oh, and Nate I already beat ya to the 1/8. Hehe!

The problem is the truck is unloading about half track so it gets loose. I'm gonna get some 90/10 shocks for the front and run the nitrous. That should cure it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Oh, and Nate I already beat ya to the 1/8. Hehe!

The problem is the truck is unloading about half track so it gets loose. I'm gonna get some 90/10 shocks for the front and run the nitrous. That should cure it.

Where's the go pro videos? Need one to show the rear axle from under the truck. Figure out why its unloading.. did you stick with your wacky traction bars or did you build some under the truck?

live life full throttle

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Gopro will be uploaded later when Wade gets home to Oklahoma. The ones on my camcorder will also be uploaded later.

It's unloading because A. I'm running 140 lb/in springs in the rear so it's pretty stiff, and B. I'm still using the stock worn out 87 F-100 front shocks. I'll change the fronts out for some Strange Engineering adjustables.

This week I'm going to hook up the trans brake, order my roll bar padding, order my front shocks, and hook up the nitrous. Next weekend I'll launch even harder and actually stay in it the whole way down the track.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I finally figured out I had the valving backwards on the rear so it wouldn't plant in the rear. I got that figured out between my 2nd and 3rd run of the night. Now you can see that the rear actually plants down. Then after many many many of the racers coming by to gawk and offer advise, we figured out my next problem. You can see in the videos where my front pulls up but immediately comes back down and bounces. It isn't staying pulled up. The 90/10 adjustable shocks will allow it to pull up and slowly come back down. Last week I just had the suspension so tight it was set up like the nitrous cars. It didn't get loose so I could actually go faster, but it bounced a lot. Loosening the rear springs I just traded one problem for another. I should have it fixed for next weekend though.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Got my shocks on the way. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find shocks that work with my application. Only 1 shock works. Competition Engineering 2620 was the only one. We'll see how they do! Saturday the only track around that's open is MoKan. Hopefully they'll let me run between their normal classes. Last weekend they wouldn't let me so I had to enter the sportsman class. Costs more, but at least I get to run.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Got my shocks on the way. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find shocks that work with my application. Only 1 shock works. Competition Engineering 2620 was the only one. We'll see how they do! Saturday the only track around that's open is MoKan. Hopefully they'll let me run between their normal classes. Last weekend they wouldn't let me so I had to enter the sportsman class. Costs more, but at least I get to run.

I vote that next years spring project can be building you an 1/8 mile strip for T&E purposes. Then you wouldn't have to worry about our local track closing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Effing summit wasn't truthful about their product. These supposedly 90/10 adjustable shocks are not in fact 90/10. They're adjustable, but only in the firmness. Looks like I'm back on the hunt for some shocks. They're better than I had though. My old ones were wore out on one side so they were more like a 10/90. These will be better till I find some new ones.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Effing summit wasn't truthful about their product. These supposedly 90/10 adjustable shocks are not in fact 90/10. They're adjustable, but only in the firmness. Looks like I'm back on the hunt for some shocks. They're better than I had though. My old ones were wore out on one side so they were more like a 10/90. These will be better till I find some new ones.

When you say they are adjustable only in firmness.... what do you mean? Like motion of the shock slows down when you turn the "firmness" up?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Yeah. The resistance increases. It even says in the instructions that it changes from standard, to firm, to extra firm. It says nothing, nor does it feel anything like 90/10.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yeah. The resistance increases. It even says in the instructions that it changes from standard, to firm, to extra firm. It says nothing, nor does it feel anything like 90/10.

Well that is exactly what should happen with a shock that is adjustable from 60/40 to 80/20 to 90/10. The firm setting should be 9 times more resistant to compression than extension while the standard should be just slightly more resistant to compression than extension.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Yes I understand that. These have no difference between extension and compression. I even installed them on the truck to see if I just wasn't providing enough force to make it actuate properly and it made no difference. The truck goes up just as easily as it goes down. They are not 90/10 in any position.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
how are they suppossed to adjust? push in all the way and turn? You wont be able to tell on the truck much honestly and IMHO they need to be ran with a fatory shock too because of the mounting location doesnt give the shock leverage enough on the axle

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Yeah that's how they work. I'm probably just gonna end up ordering some strange adjustable coil covers. I'll have to modify the mount though to make something else fit.

It doesn't matter anyway. It'll never be fast.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.