Pro's and con's between the Black Max, spartan, and SCT touch?

mclean

Reaction score
The screen size is the same, the unit itself is not. Mind you this is the livewire and not the touch.
I don't know if it's a visual thing you're looking for or functuality, all give good tunes for functioning but the DD stands above them all IMHO. The SCT has does have perks, (trans tuning, tire selection, fuel upgrade... Etc) make it to be a real nice tuner. Spartan makes real good tunes, I've been running them since 08 and have never failed me.

pretty much what I was trying to say but you did a better job of it haha.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Let me know if you have any questions about the Spartan. We have an update coming soon that I think you would really enjoy.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Yeah visual is big for me. If I go SCT it will be a touch. I liked what the live wire had to offer, but I didn't like the ugly blue lite display. Lol I'm looking for functionality and a nice looking display. Data logging is also something I would like to have. A bigger display would be nice, I'd probably take bigger over better contrast and resolution.

pog

Reaction score
Lw for tuning+ dd for display is a hot combo right now. See what happens when hs releases there mcc. If you plan on staying basic (sorry didn't read the whole thread) I'd get dd with spartan tunes.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Exactly what I'm thinking. Get the DD for now and see what MCC has in store for us. Its helps retail is pretty cheap on the Spartan.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Well, on the 250, I ran the Spartan first, just the 250 tune. I loved it, but it was my first diesel tuner. No shift on the fly was sorta weird, as compared to my buddy's cummins with bully dog... But, after driving mine, and then being in his, I was very pleased NOT to have shift on the fly, and beat his pants off of him..... When we did my first build, I wanted to do custom tunes on the Spartan, but it locked up, and would not let go of my truck.... would not load up the stock tune. Just a pain in the azz..... So, once we finally got it off, I was irritated with it, and sold it. The current owner loves it, and still jams the 275 as a DD. He is on here as well. I went with the mini maxx. Just the 300 HD tune. I tried KEM on it, and made less power, but was much cleaner than the 300HD. It was nice to have the shift on the fly, but it was sooooooo smoky, that I decided to try SCT with Erik's tunes. LOVED IT!!!!! But again, no shift on the fly. I kept the mini maxx for gauges, and future tuning options. SCT sucks balls for gauges......

on the 450, I used the SCT with Erik's tunes at first,(off of my 250 while she was under the knife again) and ran the mini maxx for gauges, then just the minimaxx (after I had to put the SCT back on the 250) It was ok, and smoke was much more under control with the addition of LOW BOOST FUELING adjust ability. I found a good deal on a Spartan, and gave her another shot. The Dash Daq, is a bad azz monitor. Hands down, the best that I have used. I am sold on the Spartan for the 450, and might try it again on the 250 at some point.... and I have already sold my mini maxx.

for me, the setups that i have found that worked best, on the 250 is SCT with Edge CTS for gauges. and on the 450, Spartan for all purposes.

Not gonna bash anyone's tuning, or toss out HP #s, just what works best for me. If H&S gets other people to do custom tuning, I think it would be a viable option, but I will continue to live without shift on the fly.... SCT has awesome trans control options. Spartan has pretty damn good trans tuning, and I really did not like the H&S trans tuning.

Basically, shift on the fly is the major difference. Everything else is user preference.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I actually just found that out SeaBee. So Spartan for now, and wait and see what mcc brings. Any suggestions on where to buy the Spartan from? Cheaper?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I actually just found that out SeaBee. So Spartan for now, and wait and see what mcc brings. Any suggestions on where to buy the Spartan from? Cheaper?

We have to abide by MAP policy on the price as do all other shops that carry them so price should be the same no matter where you look. But we can get you one no problem when ever your ready.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Does any one know what kinda issues guys were having with that SCT Touch Screen Extreme? I want data logging, but will probably run H&S for the tunes. Buying a new Spartan isnt feasible for me right now.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Exactly what I'm thinking. Get the DD for now and see what MCC has in store for us. Its helps retail is pretty cheap on the Spartan.

Oh I dont know why, but I was thinking the Spartan was retail for 529. I think I may have gotten prices mixed up on the 8900 and the Spartan.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Oh I dont know why, but I was thinking the Spartan was retail for 529. I think I may have gotten prices mixed up on the 8900 and the Spartan.

Yeah the Spartan is over double that price point, and the 8900 is almost double that too. The closest thing you'll find for that will be a H&S XRT Pro, they sell for 664.05 and you can get up to a 300 HP tune and used the MCC software for the 6.4 once its released.

pog

Reaction score
The closest thing you'll find for that will be a H&S XRT Pro, they sell for 664.05 and you can get up to a 300 HP tune and used the MCC software for the 6.4 once its released.

i think only the mini maxx and black maxx are gonna get mcc for now.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Thanks BellyBoat.

Yeah I have heard it would only be released for the Mini and Black as well. Guess we will find out shortly. Heard MCC is in the beta test stage now. If every thing goes right should be released in a few weeks. Hopefully. I am going to pick up the Mini Maxx on Friday. Now I just need to find some thing that will give me data logging.

I have analog Glow Schit gauges. Should I put those in or just monitor the H&S?

Latest posts

Members online