PTM headlight color scheme... help with choice...

FordPSD64

Reaction score
672b8187a69bc5b695937d4c81696056.jpg

Here's mine, not exactly what you're looking for but maybe it will spark some ideas

Nj67

Reaction score
Rich, who did you lights and where did the clear reflector come from?
Protuninglab.com sells lights with clear and smoked reflectors. I think they're all black though

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Interesting.... never even considered that.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?

I don't think we ever took a picture of the headlight there might be one after install but I don't know if I have any or not.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I found one but this angle is tough

Attachments

• 10330234_716550438402502_7358050508854263560_n.jpg
    10330234_716550438402502_7358050508854263560_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 166

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have been debating this same thing for my truck which is the same color as yours, I just don't run black wheels. I have thought of every which way trying to decided how to do them From waiting with tan and white all tan, adding black in, leaving it chrome and doing the lights just like unbroken but with a nice projector retrofit etc etc. Still haven't decided what do. This is a set that was done at retroshop as well and its one of my favorites except I would do a tan reflector instead of the silver. But like many have said a lot of white lights just don't look right. Took out the contact info since he isn't a sponsor here
f1dcd170-c882-4bd5-9bf4-65c619731f1c_zpsjog6yjx9.png

UNBROKEN

Reaction score

This is where ya lose me. There's no continuity in the front end now. The headlights with all the black crap in them no longer even remotely match the driving lights. The black in the grille....why?
None of it makes any sense from a "whole package" standpoint.

FordPSD64

Reaction score
This is where ya lose me. There's no continuity in the front end now. The headlights with all the black crap in them no longer even remotely match the driving lights. The black in the grille....why?

Well, unfortunately I took a 40% pay cut with the price of oil so being able to do everything I wanted to do at one time is not really a possibility at the moment. I've got rigid fog lights sitting at the house but I won't be home for another month to put them on. Personally I like it so far and it's a work in progress. As to whether you do or not is your own preference. Maybe that's where you're lost...

Notneb

Reaction score

Meh, looks good to me! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Notneb

Reaction score
I appreciate it!

Honestly I really like the look of the blacked out grille with the platinum bar's painted white. If I hadn't gone black and instead gone tri-coat white I'd probably have something similar.

FordPSD64

Reaction score
Honestly I really like the look of the blacked out grille with the platinum bar's painted white. If I hadn't gone black and instead gone tri-coat white I'd probably have something similar.

Yeah I was trying to do something a little different and at the time there was very few people I've ever seen do it that way. I'm happy with the way it looks but it still has a ways to go

JRLott

Reaction score

The license plate pulls it together...how'd you miss that?

Mine are still factory, and not looking to change, unless the light out put is that much better. I tend to be a function over form guy though. I have seen many lights on here that look really nice. To me white is hard to pull off and black is way too easy & common. That's just me though.

Notneb

Reaction score
The license plate pulls it together...how'd you miss that?

Mine are still factory, and not looking to change, unless the light out put is that much better. I tend to be a function over form guy though. I have seen many lights on here that look really nice. To me white is hard to pull off and black is way too easy & common. That's just me though.

This is why I went with the ones Mikeyfitz had, I've yet to see any truck with them yet. I can't stand halogen headlamps anymore, so any excuse to put HID's in... HID's if they're done right, are less of glare for oncoming traffic, and the light output is soooooooo much better than halogens. I can't wait to compare them to the new LED's in the 17's when they come out. I've ridden in a few Audi's with LED's and wow... just wow...

JRLott

Reaction score
You're just trying to trick me into conforming.

Kidding. I've read they are nice. Haven't run across a truck with them to have a good gander. I like yours and his. To me a white truck with black lights looks like two caves, unless the grill is black too, and painted looks like you're trying too hard. No offense to those that like it and have it. Your money, your taste, and I can appreciate the work that goes into them. I do like the chrome lights on white trucks. A bit easier for white to pull off. Someone posted some with two projectors in the bottom the other day that I thought looked good.

Sounds like I have yet another upgrade to perform. Especially if I can put some good really bright LEDs in the top half to serve as a light bar substitute. There are a couple of those that look good, especially the behind the grill mounted bars. I like the subtle more than the above the windshield mounts...in fact I quite dislike them. This is one of those times that I'd take form over function.

smcox1

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately I took a 40% pay cut with the price of oil so being able to do everything I wanted to do at one time is not really a possibility at the moment. I've got rigid fog lights sitting at the house but I won't be home for another month to put them on. Personally I like it so far and it's a work in progress. As to whether you do or not is your own preference. Maybe that's where you're lost...

Your truck looks damn good and everything flows together. What gets me is the person saying that your truck doesn't flow has black wheels chrome headlights ptm mirror caps brushed platinum grille IMO that's a mishmash of parts. Are you blacking it out, chroming it out or ptm everything? I guess what I'm getting at is the front end and side do not match at all they look like two different trucks.

Last edited:

smcox1

Reaction score
I have been debating this same thing for my truck which is the same color as yours, I just don't run black wheels. I have thought of every which way trying to decided how to do them From waiting with tan and white all tan, adding black in, leaving it chrome and doing the lights just like unbroken but with a nice projector retrofit etc etc. Still haven't decided what do. This is a set that was done at retroshop as well and its one of my favorites except I would do a tan reflector instead of the silver. But like many have said a lot of white lights just don't look right. Took out the contact info since he isn't a sponsor here
f1dcd170-c882-4bd5-9bf4-65c619731f1c_zpsjog6yjx9.png

To the op I think this is the way to go on your truck except have a tan reflector. If you did want projectors I would also do the shrouds in tan but leave the chrome bowls. But IMO you gotta lose the black wheels, on a two tone truck with chrome still on it, it gets way too busy.

Last edited:

FordPSD64

Reaction score
Your truck looks damn good and everything flows together. What gets me is the person saying that your truck doesn't flow has black wheels chrome headlights ptm mirror caps brushed platinum grille IMO that's a mishmash of parts. Are you blacking it out, chroming it out or ptm everything? I guess what I'm getting at is the front end and side do not match at all they look like two different trucks.

And My thoughts exactly and thanks brotha.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score

You would be the only one thinking that. It all matches quite well....you're just talking **** because I criticized the other guys truck. That's fine...I'm confident in my ability to pull a truck together. The 7 magazine features/covers and 20+ Best of Show or 1st place awards hanging on the wall prove that.

If someone can't handle a little criticism they shouldn't post their stuff online. I can handle it...so fire your best shot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.