Question about FICM Tuning?

Reaction score
Hi guys, my 2007 F-350 is basically stock just exhaust and CAI and I think I will keep it that way mostly. I have been thinking about getting that FICM tuner from PHP with all their FICM tunes. Will running just a FICM tune give me a few more safe horsepower? Just looking for a little more power for towing but I want it safe. Does FICM tuning run the risk of blowing head gaskets? All info is appreciated thanks guys.

bboteler

Reaction score
I would ask bill direct what he thinks but I don't think you will have hg issues with a mild tune. Atlas 40 I believe is hg safe and yields better throttle response and better starts. No sure on power on a completely stock truck but I think someone here has dyno #'s on a stock truck.

range91

Reaction score
Bad thing about ficm tune is there is no trans tuning for the extra power. I would get a tow tune from gearhead or tsd they have been proven to be hg friendly if treated right jmo

harrisford

Reaction score
I installed an atlas 40 on my F450. Noticeably different power down low, turbo spools faster. As for 40hp, Im not certain I noticed it in my truck. As far as head gaskets go, I've ran across multiple 6.0s in stock form that have blown head gaskets while towing. As far as Im concerned, head studs should be done to 6.0s as 'preventative maintenance'. As for a towing tune, i think you would be safe just giving your transmission a little bit to relearn

Power Hungry

Reaction score
One thing about FICM tuning is that it does not increase ICP nor SOI timing, so there is no risk of increased cylinder pressures. FICM tuning provides increased pulsewidth which, in effect, extends the combustion process. A longer combustion cycle provides improved torque in the low to mid RPM ranges. This is why most people experience improved throttle response and fuel economy.

In any event, to answer your question about reliability, FICM tuning is generally as safe or safer than ECM tuning. The only real disadvantage is the lack of trans tuning, but at a 40 HP level it's usually not a concern. Even the 80 HP programs can run fine without trans tuning, it's just recommended that the TCM be given time to relearn... usually about 30 miles of driving... to correct for the increased power output.

smokedout250

Reaction score
One thing about FICM tuning is that it does not increase ICP nor SOI timing, so there is no risk of increased cylinder pressures. FICM tuning provides increased pulsewidth which, in effect, extends the combustion process. A longer combustion cycle provides improved torque in the low to mid RPM ranges. This is why most people experience improved throttle response and fuel economy.

In any event, to answer your question about reliability, FICM tuning is generally as safe or safer than ECM tuning. The only real disadvantage is the lack of trans tuning, but at a 40 HP level it's usually not a concern. Even the 80 HP programs can run fine without trans tuning, it's just recommended that the TCM be given time to relearn... usually about 30 miles of driving... to correct for the increased power output.

So here's kind of a a random thought. Do you live tune an ficm like ECM tunning? What's the advantage to runnin this in collaboration with custom ECM tunning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power Hungry

Reaction score
We have done "live" tuning for FICMs as well as ECM tuning. It's one of those things where they tend to work together as a combination then if you try to do them separately. On the old 7.3L tuning, we would be able to work through MFD, ICP, and PWM maps to achieve the most desirable characteristics. The 6.0L has made things a little more tricky by moving the PWM tables into the FICM, but it's still basically the same tuning concepts.

smokedout250

Reaction score
We have done "live" tuning for FICMs as well as ECM tuning. It's one of those things where they tend to work together as a combination then if you try to do them separately. On the old 7.3L tuning, we would be able to work through MFD, ICP, and PWM maps to achieve the most desirable characteristics. The 6.0L has made things a little more tricky by moving the PWM tables into the FICM, but it's still basically the same tuning concepts.

I would imagine the big reason for live tunning on both ECM and ficm would be if some was running a larger injector?... I'm just wondering Derek @ vision was kinda bugging me about possibly live tunning but I'm running anything but stock injectors I'm just looking for better throttle response little easier starts and better mpg. And I have recommended to giving ficm tuning a try with my gearhead tunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-TANE

Reaction score
FICM tuning eliminates inductive heating thus, leaves my wife's excusion almost un-drivable until it gets ect (coolant) above 130*... Plus, she is very un-happy about the smoke that pours out of the exhaust while it's warming up. Oh, and don't forget about the knocking that will have the dead waking up...
:eek:wned:

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not all FICM tuning will remove inductive heating from the strategy, some have mild inductive heating, some have moderate. I would never run a tune without some sort of mild or inductive heating in the file. If you tuned your ficm and are experiencing some serious cold start issues, its time for injectors.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
ALL our tuning uses the [mild] inductive heating strategy, unless specifically requested by the customer in situations where they wish to retain pilot injection.

There are 2 versions of the inductive heating - Aggressive and Mild. Aggressive is the one that was burning up power boards by drawing in excess of 30 AMPs (sometimes over 40) through the main power legs. The mild version (released in 2008) draws only about 20 AMPs max and is less stressful on the FICM circuitry.

bboteler

Reaction score
C-tane...who did your tuning and how long ago? Kinda a blanket statement with no specific info on your truck or setup. :wtf:

C-TANE

Reaction score
The ECM tuning comes from the canned tunes I bought from Innovative along with the FICM canned tune and tuner I got from them as well. Someone has said they (IDP) doesn't use inductive heating... IDP new exactly what I was talking about and offered a link to get a program with inductive heating.
As far as injectors go, the drivers side have less than 10k on them. FICM went low and has since been fixed with a steady constant 48v.

oops, All tuning added and/or purchased in the last two months.

bboteler

Reaction score
Yes I've heard of the Idp issues of ficm tuning and inductive heating, glad to know they got that fixed but it appears from your post in several ficm posts you have a bigger issue. Injector spool valves may be failing. Did you install ford reman? Have you had a contribution test done?

C-TANE

Reaction score
I replied to the last on anougher thread. Yes, reman'd and yes, contribution.

Just wanted to post an update (I hate unfinished threads)

IDP keeps sending me a link to the superchips do it yourself programming page but, I am not a programmer and cannot figure it out.:fustrate: I am very unhappy with this product at this time!:poke:

So regret not spending the extra $ for a gryphon:jawdrop:

Karls03

Reaction score
FICM tuning eliminates inductive heating thus, leaves my wife's excusion almost un-drivable until it gets ect (coolant) above 130*... Plus, she is very un-happy about the smoke that pours out of the exhaust while it's warming up. Oh, and don't forget about the knocking that will have the dead waking up...
:eek:wned:

Yes I've heard of the Idp issues of ficm tuning and inductive heating, glad to know they got that fixed but it appears from your post in several ficm posts you have a bigger issue. Injector spool valves may be failing. Did you install ford reman? Have you had a contribution test done?

I loaded the IDP (yes I got it right this time) FICM tune in November. I have seen no ill side effects. Definitely picked up some throttle response, but I have yet to see any mpg gains. Eh, whatever. Anyway, I am inclined to agree that you may have other issues.

07powerstroke91

Reaction score
ALL our tuning uses the [mild] inductive heating strategy, unless specifically requested by the customer in situations where they wish to retain pilot injection.

There are 2 versions of the inductive heating - Aggressive and Mild. Aggressive is the one that was burning up power boards by drawing in excess of 30 AMPs (sometimes over 40) through the main power legs. The mild version (released in 2008) draws only about 20 AMPs max and is less stressful on the FICM circuitry.

How can you tell if a truck has the Aggressive version?

C-TANE

Reaction score
Update,
I found out that IDP's FICM tuner does not come with Inductive heating. It took me a year to get it worked out but, they asked me to send them my tuner last month and they sent it back with the inductive heating option installed. I had a little trouble uploading it but, on the second try it worked and I love the way everything works together (ECM & FICM Tune). I kick myself for not spending the extra $50 for the PHP Unit but, I didn't know about all the options they include with their FICM Programmer. Oh well, live and learn... I am however, happy with it now:ford:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.