question/tips/tricks/advice/how to thread

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've got everything you could want to delete it with many different options.

Good to know. Thanks for posting up morgan.

Just curious, is it ok to lift at differential? Manual says no.

Guess I never knew that your not supposed to lift right there. Bout the only thing I can see it hurting is the diff cover if the jack isnt on propper. Might slip and mar/bend/dent it.

live life full throttle

stevens6.7

Reaction score
So other than oil and filter changes what are some other basic maintenance to do? I saw doing fuel filters around the 20,000 area mark.

It's my first diesel and I don't want to mess anything up. Be easy on me guys haha.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So other than oil and filter changes what are some other basic maintenance to do? I saw doing fuel filters around the 20,000 area mark.

It's my first diesel and I don't want to mess anything up. Be easy on me guys haha.
Congrats on the first diesel.

If its still under warranty, fallow it to a T... Personally I would change fuel filters before the recommended mark and drain the water fuel separator weekly. Horror stories of denied warranty and costing $15k to replace the fuel system from not draining the separator makes me drain the water every week and change fuel filters at 15k miles.. basics like air filter and oil changes are your preference but never exceed the warranty recommendation. For me i do air filters at 10k miles and oil changes at 5k miles cuz the one time I let the truck tell me I needed to do an oil change after 7000ish miles, the oil felt so gritty/grimey between my fingers and the oil gets black as ***... just nasty... dump the oil in a clean white bucket and slosh it around and you will see what I mean. It will stick to the edges of the bucket and stain in.

As finicky as ford has been on the water in fuel claims thats one thing I would stay on top of.

live life full throttle

stevens6.7

Reaction score
Congrats on the first diesel.

If its still under warranty, fallow it to a T... Personally I would change fuel filters before the recommended mark and drain the water fuel separator weekly. Horror stories of denied warranty and costing $15k to replace the fuel system from not draining the separator makes me drain the water every week and change fuel filters at 15k miles.. basics like air filter and oil changes are your preference but never exceed the warranty recommendation. For me i do air filters at 10k miles and oil changes at 5k miles cuz the one time I let the truck tell me I needed to do an oil change after 7000ish miles, the oil felt so gritty/grimey between my fingers and the oil gets black as ***... just nasty... dump the oil in a clean white bucket and slosh it around and you will see what I mean. It will stick to the edges of the bucket and stain in.

As finicky as ford has been on the water in fuel claims thats one thing I would stay on top of.

live life full throttle

I have 5400 and haven't drained the water separator because it told me it would let me know. LOL. I guess I'll be doing that soon. Aren't you suppose to have at least 3/4 full?

The truck will be deleted here soon so I guess I'll need to learn how to change the fuel filters.

Thanks for the response!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have 5400 and haven't drained the water separator because it told me it would let me know. LOL. I guess I'll be doing that soon. Aren't you suppose to have at least 3/4 full?

The truck will be deleted here soon so I guess I'll need to learn how to change the fuel filters.

Thanks for the response!

5400 miles on the tuck total? Or what you personally put on it? I guess if your deleting it then your not worried about warranty anyway but they say that if you let it get to that point to where the water in fuel message comes up, then its already done what it needs to do to get the warranty denied. 3/4 full of what? Also, until you delete it, top off the def fluid at your oci.

live life full throttle

stevens6.7

Reaction score
5400 miles on the tuck total? Or what you personally put on it? I guess if your deleting it then your not worried about warranty anyway but they say that if you let it get to that point to where the water in fuel message comes up, then its already done what it needs to do to get the warranty denied. 3/4 full of what? Also, until you delete it, top off the def fluid at your oci.

live life full throttle

5400 total miles.

I read in the owners manual they say to drain the separator with 3/4 full tank of fuel.

MHJ

Reaction score
Go with led instead of hids just as bright last longer andbless probkematic and around the same cost i just put some in my truck yesterday

stevens6.7

Reaction score
The pre filter that has the water drain. Under drivers door... both get changed at the same time anyway.

live life full throttle

Oh okay. So if I remember correctly isn't there just a drain plug I unscrew or something and the water drains out? Or am I wrong?

If that's not the correct way would you mind schooling me?

I hate being a noob lol. :fustrate:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Oh okay. So if I remember correctly isn't there just a drain plug I unscrew or something and the water drains out? Or am I wrong?

If that's not the correct way would you mind schooling me?

I hate being a noob lol. :fustrate:

Yep. There is a yellow plug on the black filter canister that you screw out till fuel flows out. Let drain for 10-15 seconds if done once a week or 30 seconds if done once a month.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
The DEF tank...it has a heater in it yes but is the heater on all the time when the truck is sitting? I had my truck in the shed the past couple days when the snow was on and the temps dropped and I didnt start it for 2 days and everytime I have been starting it since it got cold out it makes a whining noise after I start it and it runs for about 5 min. Just wondering if it was the DEF system making that noise or if its something else.

Latest posts

Members online