Ranch Truck resurrection

Reaction score
My current daily driver started life as ranch fleet truck. It ended up at my shop after another one couldn't get the truck to start after throwing about $6000 in parts at it. Never checked to see if the low pressure pump was actually working. Opened it up and found the impressions of needle bearings in the pump gears. They decided the truck wasn't worth pulling the motor and replacing the lifters and cam so they sold it to me for $1000. At that time the truck had 175000 on it. The truck is an '04 XL trim, manual everything.
IMG_16821.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

Someone put the '08 tailgate and lights one (freebie :pimp:)

It was winter time and slow at the shop, so the engine came out the next day.
IMG_16891.jpg

Engine torn down.
IMG_1704.jpg

To find the $20 part that started all the destruction.
IMG_1720.jpg

What was left of the roller, found in the oil pan.
IMG_1758.jpg

And the cam:
IMG_1721.jpg

I pulled the cam without taking the crank out, just removed the adapter/balancer after marking locations at TDC and changed cams. I had a good used one, saved a good chunk of change there.

Nothing like a fresh set of ARPs
IMG_1738.jpg

Sneaky EGR Delete, beating CARB at their own BS game :p
IMG_1684.jpg

Took the steam cleaner to the frame and some spray paint.
IMG_1702.jpg

Got it back together and had to get something better than those white steelies. And some '08 mirrors,
IMG_1993.jpg

Livewire TS cause stock sucks
IMG_19061.jpg

After driving it for awhile, I installed a 58V FICM which help the throttle response and starts. Also ended up with an almost brand new RCD 68mm Powermax (almost a freebie)
Also on the outsmarting emissions test, I hollowed out the cat and did a 4" straight pipe from there back.

I have it up to almost 190000 now, commute around 70-100 miles a day. Might be trading it for another '04 but extended cab/long bed with power everything.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
My current daily driver started life as ranch fleet truck. It ended up at my shop after another one couldn't get the truck to start after throwing about $6000 in parts at it. Never checked to see if the low pressure pump was actually working. Opened it up and found the impressions of needle bearings in the pump gears. They decided the truck wasn't worth pulling the motor and replacing the lifters and cam so they sold it to me for $1000. At that time the truck had 175000 on it. The truck is an '04 XL trim, manual everything.
IMG_16821.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

Someone put the '08 tailgate and lights one (freebie :pimp:)

It was winter time and slow at the shop, so the engine came out the next day.
IMG_16891.jpg

Engine torn down.
IMG_1704.jpg

To find the $20 part that started all the destruction.
IMG_1720.jpg

What was left of the roller, found in the oil pan.
IMG_1758.jpg

And the cam:
IMG_1721.jpg

I pulled the cam without taking the crank out, just removed the adapter/balancer after marking locations at TDC and changed cams. I had a good used one, saved a good chunk of change there.

Nothing like a fresh set of ARPs
IMG_1738.jpg

Sneaky EGR Delete, beating CARB at their own BS game :p
IMG_1684.jpg

Took the steam cleaner to the frame and some spray paint.
IMG_1702.jpg

Got it back together and had to get something better than those white steelies. And some '08 mirrors,
IMG_1993.jpg

Livewire TS cause stock sucks
IMG_19061.jpg

After driving it for awhile, I installed a 58V FICM which help the throttle response and starts. Also ended up with an almost brand new RCD 68mm Powermax (almost a freebie)
Also on the outsmarting emissions test, I hollowed out the cat and did a 4" straight pipe from there back.

I have it up to almost 190000 now, commute around 70-100 miles a day. Might be trading it for another '04 but extended cab/long bed with power everything.

price? pm me?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jason

Reaction score
There you go. Although Hoover on the board is looking for a base model rclb 4x4 6.0, so maybe you could strike up a deal with him on it. I dunno, I love my crew ccabs, and definitely know they are more practical, but regular cabs hold a special place in my heart.

Reaction score
I've got a guy that wants to trade me an '04 extra cab/long bed with power everything that needs a little work. Going to let me keep my SCT, turbo and tailgate. Dunno if I'm going to do it or not. Might just sell it for the right price.

I also put a set of Sinister aluminum caps and a coolant filter on it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Awesome story!

To my knowledge it's darn near impossible to convert the XL trucks to the factory power options... completely different wiring harness' etc.

I like the truck just the way it is, maybe some updated headlights...

Reaction score
It would take a new harness and GEM module. Basically a whole interior R&R. I was going to swap the front end to the 05 style but I'm trading it straight across for an extended cab tomorrow.

Viking

Reaction score
I love how east the XLT headlight upgrade is, just about the only upgrade you can do on a xl haha.

Reaction score
Truck looks sick! Your not to far from me up in Chico, you there for school?

Nope, I live here. I own a shop in Durham.

I traded this truck over the weekend. Straight across for another 04 but it's extended cab and power everything. Got to keep my tailgate, turbo, SCT, and wheels/tires. It needs some tlc but I have most of the parts on order.

Latest posts

Members online