Rear diff help

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
I'm changing the fluid in the diffs today and take off the rear cover to find this. What is causing this scarring and what should I do about it? The pinion seal is leaking slowly if that makes any difference. Any help would be great. Truck has 212k miles and I'm not sure of the rear diff service history

Attachments

• IMG_20130504_135629.jpg
    IMG_20130504_135629.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20130504_135722.jpg
    IMG_20130504_135722.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 135

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
How would I check that? Driveshaft is still hooked up so I tried to pull it side to side and in and out but I got no movement at all. The flashlight I have shining on there really makes it look like are a lot of shavings

rustbucket

Reaction score
It looks like your pinion bearing or crush sleeve is worn out moving the pinion to far in. Pop your driveshaft off and check for play in the pinion. The seal is prolly leaking from its moving around.

Commandos888

Reaction score
Re: Hey bud

It's time for a rebuild! the carrier will be still good.all the bearing's and the pinion will need to be check.I see these from time to time at my shop.:whs: your pinion will need to be change! best bet is get a overhaul kit.it about that time for a rebuild.:thumbsup:

Jake

Reaction score
Crush sleeve more than likely.

I had it happen to another truck and the pinion nut I was able to make a full turn to get tight again.

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
Got the rear axle out earlier and the pinion has a ton of play. Probably 1/8 inch side to side and in and out. Surprised it lasted this long.

Taking it in tomorrow, anything I should know about backlash and preload? Seen those terms thrown around when dealing with this kind of stuff

Jake

Reaction score
The Sterling you crush the sleeve, and the rotational force on the pinion should be 30"lb if i remember correctly.

suprhlr

Reaction score
Got the rear axle out earlier and the pinion has a ton of play. Probably 1/8 inch side to side and in and out. Surprised it lasted this long.

Taking it in tomorrow, anything I should know about backlash and preload? Seen those terms thrown around when dealing with this kind of stuff

If you have been driving it with that much slop you better figure on putting a new gear set in it. Pinion setup on new bearings is 20-35 in lbs, backlash set @ .006-.010

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
If you have been driving it with that much slop you better figure on putting a new gear set in it. Pinion setup on new bearings is 20-35 in lbs, backlash set @ .006-.010

I already figured the pinion would need to be replaced. I'm not sure how long it has been going on because Ive only put about 5k miles on it. The ring gear is gonna need replaced too? How can I tell? I'm kinda on a budget here as this was unexpected. But if this stuff needs replaced I better do it now. Thanks for the specs

Last edited:

suprhlr

Reaction score
I already figured the pinion would need to be replaced. I'm not sure how long it has been going on because I haven't put that many miles on it. The ring gear is gonna need replaced too? How can I tell? I'm kinda on a budget here as this was unexpected. But if this stuff needs replaced I better do it now. Thanks for the specs

The ring and pinion need to be replaced as a set

Commandos888

Reaction score
Re: Hey bud

What's Up my friend!!! Check out randy's Ring & Pinion or maybe XDP.I know Money is tight but get a Full Re build kit For that rear end.Or find a good used one.:D Randy's can set you up with what you will need.

tysonxj

Reaction score
Consider replacing the entire rear axle. Mine looks like yours, and that is what I am doing.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Just adding to this since I didn't see it said. I would call and ask if the wheel bearings, hubs, and axle tubes were well cleaned when the did the gears. If Not there could still be a lot of metal floating around. Most guys will pull the shafts, change the gears and put the shafts back in never cleaning the bearings or hubs. I have actually been to shops that even after me saying that about a truck they were working on, I was told they were not going to waste there time.

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
Just adding to this since I didn't see it said. I would call and ask if the wheel bearings, hubs, and axle tubes were well cleaned when the did the gears. If Not there could still be a lot of metal floating around. Most guys will pull the shafts, change the gears and put the shafts back in never cleaning the bearings or hubs. I have actually been to shops that even after me saying that about a truck they were working on, I was told they were not going to waste there time.

Thanks for the input. They asked me if I wanted them to change the bearings too but I just replaced them 6 months ago. So I said no. I'm changing the fluid within the next few days so I'll be on the look out for shavings. May not have been the best decision but not much I can do about it now. We'll see

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.