Rear drum adjusting issue

Reaction score
I keep having an issue with my 96 350 dually rear drums.

I’ve replaced every component and keep having an issue with the brake adjusters. It’s my understanding you can only adjust the adjuster out or expand it After it’s all back together.

No matter what I do I can adjust the adjuster it in / out after it’s back together and the brakes keep adjusting out too much on their own causing them to burn up.

Shoes are installed correctly with all nee hardware, wheel cylinder, adjuster cables, drums, etc.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If I remember right, these are supposed to self adjust, like slow braking in reverse will knock the adjuster out a couple clicks. You don’t have the adjusters backwards, do you? That would cause it to adjust in when braking in reverse. The spring loaded piece that touches the wheel on the adjuster should keep it from adjusting inward unless you hold it up with something, but that doesn’t always work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Not backwards to my knowledge. I put everything with a L on it on the drivers side.

The metal tab that holds the adjusters never seems to sit correctly on the star portion of the adjuster. Same scenario with new and old parts.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I went through a similar problem and I gave up.

Think I found the adjusting cable that moves the star wheel was too short. I had someone pump the brakes while I laid under it and listened and spun the wheel. It never stopped adjusting.
First one I think I made the big eyelet on the cable egg shaped and that made it less sensitive.

Second, I took the cable off and left it off, just did manual adjustments when I felt they were not working correctly. Did have help or patients to keep dealing with it.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I thought about just removing the cable. Did you leave on the locking tab for the adjuster wheel?
Yep, didn't seem like it was going to fall out so I left it.

It's been 10 years but I bet I still have that cable laying in the bottom of my locker at work. LOL

Reaction score
I think I found the issue. The driver side parking brake cable is almost locked up. That explains why I’ve had the issue after replacing the parts.

Reaction score
CD57368C-1A97-4C42-B697-55F83787DADE.jpeg

Kowboy

Reaction score
FYI

The adjuster only works with the parking brake. If your parking breaks are not working properly then the self adjusters will not work properly.

Latest posts

Members online