S366 VS Full Force BASB Bell 300 series Turbo

ja_cain

Reaction score
I was thinking 80psi ain't coming from a single BASB...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Watched it on my phone once and could not make out the numbers. After watching it again on a pc I can see it now. That is fooking awesome!

uw mitch

Reaction score
Amazon is ridiculous. I ordered suction cup mount yesterday and it was already here today. Anyways, let's see if the forum is smart enough to embed the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0-V_TY45aBTVjFZUkdvYmJCeUk/edit?usp=sharing

It's a pull merging onto the highway. A little hard to see the gauges, but you can see I'm hitting 40lbs of boost. You can also see when the Snow power nozzles kick in, and when the EGT warning light comes on at 1200 degrees, right when I'm up to freeway speed and backing out of the throttle. You can also hear the whistle just driving along at the posted 55mph speed limit.

uw mitch

Reaction score
Looks like your steering is pretty loose/sloppy in the video.

I'm not drunk and my steering box hopefully isn't screwed, I'm just Asian...

Just noticed Red-Head is right up in Seattle a few minutes north of my inlaws. Wonder if they do the BTS kind of thing where I could drive in and have them swap me out a steering box???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Manual transmission maybe? Mine has a lot more engine and low tone noise. And most appears to come through the trans tunnel area, maybe low tone is just drowning out the high from the turbo. I really wish I could quiet It down some.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Reaction score
I would check your DP. My cab level noise decreased dramatically since my chassis guy did my DP. Check out my pics: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51720&page=8

Billy T.
[email protected]
I know the dp isn't rubbing, mine was this loud even back when it was stock style turbo with aftermarket dp. Stock dp was quiet from what little bit I can remember. But my down pipe was rubbing when first installed, I remember that God awful noise, this isn't like that at all, I'm not really sure how to describe the tone, I know the 2 (that's right two) resonators helped ALOT. And I know the down pipe isn't hitting cab. Not sure where to go to decrease noise

White Buffalo

Reaction score
Amazon is ridiculous. I ordered suction cup mount yesterday and it was already here today. Anyways, let's see if the forum is smart enough to embed the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0-V_TY45aBTVjFZUkdvYmJCeUk/edit?usp=sharing

It's a pull merging onto the highway. A little hard to see the gauges, but you can see I'm hitting 40lbs of boost. You can also see when the Snow power nozzles kick in, and when the EGT warning light comes on at 1200 degrees, right when I'm up to freeway speed and backing out of the throttle. You can also hear the whistle just driving along at the posted 55mph speed limit.

What setup are you running and how much weight are you pulling uw mitch? Thanks for posting up the video.:toast:

uw mitch

Reaction score
When I say "pull" I guess I meant pulling out from a stop. No load, just an 8100lb truck. My set-up is 160cc/30% from PIS, LASB turbo, DFI T4 kit, Riffraff intake manifold, 4" diamond eye turbo back with muffler, DP Tuner tunes.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Just an UPDATE:

Just towed my enclosed GN trailer, made a 360 mile round trip. Towed amazing, even the gf noticed. Towed from northern NJ to Cecil County Dragway (North East/Rising Sun, MD). Went down I-287 to I-95. My GVW is almost 21k.

Set the cruise at 70 mph which puts me around 1850 rpm. Truck did not down shift once. The only time I manually dropped out of OD into 3rd was when I was going over the Delaware Memorial Bridge as I did not want to go over it doing 70.

When the cruise was set and a hill was encountered, the boost went up to 20-25. The EGTs never went over 1200 on long pulls. Halfway up the hill, the boost scaled back as the truck was accelerating past the set speed and the motor kept pulling. I was using DynoProven's Heavy Tow tune. I averaged 10 MPG pulling.

This turbo is light years ahead of the stock turbo and "66" style turbos. With the stock based turbos i ran previously, I would have to manually drop out of OD to pull even the slightest hill due to high EGTs. If I kept in OD, boost would only get up to 10psi and it would be smokey; the side of the trailer would be covered in soot. I used the same Heavy Tow tune.

The gf was riding shotgun, she asked what that "whistle" was as we were going down the NJ Turnpike. I replied that is the turbo. She stated that it's a cool sound. When we arrived at the hotel, she stated it seemed that the truck pulled the trailer effortlessly compared to other times.

Build up in the sig.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
Just pulled the travel trailer with the 02 today and the newly installed 38r, the 38r is a huge improvement over the stock turbo on the interstate, especially egt control, since the truck still has stock injectors, off the line is about equal to the stock turbo as far as power and spool up, but the added air definitely cooled it down a bit and what little bit of haze the truck used to have is completely gone...

It is very hard to compare this combo to my 96 because of all the mods to it, obviously other than right off the line the 96 is slower to accelerate because of having to shift, but it would quickly pass the 02 as I get it moving. The BASB still wins in this unfair comparison, towing the same trailer my 96 in stock tune will spool quicker than the 02 in its performance or tow tunes with the 38r, not to mention still averages about 200* cooler in similar situations. I think the 02 in it's performance or tow tune should be a somewhat fare comparison to the 96 in stock, and I'd choose my 96 in stock over the 02.

Last edited:

White Buffalo

Reaction score
Just pulled the travel trailer with the 02 today and the newly installed 38r, the 38r is a huge improvement over the stock turbo on the interstate, especially egt control, since the truck still has stock injectors, off the line is about equal to the stock turbo as far as power and spool up, but the added air definitely cooled it down a bit and what little bit of haze the truck used to have is completely gone......................

how much do you estimate the EGT's dropped while towing? 100 degrees? more?

I've been running the van turbo with Swamps 175/146 SS injectors for @ 8 years and am very happy with this setup for towing. But when it comes time to replace the turbo I'm not sure if I want to go 38R, S300 series or S400 series. My brain hurts from staring am compressor maps & comparison tables.

Latest posts

Members online