School me on 7.3 power handling

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Youre lucky if you can keep a forged rod engine together at 600+ for a long period of time.

Name 3 7.3s that have made 700hp, let alone on stock rods.... I can name 1 that dynod and ran at that level and it popped.

So I beg to differ that you've seen a stock rod 7.3 handle that kind of power.

if your talking just dyno numbers, then there are a lot of them...

see below and add brian jaelich.. i believe charles has too...

I pulled 2 seasons with my forged rod motor 600+

Obsboysel's truck is over 600 it's goin on two years sprayin the hell out of it. It's not driven daily but every time it runs it's ran hard.

Also can throw marty into the mix, he ran 7.6s on a forged rod motor. 7.6
should put him well over 600.

Yeah he was probably over 700 for the longest time on a stock bottom end

live life full throttle

Jason

Reaction score
I was going to say Marty, but was beat to the punch. He's been over 600 for a long time, his old dyno pulls don't show it...in fact, I think they were barely over 500 IIRC, due to not being able to light the turbo, but his track times showed otherwise.

Southmike

Reaction score
the big hp guys I think of
Mike O ...blowby
Jason ....thuglike
Brian Jelich ....powersmoker
zane Koch Wide open performance
Mike D.. bigrpwr
charles...chillen
rockinjw
marty
bean,
lott
dockboy

however most have diesel shops.
you can add the p pumpers to that list and add few more trucks .

Southmike

Reaction score
forgot danny ..imelmo too.
a bunch of those were done years ago
seems like tunes , and part combos have come a long way.

PSDEng

Reaction score
the big hp guys I think of
Mike O ...blowby
Jason ....thuglike
Brian Jelich ....powersmoker
zane Koch Wide open performance
Mike D.. bigrpwr
charles...chillen
rockinjw
marty
bean,
lott
dockboy

however most have diesel shops.
you can add the p pumpers to that list and add few more trucks .

I think some of those kind of stray away from the topic of this thread which is stock bottom end trucks

02BigD

Reaction score
if i have read enough on them all, i think at one time they all had stockers around 600hp that they abused and took it well..

live life full throttle

I am not saying you're wrong, but I feel the need to point something out.

The vast majority of those on the list, were running around at the 500-550 on fuel number and spraying the rest of the way. There is a huge difference between that and running around daily at 650 hp.

Also, between the guys on that list, there's enough bent and broken chit to give everyone who has posted in this thread a complete engine each if all the parts were put together.

Now there is nothing wrong with suggesting to someone on a budget, to throw in a forged rod motor. But let's be realistic and not get folks thinking they are going to be all set doing that and running 300/200's.

PSDEng

Reaction score

The vast majority of those on the list, were running around at the 500-550 on fuel number and spraying the rest of the way. There is a huge difference between that and running around daily at 650 hp.

Also, between the guys on that list, there's enough bent and broken chit to give everyone who has posted in this thread a complete engine each if all the parts were put together.

Now there is nothing wrong with suggesting to someone on a budget, to throw in a forged rod motor. But let's be realistic and not get folks thinking they are going to be all set doing that and running 300/200's.

I guess I should have clarified

I dynoed at 622rwhp and 1299ft/lbs on Bean's dyno during a live tuning session. I daily drove the truck for about a year before I dedicated it to pulling. I went for 2 seasons at that power level.

But you're right....it's still a gamble.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score

Exactly. It's luck. Like I said lol. Half the trucks on that list blew a stock engine and are now or were billet rod.
Yes it can be done. But it's a gamble. Very few live for a long time being used and abused frequently.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Exactly. It's luck. Like I said lol. Half the trucks on that list blew a stock engine and are now or were billet rod.
Yes it can be done. But it's a gamble. Very few live for a long time being used and abused frequently.

maybe my definition of a stock bottom end living a long life is different... i know a few of the guys mentioned ran stock bottom ends for years!

live life full throttle