sct vs spartan

Reaction score
Like i told Jeff, i was out in the houston sun, trying to program stock files into the pcm and other modules for over 4 hours. I saw the thread.. and not thinking .. just typed away. truck is fixed, customer is happy(which is all that matters), i apoligized and. i walked away with my tail between my legs. Thanks for the pointers sir.

SPARTANDIESEL2

Reaction score
Like i told Jeff, i was out in the houston sun, trying to program stock files into the pcm and other modules for over 4 hours. I saw the thread.. and not thinking .. just typed away. truck is fixed, customer is happy(which is all that matters), i apoligized and. i walked away with my tail between my legs. Thanks for the pointers sir.

It's all good. Thank you for your service to our country.

uga33

Reaction score
I have Spartan tunes on my truck and so do a lot of friends and my brother. All of us are happy campers. Buddy has a tuner from the first batch ever sent out and the tuning had only gotten better over time. The newest tunes run great. No complaints here.

stoker91

Reaction score
if i do all the basic mods would smart and go ahead a bulid the tranny and one more qustion would it be overkill to get a air dog or would you guys wait?

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
If I don't have a battery charger what is an alternative way to flash the tunes? Would using jumper cables to another running vehicle work? Sorry if it's a dumb question

Reaction score
You dont want any spikes or drops in voltage while doing any kind of programming. I would say it would be okay with cables on another vehicle, but not turned on. Anyone wanna chime in..

Last edited:

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Just curious cause I hadn't seen that yet. I am about to switch to Spartan tuning and wanted to make sure I did everything right as I can't afford a new TCM/PCM at the time haha. I may end up buying a battery charger but wanted to be sure

clayton

Reaction score
Jesus christ........Im a lucky ****er!!
Only once, maybe twice have I had a batt charger hooked up when loading a tune. (it was readily available so I used it). I wasnt aware the damage that could be done by simple low volts!!!
Just two weeks ago, while 800 miles from home I sat and loaded a tune (210), with radio on....got the egr codes so I RELOADED another right after (275). Phewww!!

CamTom12

Reaction score
If your batteries are in good shape and charged (drive down the freeway for 15min and back!) you should be fine without a charger.

Hell, I've got a battery tender hard-mounted in my truck and I've never plugged it in when swapping tunes.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have run all three, on the same truck, with different setups. I would run a spartan again, if I fell into a deal on one. Great gauge setups, and awesome power. But like was mentioned earlier, dual pumps, different turbo options, etc require custom tuning.

I wont run H&S again. The engine tuning is very good. I like the LOW BOOST FUELING option they have now. I can run a really hot tune, with the fueling turned down, and have tons of power on tap, with little to no smoke, all day long. I recently towed 16,500 lbs behind my 450 with the 300 HOT DAMN tune loaded, with LOW BOOST FUEL turned down to #2, and never had an EGT issue, or poured a ton of smoke out.... And once the TC is locked, it runs great. Problem for me is shifting. Def not crazy about it.

SCT is my tuner of choice. With Eric's tunes. Tranny tuning options are great. Power is everywhere. Smoke is manageable. Only thing is a very touchy throttle on the Xtreme tunes... I have yet to try Gearhead tunes though. I am prob going to give them a run, as I hear good things about them, and I am all about options.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
okayy,is there any hp gains with the airdog

I dont know about HP gains, maybe a few. However, on stock fuel system, the bigger tunes are asking A LOT from your fuel pumps.... I hit defuel on stock fuel system, on all of the bigger race tunes, regularly. When I dropped to Xstreet, I never had that issue. I have an airdog 165 with the elite upgrade, and I love it. It is loud as *** though... I dont like the ford filters, and will eventually switch my 450 over to an airdog, more for the filtering, as I dont run the 450 very hard, except for towing...

stoker91

Reaction score
Thats the only thing i dont like about the air dog,my buddy has one on his dmax and it sounds like a small compresser running,

HOOV3R

Reaction score
One of my friends had a fass on his truck and it was almost as loud as my viair compressor. LOL

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Really? Wow, never had a FASS, or been in a rig with one... Def dont want one of them them.

I've had an Air Dog II on my truck since Pure Flow released the II series for the 6.4. I've never thought it was loud. I've heard FASS pumps that were really loud, but the Aeromotive pump that is used in the Elite setup takes the cake. That thing makes some serious noise. One would expect that though. The pump moves some fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.