sct vs spartan

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I've had an Air Dog II on my truck since Pure Flow released the II series for the 6.4. I've never thought it was loud. I've heard FASS pumps that were really loud, but the Aeromotive pump that is used in the Elite setup takes the cake. That thing makes some serious noise. One would expect that though. The pump moves some fuel.

Damn... Yeah my Airdog II is a bad azz, but it is mounted directly to the frame, so it vibrates, and buzzes loud as hell...

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Id go with the SCT simply due to the fact that there are more tuning options available. Spartan has some fantastic tunes. The 275v2 was an absolute joy to drive. Retarded power delivery and manageable egts. The 210Tow was my favorite be far though of all the tunes I have. Next to zero smoke and would pull like a freight train.

I really like Erics tunes as well. I havent had the chance to install my studs yet so I really havent played with the big boy tunes. But thus far I am satisfied. I dont think you can go wrong with either. But SCT would be easier to work with if you plan on doing hard part upgrades down the road since a lot of the run of the mill upgrades are already in the tune package.

pog

Reaction score
So not to stir the pot or anything, but does anyone know why spartan won't custom tune? I see a lot more threads about people getting over the tuner+exhaust+intake phase and moving on to turbo+fuel mods, and since spartan doesn't offer custom tuning do they just stand still and lose customers? Or is spartan working on something that will work with the people doing custom stuff? They have the best platform(dashdaq) that could be the ultimate user friendly device that would let the user custom adjust things. I'm just wondering here, not bashing spartan I love their tunes and still run them while my motors relatively stock.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
So not to stir the pot or anything, but does anyone know why spartan won't custom tune? I see a lot more threads about people getting over the tuner+exhaust+intake phase and moving on to turbo+fuel mods, and since spartan doesn't offer custom tuning do they just stand still and lose customers? Or is spartan working on something that will work with the people doing custom stuff? They have the best platform(dashdaq) that could be the ultimate user friendly device that would let the user custom adjust things. I'm just wondering here, not bashing spartan I love their tunes and still run them while my motors relatively stock.

They used to, and might still do some tuning. But Jeff has posted up that they were overwhelmed by the requests for custom tunes, so River City Diesel is one of the tuners able to work on Spartan Phalanx tuners.

pog

Reaction score
They used to, and might still do some tuning. But Jeff has posted up that they were overwhelmed by the requests for custom tunes, so River City Diesel is one of the tuners able to work on Spartan Phalanx tuners.

I've heard pricing is whtat draws ppl away from rcd's custom files. I'm not sure of the cost myself though.

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
Not to stir the pot and cause any more dissention, but......the instructions that we send with EVERY tuner we sell plainly states to hook a battery charger to the truck BEFORE downloading a tune. The screen on the Dashdaq also communicates the statement "DO NOT TURN THE KEY OFF". Choosing "cancel", pressing the power button on the Dashdaq, turning the key off during a download OR.... NOT having a battery charger connected to the truck can and USUALLY WILL fry the TCM (transmission control module). We also heavily stress this to customers who call in to order one of our tuners. Just because it only takes 15 to 35 minutes to load a tune, a lot of folks think....."oh, I have new batteries" or "oh, my voltage won't drop enough to cause any issues". The possibilites are endless for ways to cause issues when administering tunes to these trucks. Occasionally, we hear of Ford techs who mistakenly diagnose (after a download failure) the PCM to be fried when 99% of the time, it is actually the TCM that gets damaged. We hear stories from day to day that would blow your mind. Wives doing the hubby a favor and turning "Joe's" key switch off (doing him a favor). "My buddy interrupted me while downloading a tune, so out of habit, turned the key off--- got out of the truck and then realized my mistake". Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world; nor are there any perfect people. We are here to help any and all who need our assistance and would prefer a call for advice or help BEFORE you do anything you are not sure of. Your apology is accepted and appreciated.......BUT, please let this be an example of how to use good business practice and forum etiquette, and as my Mom would have said "if you don't have anything good to say, just say nothing at all"! (or at least discuss it in private)

Getting a 6.4 very soon and still up in the air between SCT Livewire TS (gearhead) and Spartan. What about H&S how does it have shift on the fly and is this something to be worried about PCM or TCM damage? Correct me if im wrong but the sct and spartan flash and can be removed and the HandS is a piggyback and has to stay in the truck?

Thanks

Dzchey21

Reaction score
H&s is hard to best right now, decent gauges, updated tunes are much better, mcc tuning will allow for others to tune your truck... Can't really go.wrong.

I'm still a sucker and a believer that the dashdaq is one of the best monitors out there tho

tensixniner

Reaction score
:whs:

Dashdaq as a monitor is great.
H&S can be removed after the tune is loaded. Doesn't need to stay plugged in.

madman1234509

Reaction score
If someone were to install a dual Siemens pump kit on their truck can they run the spartan or do they have to have custom tuning with the sct?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Dual pumps don't really require too much special tuning. The min maxxes for pressure just need to be set a bit higher so they don't trip codes or limp the truck.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So I wouldnt be able to just throw twin pumps on the truck with my "off the shelf" spartan and have it run right without having those settings changed? What do you mean by min maxxes? :p

If I were doing pumps Id be putting injector tips in, probably 100% overs which I know isnt going to run to its fullest, or cleanest, potential without custom tuning. Just wasnt sure if itd atleast start and maybe be able to run on a lower pulse width tune, say the 275 tune.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It will run and I think Spartan.already has most of thoughs changed anyway to not.throw codes.

You are correct that custom.tuning is probably best but you don't have to. Like you said 275 tune and it would probably run.decent. Depending on turbos shifting will be your biggest complaint

Jammech603

Reaction score
jammech603

If you guys wanna spend less than $1000 to improve your performance, I will guarantee that a FICM tuner (Gryphon) with all four tunes from Bill at PHP, as well as a ECM rollback that goes along with your year, combined with Matt's tunes from Gearhead is your best choice. Im running Matt's SRL XX with the Hercules FICM tune and ECM rollback from PHP and its retarded how much power and torque I have and gained. With those three changes I'm right around 600hp at the crank! Questions, just ask me, Matt or Bill, they are by far the best in the business and are hands down the most professional experts I've dealt with.

jdgleason

Reaction score
If you guys wanna spend less than $1000 to improve your performance, I will guarantee that a FICM tuner (Gryphon) with all four tunes from Bill at PHP, as well as a ECM rollback that goes along with your year, combined with Matt's tunes from Gearhead is your best choice. Im running Matt's SRL XX with the Hercules FICM tune and ECM rollback from PHP and its retarded how much power and torque I have and gained. With those three changes I'm right around 600hp at the crank! Questions, just ask me, Matt or Bill, they are by far the best in the business and are hands down the most professional experts I've dealt with.

Ya FICM's work great on 6.4's....

Except 6.4's don't have FICM's.

HOOV3R

Reaction score

This is the 6.4 section :poke:

luther's 2008

Reaction score
I've only run the Spartan 210 Tow tune and I love it. Once my EGR delete stuff is ready to put on I'll have Spartan send me an EGR delete tow tune.
My buddy runs an SCT and loves it.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I've only run the Spartan 210 Tow tune and I love it. Once my EGR delete stuff is ready to put on I'll have Spartan send me an EGR delete tow tune.
My buddy runs an SCT and loves it.

We don't send you the EGR delete tunes. They are available for download on our website. You just need a username/password to access them.

WoodBoy

Reaction score

Does your motor stay on the engine stand?

Latest posts

Members online