Secondary cooling system puking from overflow hose

Jomax

Reaction score
Are you monitoring iat? I'm curious where they are at while the puking is happening

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes, it was about 120-130degrees it was 105 degrees outside.

It's usually about 2-3 degrees warmer then ambient temp when cruising, I was going a bit faster then cruising... Or it increases when towing.

CACT is usually 15 degrees warmer, when towing or running it hard it goes to around 30 degrees warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
My secondary system puked for the 1st time last night after my pull. Wasn't very much but I'm not too worried about it as the day before I swapped to a formed No Limit hose so I probably got air in the system and it boiled out. I have a No Limit IC but like I said not too worried about it as my IAT are always in check. Usually run about the same as whatever the ambient air temp is.

What's the best way to make sure there is no air in the system? Or will it work its way out?

So your IAT is what the truck sucks in from the air filter , you'd want to measure the CACT PID, that's what the temp of the air is going into the motor after the CAC. I bet that's higher then your IAT.

My next plan is to add a coolant temp gauge to the secondary system to see how hot the coolant is getting.

I use a snap on vacuum tool made for coolant systems. I pull vac till there's no air, then it pushes in the coolant. Doing it this way makes sure you have zero air in your system.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So your IAT is what the truck sucks in from the air filter , you'd want to measure the CACT PID, that's what the temp of the air is going into the motor after the CAC. I bet that's higher then your IAT.

My next plan is to add a coolant temp gauge to the secondary system to see how hot the coolant is getting.

I use a snap on vacuum tool made for coolant systems. I pull vac till there's no air, then it pushes in the coolant. Doing it this way makes sure you have zero air in your system.

Use the vacuum refiller to pull a vacuum on the sytem of about 15-20in. Then let it sit for 10-15 min and see if you lose vacuum. That will tell you if the cac is leaking again.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I monitor after my intercooler and I see 140-150 all the time with no puking. Strange.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Anyone figure out a solution to this yet? I started towing on a regular bases and am losing coolant when I do. Dealership pressure tested the secondary system and found no leaks. So I got a new cap. Hasn't fixed the problem.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I'm guessing IAT is measured at the maf then. That makes sense, I always wondered how it cooled off so fast when I monitored IAT on my MM when my edge sensor was so reluctant to drop temp.

Jomax

Reaction score
I monitor after my intercooler and I see 140-150 all the time with no puking. Strange.

When it puked, I honestly don't know how hot it got. But I'd assume 150+ easy.

Are you using the factory IC?

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
So I just found out that there's a temp sensor in the secondary system? Going to see if the cts2 can read it.

Jomax

Reaction score
This is my cruising temps at 75-80

d634c9db56865febea7a5904fbae14a1.jpg

cappa

Reaction score
I thought there was a secondary coolant temp probe from the factory. My 15 has ect1 and ect2. Ect1 is around 100 but after some full throttle will go up to 115 or 120ish. I assumed this is secondary coolant temp. Ect2 runs around 200ish

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I don't use cact I have an edge temp probe inbetween the outlet of the cac and the intake manifold.

Lol I was gonna do the same... took all the piping off to find out the bung isnt 1/8 NPT... fml right...

Is there anyway to get cact through the minimaxx? My CTS2 is stand alone and not hooked up to the truck.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
So I think I have a small leak in my CAC like others have had. If the truck gets up to operating temp it pushes coolant out the cap. Just driving normal across town. But do you guys think I'd be OK with another OEM? Or just get Mikes? Factory is 425$ with a 2 year warranty. But I'm sure mikes is a better product.

Jomax

Reaction score
So I think I have a small leak in my CAC like others have had. If the truck gets up to operating temp it pushes coolant out the cap. Just driving normal across town. But do you guys think I'd be OK with another OEM? Or just get Mikes? Factory is 425$ with a 2 year warranty. But I'm sure mikes is a better product.

Have you tried a new cap first?

Jomax

Reaction score
I had the dealership pressure test my secondary system and found no leaks. Then got a new cap next day. No change.

I guess next thing would be to monitor the coolant temp in that system.

Are you sure you didn't route a coolant line wrong when you lost weight?

Latest posts

Members online