Securing truck to trailer

Reaction score
I've looked around, and I haven't come across any threads on this. I'm sure there's one here somewhere. I know everyone's got their preferred way to secure the vehicle they're towing, but just looking for input. I need to bring my buddies OBS (my old truck) to my place to do a bunch of work to. It'll be a few hundred miles to get it here, and I want to keep it secure. I prefer chains, but get nervous about tearing things up on the vehicle. I've always secured to the axles, but never with chains. Just looking for input from people who know better then I do, whether you use straps or chains.

Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
i use both. Fabric axle straps with steel triangles on each end to hook to. then chains from there to the trailer. the axle straps are gentle and can fit places chains don't.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-in-x-2-ft-5-000-lb-axle-strap/A-p8020704e

You could theoretically use straps instead of chain but i don't like how they stretch and loosen on long drives. They also have the risk of chaffing and tearing.

Chains are great because once they are tight, they typically stay tight. i always cross chain also.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive used chain to tow hooks and trailer hitch in the past with pretty decent results.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Never chain to anything that is sprung weight. I kinda like tire slings but when my truck has been towed we've run a chain from the corner of the trailer, under the axle, over the pinion, back under the axle and to the opposite corner with a binder on the chain. Same front and back. Don't have to worry about pinching brake lines or anything else. Chaining or strapping to sprung weight results in broken equipment.

sootie

Reaction score
Never thought about using my axle straps. Not sure why. That's most likely the way I'll go. What size chain do you use?

3/8" because thats what i carry for moving equipment. overkill for a pickup tho

Ive used chain to tow hooks and trailer hitch in the past with pretty decent results.

bad idea as that is sprung weight. there is always the possibility of a hook bouncing out unless you have it sucked down to the bumpstops.

Never chain to anything that is sprung weight. I kinda like tire slings but when my truck has been towed we've run a chain from the corner of the trailer, under the axle, over the pinion, back under the axle and to the opposite corner with a binder on the chain. Same front and back. Don't have to worry about pinching brake lines or anything else. Chaining or strapping to sprung weight results in broken equipment.

i would be hesitant to recommend that as state laws differ. Many specify four chains over a certain weight or size.

dsberman94

Reaction score
i would be hesitant to recommend that as state laws differ. Many specify four chains over a certain weight or size.

Yes they do. This was back roads and less than 5 miles and flat the whole way. If I was going far I'd use either tire slings or short straps around the axles like someone said above with chain securing the ends just to avoid damage. Keep DOT happy and let them see one binder per wheel if you're going to be in the highway.

sootie

Reaction score
Yes they do. This was back roads and less than 5 miles and flat the whole way. If I was going far I'd use either tire slings or short straps around the axles like someone said above with chain securing the ends just to avoid damage. Keep DOT happy and let them see one binder per wheel if you're going to be in the highway.

so don't recommend your method when the OP is setting out on a several hundred mile journey. duh.

patricku47

Reaction score
I've always used a 2" ratchet strap to each corner, on the axle, and I will stop occasionally just to make sure everything is still tight.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
bad idea as that is sprung weight. there is always the possibility of a hook bouncing out unless you have it sucked down to the bumpstops

Ive tied them down like dirtbikes, you pull the rear tight, then run the front really tight. The biggest ive done it on has been a 94 bronco, but done it to rangers several times. Bronco made it from LA to Phx with no issue. Stopped probably 5 times and checked it at all stops, needed slight snugging at the first stop.

I will agree its not the ideal way to do it, but depending on trailer setup, and how easy you can get under the truck to get at the axles, it does work.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I need to transport a 3600 lbs tractor and have been wondering about the best way to do this. Anyone have any picks?

ja_cain

Reaction score
If it has anchor points my choice would be chains and binders

I agree with chains and binders. VSP is picky about equipment secured with straps.
Thanks guys. I think I have at least two binders here and plenty of chain. I'll post up a pick when I actually have it loaded on the trailer to see what you think.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I use frame keys and 6 straps, two on each side crossing, one from the receiver hitch, and one from the front tow hook. Never had an issue.

I do want to start strapping from the tires, I've seen it done with a strap thru the rims, or just buy those strap nets that wrap the tires.

Going from the axles or tires keeps the straps from getting shock loads, as people in this thread have already said.

9ff1e10339f0f9c3b317264046e77d69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I use 2 straps. One goes under the rear axle then up over the pinion of the diff then back under the axle and pulled back. Front One just goes over the axle tube and pulled forward. Hauled tons and tons of trucks like this never had a problem. Very easy to hook up and un hook.

A7E8380F-C672-405E-91ED-498326C3F74C_zpsqwxiwepi.jpg

EF80D166-73D1-4636-94C2-6371CBCCB260_zpsd1wa8lve.jpg

2F36E29C-4AC2-4942-B77B-7FE1D07BE473_zpssyddldog.jpg

Kind

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what you use whether it be chains or straps they all have a tendency to loosen and should always be checked after a short distance. No matter how good we set the truck or equipment there is always a potential for it to shift a small amount... Which exaggerates the longer we don't re-tighten them.

Personally I never have used chains for hauling my truck and never use anything but chains when hauling equipment. Always cross tie your load and it is best to tighten them down evenly like tightening lugs on a wheel. Makes sure you set the parking brake and don't tighten the straps/chains down on the parking pin.

When it comes to trucks axle straps are the better option as trucks don't have built in secure points. Whether you choose to use chains or straps after that is a personal preference.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
After towing trucks and offroad rigs thousands of mines. Best way is straps with axle straps. two on the front, two on the back. straps crossed. Meaning hook strap to left rear of truck and right rear of trailer. While I cheat around town I would never tow a truck with only two straps on it at high speeds. Any sort of accident and your going to get hit by your load. One strap on the rear is just not strong enough. 2-2" ratchet straps on the rear is barely enough to hold the load in an accident.

Tire straps seem to be what most people in the hauling business use and work very well. I am towing stuff that ranges from small car tires to 40+" offroad tires. So I never tried the tire straps

Another tip. If you are having straps loosen on you. Try a few more wraps on the ratchet. If you pull all the slack out of a ratchet strap, then tighten the ratchet, you may only have less then a full wrap on the ratchet. Less then a full wrap will slide out over time.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
No matter what you use, make sure it this rated for the weight you are hauling.

2 straps rated at 2k lbs each is no good on a 7k truck.

I use hook clusters and chain/binders and hook to the frame. 3/8ths chains and binders. Also have a set of 1/2" chains and binders for the heavy stuff Tighten it down to compress the suspension and good to go. Same way they do it on car carriers.

Keeps the vehicle from bouncing around while you are driving.

Latest posts

Members online