Short Arm 4-link what's the difference PMF vs RCD?

onebadf150

Reaction score
I was looking to upgrade the handling and performance on my lowered 6.4l ec/sb and was wondering if anyone had experience with these 2 4-link system? If so what are the benefits and differences of each?

Thanks

Nick

extreme3807

Reaction score
I'm running the PMF ones. I have no issues with them at all. Improved handling and tightened my steering up. Both are great choices IMO

yduzuhyj.jpg

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Honestly any 4 link you go with is going to be a vast improvement from what you have. With our trucks only one side has joints on the arms so there won't be much difference between kits. I'd go with the one that will give you great customer service so either is a great choice. Lifted but I have a pure performance. I got a steal of a deal on these otherwise it would have been one of the 2.
IMG_20130710_211743_616.jpg

Last edited:

onebadf150

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the post and the pics it's nice to see them on the trucks. I've heard that the 4 link will make the steering more responsive is that true? Does the 4-link smooth out the ride in the front?

dusty9

Reaction score
Love my rcd kit! I'm sure both are great and if you are lowering it with 5.4 springs your ride should improve.

NotStock

Reaction score
I would recommend our short arm 4-link or any 4-link that uses heims only for customers looking for every ounce of performance out of their frontend and every possible elimination of wheel hop. Some loss of street driven ride quality will be experienced due to the heim joints. They have no ability to isolate or dampen road impacts. The geometry of our kit is designed specifically for lowered to 3.5" lifted heights, nothing higher. The geometry between our kit and RCD's is very different, so dont compare our specs to theirs. A couple points to our system and I dont know how that compares to RCD's, as I have never seen their specs or kit.

Heims: 1.25" QA1 (76,200 lb static load capacity)
Tubing: 2" OD .250 DOM

NotStock

Reaction score
It should also be noted that crisper steering response and better handling will also come from the use of heims joints.

NotStock

Reaction score
To clarify my response. I would recommend a kit that uses heim joints only for someone looking for every possible increase in performance and handling but is willing to loose some ride comfort. Harsh impacts from potholes, cracks, and other road imperfections will be more noticeable and transferred up into the frame. Trucks that are driven a ton of miles will also need to replace them faster than our normal joints. Heims are also non greaseabe (most at least) so environments that see alot of salt and such will wear them faster.

onebadf150

Reaction score
Thanks notstock for the clarifications on the systems. Are greaseable hiems an option? How many miles before the hiems need to be replaced?

NotStock

Reaction score
I have seen companies offer greaseable heims but they are rare and I havent ever done any testing with them. Cant really tell you what kind of mileage to expect out of them, there are many variables that will affect this. We have oversized them as much as possible to give as much life as possible.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
I would agree with the heims you do feel the big bumps at higher speeds. The pmf kit is great. I have not ran the truck too hard yet to see what differences it makes, but i can tell you for sure it doesnt feel like a 8k truck in the corners anymore. I can not comment on any other kits as I have not owned or been in a truck with them.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Honestly any 4 link you go with is going to be a vast improvement from what you have. With our trucks only one side has joints on the arms so there won't be much difference between kits. I'd go with the one that will give you great customer service so either is a great choice. Lifted but I have a pure performance. I got a steal of a deal on these otherwise it would have been one of the 2.
IMG_20130710_211743_616.jpg

Didn't realize you ran Pure Performance, never see many of them.

BogginF350

Reaction score
River city diesel uses Kevlar lined heim's with seals that require no maintenance. We have trucks that have been running them for 5+ years unmaintained with no issues. Just simplifies things and keeps it cleaner.

Also, bigger&heavier isn't better when it comes to unsprung weight. That's common knowledge with any legit chassis builder.

Zmann

Reaction score
Also, bigger&heavier isn't better when it comes to unsprung weight. That's common knowledge with any legit chassis builder.

to light, small and broke down on the side of the road sucks it also LOL

going from Radius arms and drop brackets to a 4 link is already a weight savings

and that component isn't classified as 100% unsprung in my opinion since it hangs from the frame and axle

onebadf150

Reaction score
Nostock, what brand hiems do you use? QA1 or Ballistic?

I've had a icon 4-link on my 06 f-250 will either of these kits ride and handle similarly?

NotStock

Reaction score
Onebadf150, I use a QA1 for our short arm kits (stated earlier, but you must have missed it). The Icon 4-link is more similar to our "long arm" kit. There will be a difference in handling between that and the short arm kit discussed in this thread.

Latest posts

Members online