Side of the road. . .need advice.

bluedge8

Reaction score
when I saw the broken tip on Ouch's truck it was obvious, part of the tip was just missing, also check the oil level, you probably have a lot of fuel in the oil by now. 1 inj or all 8 is up to you, 8 is better,,,,

KPSquared

Reaction score
Ok, just to be clear on what has all gone down so far. . .

I pulled all the glow plugs.

I had a hard time getting a socket on the 3rd one from the font on the drivers side so I pulled that injector and let all the oil drain into the cylinder.

I cranked the truck over and let it spray oil/fuel out of that hole that it ran into (with the valve cover over it to catch the spray)

I then watched as we cranked it over and there was a ton of spray still coming out of that hole.

So, I figured it might be that injector. In order to check this, I swapped it with the closest one to the front on the drivers side. Now that hole sprays a huge mist and the 3rd hole is a lot less (like it's getting less as I crank it).

So, I'm thinking that injector is toast but on visual inspection, it showed no obvious signs of damage.

So, I don't think there is still oil/fuel left in the cylinder from when I pulled the injectors and there is a lot of fuel still spraying out of the one glow plug hole.

So there we go. . . that's where I'm at right now. Do you think that it's an injector or do I need to do more to confirm?

KPSquared

Reaction score
Won't be a 7.3 for 500 miles. Found a used set with 26000 miles on them for $600. Might just go pick them up, swap'em out and hope for the best. . .I hate just throwing parts at stuff if I don't know what's wrong for sure.

KPSquared

Reaction score
What's a scan gauge going to tell me on a truck that won't start?

It will crank and smoke but now it won't even start.

On another note, can I run AB codes in an AD truck?

KPSquared

Reaction score
I don't know if that video worked. . . here it is again just in case. . .

th_video-2012-06-03-17-19-42.jpg

KPSquared

Reaction score
Anything from the morning crew? Just wondered if that vid is excess oil/gas from pulling the injectors or if that big spray out of the hole closest to the alternator is what I'm looking for from a bad injector.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Well, I picked up the used injectors and things went down hill from there.

The guy had bought them for his 1999 straight from Ford and used them for about 26,000 miles. Just stock AD codes. I picked them up, picked up a new set of orings for everything and figured we had our problem solved for $600.

Now, I'll admit the next part is my fault for not looking carefully when I picked them up, but here we go . . .

As I started stripping o-rings off, I noticed that 3 of the injectors had a number written on them with a sharpie (1, 6, 8), probably to remember what cylinder they were in. Then I noticed that the other 5 didn't and they still had the oil deflectors bolted on where as the 3 with numbers didn't. Then I noticed that one of the injectors had been taken apart at some point and hadn't been put back together right. The top wasn't set all the way into the bottom, I could see the o-ring sticking up and there were vice marks on the bottom half. Also turns out that 2 of the injectors are AB codes. . .the rest are AD

So, I called the guy, tried to stay calm and said, "Either you are screwing me or the shop that did your work is screwing you. . ." He had no idea. As far as he knew, the shop gave him back his good injectors when he swapped them but it looks like they gave him some crap cores knowing he'd never know the difference. He's going to give our money back and deal with the injection shop. . . that's a crappy way for a shop to operate.

So, I think we are going to order a full set from Full Force and just be done with it. This truck will be sitting for a while now but dad's not stuck anymore so there isn't as much pressure now.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Could you try the good injector and put it in the suspected bad injector and see if that makes a difference?

KPSquared

Reaction score
Already did that. . .the big spray seems to follow the injector I think is bad. . .but no visual confirmation. Looks like all the rest.

Gonna try one of the used ones that I'm taking back while I have them. . .

We'll see

TyCorr

Reaction score
Due to his lack.of.mods, I believe. His saying "All I have is singles, intake, etc...."

He's being humble. Either that or Im being an assuming, imaginative dikc. Either is possible! LOL

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Who said you have to have a predetermined set mods on your truck to be a member of this forum? AKGandy doesn't even have a powerstroke.

Latest posts

Members online