Sigh...another "Which turbo" thread

fastersteve

Reaction score
So apparently it's time for a new turbo.

I don't want to spend the $$ for a T4/XXX.

Truck has PMRs and stock injectors currently. I will probably put some 238/80 detuned to be safe in the future, just in case I decide to beef up the bottom end later.

I'm looking at a 38R with a billet wheel, or the Brute66, or this Big Bad Woof turbo(http://dfuser.com/mfg/powerstroke/73/turbo.php) that sounds similar to the B66.

My question is, how much boost can I safely run with my PMRs without needing studs.

It's not a race truck and never will be, but I wouldn't mind a little more power so long as I don't have to work on it all the time.

Thanks1

DocBar

Reaction score
Do a brute/d66 so its rebuildable. Who wants to buy a whole new turbo when its worn out?
I've been running a 38R since '08 and haven't managed to wear it out. The only complaint I have about it is the noise, but a WW2 takes care of that.

fastersteve

Reaction score
Alright.

So how much boost can I safely run with my PMRs and headbolts? How much with studs?

Is 40 PSI total safe?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Alright.

So how much boost can I safely run with my PMRs and headbolts? How much with studs?

Is 40 PSI total safe?

depends on tuning. crappy tuning and 3000 psi cyl pressure will be bad news.. weather you are adding 10 psi or 50 psi it wont make a difference...

I had PMRs... HAD...

I didn't listen when people said not to mess with em.
Your best option is wait, find a low mile forged rod long block ( or high) I bought a 200k block for 500$ and have been pouring the coals to her since.

just do it now and avoid yourself the hassle of having to get towed home in the middle of a raging blizzard 200 miles from home...

Montgomery P-Stroke

Reaction score
Would like to see a dyno chart for the 38R vs the Brute 66 with the same size exaust housing to see where they shine in the rpm range.

neverkickn

Reaction score
38r and be done

A thousand times yes. It's loud but it works and it works well. This coming from someone who has spent enough on stock chargers to have bought a modded h2e and hypermax mount. Got the shelf full of turbine wheels, turbine housings, compressor housings and turbo wheels to prove it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A thousand times yes. It's loud but it works and it works well. This coming from someone who has spent enough on stock chargers to have bought a modded h2e and hypermax mount. Got the shelf full of turbine wheels, turbine housings, compressor housings and turbo wheels to prove it.

Only reason I can see people not likeing the 38r is because its not cheap to rebuild... but they are pretty tough.. if I can flog the hell out of it for 100k miles and it still keeps on taking it... then im sold... its been nearly a 1:1.5-2 boost to bp ratio almost the entire time..

live life full throttle

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Yeah the 38r is the turbo to go with. I am running 250/100 tuned back for my pmr motor and pmr transmission and my 38r is still pushing 40psi of boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lengelhardt

Reaction score

Do you want to sell any of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.