Single turbo updates?

nickg3130

Reaction score
I know numerous guys have tried out single turbo kits in their trucks with many different sized turbos. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on their setups. Like drivability, power, mpg, and towing. Also what tuning works best for you? Open to any info. Thanks.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
TurboLag.jpg

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Where did you get that pic Big Angry Hillbilly? I been waiting on that turbo but it has been backordered. Maybe it finally shipped

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Rumor has it yours is being assembled as we speak.

Several keebler elves lost their lives during testing of that hairdryer.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
I know numerous guys have tried out single turbo kits in their trucks with many different sized turbos. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on their setups. Like drivability, power, mpg, and towing. Also what tuning works best for you? Open to any info. Thanks.

There are multiple build threads on MPD's 2 set ups.

S475 doesn't drive very well without big fuel upgrades but still does okay is what I got out of them

S366 is a pretty good daily that makes a little more power than the stock turbos would

extreme3807

Reaction score
I am running the 87 mm S475 with a 1.10 housing and I have no complaints about it. With the singles IMO it all comes down to tuning. The O/D is the primary culprit when daily driving. I was running erics x-street with the delay loc tune and I was able to hold the O/D off till 60 mph. For me the turbos really start to light good around 70mph, so as you can see that range between 60-70 mph will cause the turbo to fall on its face.

What are your overall goals with the single? If your looking for power then the S475 kit will work best for you. With the right mixture of fuel and MPD's kit you can be close to or at 900 HP easily.

As far as MPG goes I average around 19-20 hand calculated. When cruising around 75 mph on the highway RPM's are below 2 grand and boost is around 3 PSI.

I did tow my 6,000 lb boat a few times and it did pretty well. The time it takes to build boost on these singles is pretty rough when towing and I had to baby it till I built boost up. You can definitely tow pretty small loads but nothing to crazy.

Overall I am in love with this setup. I have about 700 miles on it so far with zero issues. I am working on getting custom tunes from Mike@KEM which I can cancel the O/D with using the tow/haul button. If the O/D is canceled like it states, I will have zero problems or regrets in running the setup.

08KingRanchF250

Reaction score
Ive had fun with my set up as well and as he stated the o/d needs some tuning and im working on that We well.. but i have the s472 with stock fuel

nickg3130

Reaction score
How about anyone with the 66? Does that seem like a good all around set up for someone who is looking to tow, get mpgs, and gain more power then stock turbos?

BFT

Reaction score
Not bringing MPD down...

What exactly are you towing? IMO, I don't think it'll work for you if you tow heavy.
If you do tow heavy, maybe the batmowheel that they offer or elites tow power atmosphere is something you could look into.

What is it you are wanting to gain with you truck?

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Not bringing MPD down...

What exactly are you towing? IMO, I don't think it'll work for you if you tow heavy.
If you do tow heavy, maybe the batmowheel that they offer or elites tow power atmosphere is something you could look into.

What is it you are wanting to gain with you truck?

The 66 actually is a good towing turbo setup in low elevations
I pulled my 36ft gooseneck with whitey on it to the track a few times

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I have my 66 on, it faster than it was on the stock turbos for sure. Spool up is just like stock if not better, mpg went up some and egt's and back pressure are down. I haven't towed anything other than a four seat Polaris ranger with it but I don't see an issue with towing since it goes with very little peddle effort and spools fast. I'm still going to toss on my S480 with it but no complaints so far on the single.

I do recommend a muffler though because it's pretty darn loud without it.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Big singles at high elevation suck no matter who makes the kit. I would however like to see how they do using the new diverter that sdx came out with. Its supposed to work quite well with big single turbos.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Nick next time I go home let me know if you are around. You are on my way home. I can take you for a ride

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

nickg3130

Reaction score
Oh nice man. I've been in the area of your shop a few times and I've always wanted to stop by. It's only a 2 hour ride so I may be down with one of my friends soon to check it out.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I still have the compounds but its still a fun ride hehe, we are always there so feel free to stop by

Latest posts

Members online