stuck in defrost

justintimemoto

Reaction score
The other week i was driving and i went to change to the floor vents and it would only come out of defrost, no matter what setting i push... The on the fly 4wd dont work unlesss the hubs are locked in. but all the vent stuff used to work no matter what where do i start thanks.

Atsah

Reaction score
Vaccum leak somewhere in the system.. There is a TSB on it..

Some 1999-2006 F-Super Duty and 2000-2005 Excursion vehicles built before 6/27/2005 and 1999-2006 F650/750 vehicles, all vehicles equipped with the 7.3L or 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit a vacuum pump that is inoperative or running continuously. If the pump is inoperative, the climate control system will default to defrost mode and the 4x4 system may also be affected.

Last edited:

vcassens

Reaction score
Try unhooking your vacuum hubs and plugging your lines up and see if that fixes it that is what was wrong with my 04

doubledee715

Reaction score
dealing with this. haven't dug into it, was told the leak could be behind the dash in a worst case scenario. A member told me that's where his was. not what I wanted to hear. It is not my vacuum pump. Will check connections to hub, it's cold out so I plan on dealing with it when I rebuild this summer.

doubledee715

Reaction score
thanks for that video. check vacuum lines, if those are good, get tool to test if hubs hold vacuum. if hubs, he's not sure but he thinks it's an o-ring. Is he right? is it an oring if it is the hubs leaking vacuum? Thanks again good info I needed.

doubledee715

Reaction score
how come his dash vents worked before he turned it to 4hi or 4lo, then it started coming through the defrost. Mine comes through the defrost on any air setting.

Atsah

Reaction score
how come his dash vents worked before he turned it to 4hi or 4lo, then it started coming through the defrost. Mine comes through the defrost on any air setting.

If it's just a leak it will do this.. Mine does this if my fan speed is on high and I put it in 4x4 HI.. If I turn the speed down it will engage the 4x4 and then I turn the fan speed up and it works okay.. He has a small leak somehwere in the system.. His pump seems to be working..

doubledee715

Reaction score
Thanks atsah, my vacuum pump is in good working order also. I haven't looked over all the lines yet I just confirmed it wasn't the pump. now i have a better idea of what lines to look at. blah I hope it isn't the one under the dash.

dmd

Reaction score

If the hubs are leaking the vents will work fine until 4x4 is set. Yours probably is not the hubs.

Arisley

Reaction score
Look under the glove box. There is a line there with a tee in it. Your wife or kids toe can hook it and unplug it real easy.

vcassens

Reaction score
If the hubs are leaking the vents will work fine until 4x4 is set. Yours probably is not the hubs.

Not always true my 04 just wold not work it didn't matter if it was in 4x4 or not and it was my hubs and I have seen a lot of these trucks have the same problem.

doubledee715

Reaction score
if hubs, he's not sure but he thinks it's an o-ring. Is he right? is it an oring if it is the hubs leaking vacuum? Thanks again good info I needed.

was it an oring like the guy in the video said he thought it would be if it was the hub? thanks

Zmann

Reaction score
when the ESOF 4x4is selected the vacuum pulse is only a short duration then stops ,, if your HVAC isn't working properly all the time do to a vacuum leak then you also have a faulty ESOF actuator at the pass fender near the vac pump ,, it isn't sealing off the vacuum

doubledee715

Reaction score
Can someone confirm if I'm missing something that is supposed to be attached to this white plastic piece on the vacuum pump? Or normal?

vacuumpumpplastpiece.jpg

Latest posts

Members online