Sweaty motor

Tom K

Reaction score
'03 7.3 96 k miles got con rods, push rods, valve springs and injectors about 1500 miles ago. Was leaking oil. The oil filler o ring was blown. Replaced that, that took care of most of it. Checked valve cover bolts and cleaned up around there. Only loose bolt was intake plenum. Still dripped a little. I think no big deal
Now, a couple days ago I notice a dribble on the garage floor. Kind of like a/c dripping but it's oily. I finally get under it today, and the back passenger side corner of the block is wet. Oily water is running down from the valley drain hole and dripping off the starter. It doesn't smell like coolant or diesel. Looked in the valley and there's a small puddle that also doesn't smell like coolant. Going to dig into it tomorrow, but I'm kinda worried. Anyone ever see anything like this?
Also, it hasn't rained here in a month so that ain't it. And the truck is running great.
Thanks,
Tom

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
check ur exhaust back pressure valve or the turbo pedistal im sure its more than likely where your leak is coming from check all around your turbo for wetness if you find that is where it is just grab u a set of o rings from riffraff diesel or diesel o rings and that should get u taken care of

ToMang07

Reaction score
check ur exhaust back pressure valve or the turbo pedistal im sure its more than likely where your leak is coming from check all around your turbo for wetness if you find that is where it is just grab u a set of o rings from riffraff diesel or diesel o rings and that should get u taken care of

:whs:

Tom K

Reaction score
More info. It also got head studs. It has no ebpv and the pedestal is dry. The oil is kinda honey colored but it's Royal Purple so it's not supposed to be. I have no experience with blown head gaskets but I have a bad feeling about this...

Tom K

Reaction score
It looks like some miscreant poured a cup of water in the valley and it's running down the back of the motor picking up oil along the way. Like somehow a/c drip is getting over there. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow after pulling the intake spider

Arisley

Reaction score
I am betting that you find a leak in the fuel line that runs from the bowl to the passenger side head. It runs under a clamp on the spider, that clamp likes to rub and eventually rub a little tiny hole in the line.

Easy fix. Go to Home depot and buy a 1/4 inch compression splice. Cut the line completely in two and put the fitting in there. Tighten it down. No more leak.

Tom K

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, fellas. Turns out it was oil. No obvious leak culprit, but one of the oil rail plugs had some pookie on the threads and the empty lifting eye mounting bolt hole below it was full of oil. So cleaned the plug, replaced it, cleaned the valley, put it back together, hope that's it.
Don't know what is up with the water on that corner of the block and tranny. Condensate from proximity to the a/c? Beats me.

TARM

Reaction score
What side of the block? There is that hose that goes right in the corner of the block drivers side. That is a PITA spot if the stupid street fitting they used (at least on my 7.3) as you can not spin it. I found mine was leaking but it only needed 1/4 turn to get it sealed.

Your oil leak you may want to check the turbo ped o-rings many times leak on a reintall. If all the oil is to the rear of the valley and you do not see a trail going forward toward the HPOP or connectors then that is what I would look at. Hope it was just the plug and you got it licked though.

Latest posts

Members online