T-4 mount up pipe welds?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Saturday I received my up pipes back after being corrected, hahaha Im thinking he needs to invest some time into some welding classes or maybe out source welding to a real shop . Maybe someone forget to put the voltage knob on the welder or it's a cheap taiwan junk, these welds look like total ass!!!!!!!!!!

Surely someone with such a critical eye could easily weld up their own?

As others said, post up pics.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I saw them last night & am not impressed either. I know quite a few guys that never took a welding class & could produce better quality welds. The waste gate hole looks like a metal rat with rabies had a field day. This kit looks nothing like the last tig welded one posted.

Quick pic I snapped with my phone last night -

irate.jpg

bigjake0524

Reaction score
That is a rough cut hole! Have you looked inside of up-pipes that are a finished product?

psduser1

Reaction score
That is a smoothed out MIG weld-which is what I understood Jake to say he was going to do.
Never going to make it look like TIG, especially in a rework situation. Sounds like the OP will only be happy with a new tigwelded set?:shrug:
Since that is what Jakes pics were, I'm curious where this ends up.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Saturday I received my up pipes back after being corrected, hahaha Im thinking he needs to invest some time into some welding classes or maybe out source welding to a real shop . Maybe someone forget to put the voltage knob on the welder or it's a cheap taiwan junk, these welds look like total ass!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should talk to Jake,to work out a tig welded set instead of a wled over or smooth out weld.

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Hmmm....Maybe it's just me but if I had a customer that received an obviously bad product, I would make sure the second item he received was above average. Why not just send him a new tig welded set even if it did cost you more money?

Those holes cut in the tops of the pipes do look bad. Why not spend 5 minutes and clean them up?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
The guy agreed to a smoothed weld. Send the damn thing back and get your money back. He'll just send it to anybody else in the world and they will be happy. I'm having flashbacks to the douche who bought headers a while back.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Looks like a mig weld on a thin piece of pipe. I welded some thin stuff when I took a gmaw class. They may not be the prettiest welds but there is definanlty penetration.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Exactly! I don't think you two know the first thing about welding. All that aside, have you even called and talked to him? Seriously. Have you spoken to him personally over the phone? Did you say you wanted it tig welded and not smoothed over with a mig? Are you remotely intelligent and not an internet bad ass hiding behind a keyboard bitching about something just because your pecker is small enough that you have to try to find fault with someone else's product that is doing well and getting more positive attention than you? Let's see? Yes maybe?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Hmmm....Maybe it's just me but if I had a customer that received an obviously bad product, I would make sure the second item he received was above average. Why not just send him a new tig welded set even if it did cost you more money?

Those holes cut in the tops of the pipes do look bad. Why not spend 5 minutes and clean them up?

:whs: In my opinion everything on the pipes but the wastegate hole looks allllright. Mind you I also seen these in person and the part that I was not the slightest bit impressed with, were the welds on the base of the t4 foot.

Exactly! I don't think you two know the first thing about welding. All that aside, have you even called and talked to him? Seriously. Have you spoken to him personally over the phone? Did you say you wanted it tig welded and not smoothed over with a mig? Are you remotely intelligent and not an internet bad ass hiding behind a keyboard bitching about something just because your pecker is small enough that you have to try to find fault with someone else's product that is doing well and getting more positive attention than you? Let's see? Yes maybe?

^^^ That's some quality customer representation for Irate right there! Belittling an unhappy customer, that's the way to take care of things! On the second go around these pipes should've more than exceeded expectations to ensure that the customer was happy. Not to mention potential future customers that have seen these pipes in person.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I have Jakes t4 looks awesome.... The hole looks rough but it's been stated that it's a rough cut hole. When I was at jakes shop I checked out a bunch of his parts. They all look fine to me.

On a side note I'm a farmer, it doesn't matter what looks like as long as it holds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneofakindSD

Reaction score
first off vanderchevy you need to crawl back into the f***** hole you came out of , i was in the process of building my own set of pipes and i was on a tight schedule, ive done alot more metal fab. work then you ever wet dreamed about ,i heard alot of great things about irates products so i bought his pipes and just to open the box and see this is bad , yes i did talk to jake the first time , but this product is sad period.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I personally have an irate mount everything on mine is perfect! I say if you've got a problem take up with Jake and if you feel it can't be resolved get your money back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Ok. So maybe I was a little too blunt. Sorry. Been a little testy the last couple days. However, I meant every word. And don't mistake this for a defense of Irate just because I'm an Irate customer. This exact thing has happened in the past. In fact, its almost a clone thread of the DI header thread. The point is that the guy ordered a set of pipes for like $400 and Jake messed up and rushed them. Jake's bad. He fixed them by going over the welds with a tig welder to flatten the welds for free. However, before Jake made it right, this guy posts it bashing Jake and telling lies to make it worse. Now he's still being a douche and he has never even directly contacted Irate Diesel Performance about it. Yes I'm being a dick. I'm sorry. I'll clean it up. But I would say the exact same comments if this had been with any of the other sponsors.

P.s. Those were rough cut holes. They are cleaned up and ported when the pipes are welded on.

ne-stroke

Reaction score

:wtf:

I know you are Irates number one fan but your being a ass monkey. We all agree that the welds look like chit. Will they hold? Probly Would I actually pay someone for them? Hell No You dont have to use a tig to get nice clean looking welds. For you to say he would ship these to anyone else makes me sketchy about buying from him. He should have just sent the op another set and op send them back. Would suck having to wait on the shipping to get them back. As to the header deal from the past. Those welds still looked 80 times better then these. But dave did not argue or anything. He said it was unacceptable and made it right the first time. I am glad the op posted this so others dont get the shaft.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I will buy them from you for exactly what you paid for them just to see the weld. Seriously. That way I can post proper pics of the whole thing.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm sorry. I could have been nicer about it. I do think though that things have been a little twisted. But do you honestly believe that when the problem was FINALLY brought to Jakes attention, that the guy wouldn't have been told what was going to be done, and he wouldn't have agreed to it before the fix was done? So send it back and tell him you want a new tig welded set of pipes. If he refuses, then bitch. I just think that this has been a little blown out of proportion. If this were anybody else I would say the same things. Yes the guy got a crappy set of pipes. Yes Jake obviously got too sloppy. Its what has happened before and after that has gotten me so peeved.

Oh, and if you (oneofakindsuperdouche) want to make this personal, then pm me. I'll do the same. But if you want I'll post my welding certifications. Can you do that?

Latest posts

Members online