ticking!?!?!?! push rod? piston rod? help!!!!!!!!!

briandale92

Reaction score
It was friday night and just put a flo pro exhaust on my 6.4 on the way to the mall i passed a mustang shelby and they sped up and passed me so of course i followed....i had to the floor and caught up to him and passed him....looked down and my speedometer needle was way past the 100mph. When we got to the mall i noticed a louer tick than what a normal diesel makes....its pretty loud but it drives and idles fine...(not driving it anymore) maybe a little loss in power but i did tune it down from 275 to 175 after i noticed this.....and i think i am going to leave it at this lol. but im hoping its not a piston rod...i have had aftermarket injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump and hpfp on it. Just hoping someone could tell me if their is any way to tell a difference in what it could be. at idle i can hear it...sometimes its not bad sometimes you can hear it really good. also after that happened a code came up for supercharger/turbo boost system performance (p2263). turbo seems to work fine. but the ticking really concerns me thats why im not driving it anymore. it also gets faster as the rpms go up. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fustrate:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
It was friday night and just put a flo pro exhaust on my 6.4 on the way to the mall i passed a mustang shelby and they sped up and passed me so of course i followed....i had to the floor and caught up to him and passed him....looked down and my speedometer needle was way past the 100mph. When we got to the mall i noticed a louer tick than what a normal diesel makes....its pretty loud but it drives and idles fine...(not driving it anymore) maybe a little loss in power but i did tune it down from 275 to 175 after i noticed this.....and i think i am going to leave it at this lol. but im hoping its not a piston rod...i have had aftermarket injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump and hpfp on it. Just hoping someone could tell me if their is any way to tell a difference in what it could be. at idle i can hear it...sometimes its not bad sometimes you can hear it really good. also after that happened a code came up for supercharger/turbo boost system performance (p2263). turbo seems to work fine. but the ticking really concerns me thats why im not driving it anymore. it also gets faster as the rpms go up. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fustrate:

My dually sounds like a old 7.3/6.0 mix with a tick #6fo problems LOL..

Any codes? how is the blow by out of the oil fill?

Last edited:

briandale92

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! and just the p2263. the blow by is average i guess....good bit of smoke but when i do the oil cap upside down on the oil housing it doesnt blow it off. i do have cylinder 8 contribution balance. it comes on and off at times....but this was on before the tick/knocking started. might have gotten a bad injector from the company? Ahhh what a money pit....guess if i didnt start doing all these upgrades this wouldnt have happened.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! and just the p2263. the blow by is average i guess....good bit of smoke but when i do the oil cap upside down on the oil housing it doesnt blow it off. i do have cylinder 8 contribution balance. it comes on and off at times....but this was on before the tick/knocking started. might have gotten a bad injector from the company? Ahhh what a money pit....guess if i didnt start doing all these upgrades this wouldnt have happened.

What kinda "aftermarket" injectors or those bigger nozzles or just aftermarket with stock nozzles? If they are bigger nozzles you should have custom tuning and ditch that spartan. I would pay attention to that #8 CB code could be a few different things.

Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the crankshaft speed and acceleration for each cylinder event. The DTC sets when the acceleration rate of the crankshaft is below or above the calibrated value.

Possible Causes:
• Base engine concerns
• Valve train assembly
• Fuel injector

Post a video of the tick.

briandale92

Reaction score
Okay guys I will post video of ticking tomorrow as soon as i can. im not sure, I got integrity plus 50hp injectors from thoroughbred diesel, industrial hpfp and air dog 2 165 pump.

briandale92

Reaction score
yea....havent found the money to put aftermarket turbos on it yet.....and no just spartan tuned.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
when I got a contribution code it was a melted piston just FYI. sounds like you like living on bought time with bigger injectors on stock turbos with canned tunes...

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Okay guys I will post video of ticking tomorrow as soon as i can. im not sure, I got integrity plus 50hp injectors from thoroughbred diesel, industrial hpfp and air dog 2 165 pump.

after you get the truck fixed sale the Spartan and get a SCT with custom tunes from Mike (bigrpower) (Poster above you) (tuned for those nozzles and pull back fuel since you got stock chargers) your truck will thank you.

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Could be a lifter like Mike said or a rocker. Ditch the spartan. You need custom tunes with anything but stock fuel. And watch close for blowby. You are asking for trouble increasing fuel without air. I bet your back pressure is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
my thoughts are you floated a valve with all that back pressure and either had a lifter come apart or a tweaked push rod due to valve contact.

briandale92

Reaction score
okay thanks with a lifter or push rod would it not misfire? i was told that by a guy at the ford place...but idono how much he knew. it dont seem to be misfiring. it might have a few hiccups you can hear sometimes but not bad. But if i get this fixed and its nothing TOO serious then i will get custom tune and eventually bigger turbo....and drive it easy lol. thanks for all the help guys.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The contribution code is a misfire, just maybe not bad enough for you to notice... Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.4f350

Reaction score
My truck did the exact same thing you're describing, started ticking out of nowhere. I tore it down thinking it was going to be a lifter, turns out the #1 rod was bent causing the bottom of the piston to hit the counter weight on the crank.

Here's what mine sounded like

http://youtu.be/Z9lACJE8K2c

http://youtu.be/m1le6g0vic4

It wasnt throwing any codes, still ran 100% normal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online