04 ex w/low hpop pressure

gwunter

Reaction score
Pics please.
What do you want pics of? Here's what I believe to be 6.4 hg part number.
20240801_204252.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Gentleman, I've had a fairly bad experience with dynamite diesel performance and machine when it comes to sourcing my rebuild kit. The kit they sent me had mostly 6.0 stuff in it. I first noticed they failed when I tried to install the 6.4 rod bearings in the 6.0 rods. (Crossed referenced the number and found out they were for the 6.4) I got on the phone and they made it "right" quickly. While on the phone I also had them check other part numbers. Come to find out the gasket sets were also for the 6.4. (Side note: I also ordered ford oem head gaskets with the kit as well.) Tonight I noticed they didn't swap out the mahle head gaskets for the ford oem(that I paid 150 extra for).

I really wanted to set these heads this weekend. What risks do I run with running the mahle head gaskets? I'm calling ddpm tomorrow morning to see if they will overnight me a set of oem at their costs.

Im just frustrated and venting.

We’ve used mahle head gaskets a bunch, they seem to hold up. Granted the fact they took your extra cash for oe gaskets and left you with mahle is the bigger problem.

Easy way to tell if they’re 6.0 or 6.4 would be if it’s got 18 or 20mm dowels, your 04 should have 18s, 6.4s would have 20s. The 6.4 bolt holes are also larger than the 6.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
Was prepping for the oil pan, and noticed these 2 alignment dowels. I dont remember removing anything from these. We're these for factory machining, or have I lost my mind and misplaced something that goes there?
20240822_195731.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Was prepping for the oil pan, and noticed these 2 alignment dowels. I dont remember removing anything from these. We're these for factory machining, or have I lost my mind and misplaced something that goes there? View attachment 187601

Nothing goes there, you’re good.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm extremely jealous. Been doing these builds for 15 years and never has one been for myself.

gwunter

Reaction score
I wish I could man, id pick up more syrup

We need more pics my man.
I'll see what I can do on the syrup.

Would post more pics of the build, but there would be nay sayers, but maybe most of them have moved on to FB, etc.
20240823_204918.jpg

gwunter

Reaction score
I'm just joshing ya.

That bpd remote cooler?
Fluidyne cooler.

I'm also making some fun things for this engine and will be building a top plate in place of the factory oil cooler/filter setup. I have limited 6.0 experience. Looking at some oil flow diagrams, it appears that the cavity in the engine valley(beneath cooler/filter),is actually the reservoir for the hpop system which see full engine oil pressure, correct? Assuming this reservoir sees full engine operating pressure, other accessories that require oil supply can be fed from this pressurized reservoir?

Been eyeing the bpd plate, and I like it, but would like to make some variations from it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Fluidyne cooler.

I'm also making some fun things for this engine and will be building a top plate in place of the factory oil cooler/filter setup. I have limited 6.0 experience. Looking at some oil flow diagrams, it appears that the cavity in the engine valley(beneath cooler/filter),is actually the reservoir for the hpop system which see full engine oil pressure, correct? Assuming this reservoir sees full engine operating pressure, other accessories that require oil supply can be fed from this pressurized reservoir?

Been eyeing the bpd plate, and I like it, but would like to make some variations from it.

Yeah, the oil reservoir is full psi, we put a bpd race plate on our race truck, there is a port for oil psi in, oil psi coming out of the oil pump, turbo feed, aux feed, which we were told we can also feed the engine thru the aux port, as we’re running a dual external oil pump setup, and no oil pump in the front cover, there is also turbo drain, oil psi switch, and eot location. Make sure that whatever you’re building has an eot provision as it is vital in the tuning of the engine. The bpd kit also has a stainless screen screwed and safety wired to it, so you can ditch the factory screen that’s fairly prone to tearing.

gwunter

Reaction score
Learned some lessons on installing this engine. I never pulled the converter after I removed the engine, but apparently the converter got disengaged from the transmission pump gears. When I went to mate the engine to trans I thought things went together ok, alas no. When I got them mated I tried to turn the engine over and it no go, so atleast I didn't get too far along.

I figured since I never pulled the converter it would still be mated properly....nope. I must have pulled it out just a bit to disengage the pump. Anyway, I got new gears and some seals for the front. Had to drain the trans and pull the filter to remove the front portion of the trans. I think the trans filter seal is stuck in the pump housing(see pic). It's the reddish ribbed seal that I thought normally gets replace when dropping the filter. It seems really stuck in there. I already poked it with a pick, so now I feel I have to remove and replace it. What's the deal with this seal?

Also threw in pic of smushed pump gear.

Live and learn.
20240927_194049.jpg
20240927_185530.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Learned some lessons on installing this engine. I never pulled the converter after I removed the engine, but apparently the converter got disengaged from the transmission pump gears. When I went to mate the engine to trans I thought things went together ok, alas no. When I got them mated I tried to turn the engine over and it no go, so atleast I didn't get too far along.

I figured since I never pulled the converter it would still be mated properly....nope. I must have pulled it out just a bit to disengage the pump. Anyway, I got new gears and some seals for the front. Had to drain the trans and pull the filter to remove the front portion of the trans. I think the trans filter seal is stuck in the pump housing(see pic). It's the reddish ribbed seal that I thought normally gets replace when dropping the filter. It seems really stuck in there. I already poked it with a pick, so now I feel I have to remove and replace it. What's the deal with this seal?

Also threw in pic of smushed pump gear.

Live and learn.View attachment 187663View attachment 187664

Use a 1/2in drive extension. The edges are rounded so you won’t **** up the pump housing. Stick it in the pump, and get the tip of the extension on the filter seal, then basically pry it out. Should pop out fairly easy. You’ll be using the bottom of the pump as your pivot point.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That seal is a ****ing **** but I have always gotten it out with a 90 degree pick, always.

I stay away from picks, as I’ve seen pumps scored to shit from them. You’re obviously better than a dumb ass lube tech, but the last thing I need is to be in a hurry and then have to pull a tranny cause I was too rushed to pay attention where I put the tip of the pick. The 1/2in drive extension has always worked perfectly for me. Was showed that when I first started by the guy who trained me, after he chewed my ass out for using a pick.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
1000013710.jpg
but I smooth the ends. Work deals all day with it but will try your way next time of course

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.